Aldeer.com

SD Hunt thread/spinnoff

Posted By: jdhunter2011

SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/16/18 01:57 AM

Ok goobers I will try to post links to pics and you tech guys can fix it. I will try to post updates since jdbowhunter has started a theme with his Ohio hunt. We are long time friends and talk a lot of hunting and share in each other's success. I will only say we're on a DIY Mule deer or whitetail hunt on public land in South Dakota. We got 1 tag each. I won't reveal much more because I gave my word so don't ask. We sat 4 hrs on I-70 and they literally closed it less then 1/4 mile and 5 min before we arrived. 20 more miles on the other side of Columbus MO and we're good. We didn't make it into camp. Due to storm coming in we left early and was in the truck over 24hrs but we have a hotel room 4hrs from camp. I haven't slept since Wednesday 4:30am. I'm about to crash and we're going to set up camp tomorrow. Worst winter storm we ever drove thru. This pic was when the sun came up just before they opened the interstate and we had drove through worse near St. Louis.
http://a64.tinypic.com/106bon6.jpg
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/16/18 03:08 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JD_Bowhunter1976

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/16/18 03:13 AM

Good luck and be safe, because there’s a lot of stuff that can go wrong being that far out in the wild away from any civilization and without cell service.

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/16/18 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JD_Bowhunter1976
Good luck and be safe, because there’s a lot of stuff that can go wrong being that far out in the wild away from any civilization and without cell service.

Will do bud I think we're prepared. Worst thing of all was I had a terrible case of cramps and straight swamp azz! I've never seen my buddy laugh as hard as when I got out in the middle of the interstate and left a ink mark that would have made the oceans largest octopus proud. I'm talking killer black ice while stuck in a snow storm surrounded by truck drivers. I was the laughing stock of every big rig in Missouri. We could hear the CB chatter "break 19 is that old boy in front of that snow covered truck taking a sh......?????" LOL
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/16/18 12:47 PM

Two guys I know are leaving South Dakota this morning. Both of them got real nice mule deer bucks this week. I know one day the high was 12 degrees.

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/17/18 12:59 AM

We got about 3" of snow and it's been going all day. It's cold boys and still snowing. We made it into camp but very lil service. This guy has some giants on the wall. Only saw 3 mule deer after the snow started but no shooters. We some some really nice whitetails coming in. I found a big rub where we saw the 3. Hopefully tomorrow the weather lets up so we can get around better.
[Linked Image]

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/17/18 01:00 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/17/18 01:08 AM

cool

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 02:54 AM

Got my buddy on his 1st ever mule deer today. We saw deer by the dozens all day long. We let a huge whitetail walk that was bedded with a doe. I really debated on putting the stalk on him. Temp was 12mph with 10mph winds with light snow and winds got higher so we had to move fast. I Saw another whitetail giant running a doe. Most deer I e ever seen in a day the rut is wide open, it's incredible. [Linked Image]
Posted By: alhawk

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 02:58 AM

Congratulations
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 03:20 AM

That's awesome
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 06:15 AM

Congrats. They grow em big up there.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 11:38 AM

That’s awesome congrats!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/18/18 03:35 PM

Congrats on your buddy's buck.

Keep us posted! thumbup

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/19/18 02:48 AM

The boys flat did some killing today! I was behind the gun and had several good stalks. Had to pass a big heavy and wide Mulie because it was a 7pt. Snuck in about a mile, perfect stalk with wind and terrain to get within 100yrds. Had a chance on another really good Mulie but he jumped the fence to private land. It was hard watching him and to do the right thing and not shoot. A couple more whitetail today tempted me. I'm the only one left with a tag and I got sore places I didn't know I had. Gonna get back after them tomorrow, I got 3 days tontag and as many as we're seeing I feel confident. I will try to get the links to the pics up if y'all can keep fixing them.

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/19/18 04:11 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bwhunter

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/19/18 12:06 PM

That's awesome, looks like a lot of fun.

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 02:10 AM

If anyone wanted to bet a 100 I wouldn't tag in 3 days I would have said I'll take that $. It's got comical at this point and my partner can no longer keep up walking. I've went miles in to get a perfect stalk and had other hunters spook them, have seen great ones on private and couldn't shoot, have passed more good white tails than I've ever seen. Last full day is tomorrow so my standards are low and my give a damn has about broke. I didn't know I was capable of walking this much this many days in a row. Beautiful country and we're having a blast but it's heartache going in on these stalks not getting one. Maybe tomorrow, maybe my redneck won't come out, wish me luck boys so I don't come home with tag soup
Posted By: TDunson

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 02:19 AM

Hope to see some pics of a great buck on that last day!

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:56 AM

Good luck!
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 06:22 AM

Good luck. You’ll get him tomorrow
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 06:45 AM

Good luck! Hope you bust a monster.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 07:59 AM

Good luck bud! Look forward to hearing about it

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:18 PM

come on JD dont let us down.... thumbup

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:37 PM

Well I didn't let y'all down other than I missed an absolute giant. Was 5 min late getting to my spot and busted him crossing a saddle I saw him exit yesterday afternoon. Plan was to be in at 1st light and get him going to bed. Almost worked. After I missed him running at 200 we found another herd in the bottom and my 5x5 was with them on a hot doe. 4 days of getting after it finall paid off

[Linked Image]

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:45 PM

Y'all help out if you can and post up the pics for me. I will have a little time later to post some more info
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 04:50 PM

Congrats man!!!

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 05:00 PM

Great job JD I knew you wouldnt let us down! Great dang buck! thumbup

Man whoever steered you to where youre hunting must be a Heck of a guy! beers
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 07:08 PM

Congrats bruh
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 08:50 PM

Congrats and thanks for posting and keeping us updated.
Posted By: top cat

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 08:53 PM

thumbup
Posted By: willdo22

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 09:54 PM

Daaang

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 09:57 PM

I happened to know a guy from aldeer that made a recommendation it's got cold again
[Linked Image]

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 09:58 PM

beers happening in mass quantities now

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/21/18 11:37 PM

Nice pictures JD. Great thread. Im glad ya had fun out there again! thumbup

Yall be safe heading back!
Posted By: alhawk

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/22/18 04:28 AM

Congratulations

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/22/18 06:22 PM

e're headed back now, only 1500miles. We've been socked in a freezing fog for 2 days. Everything is iced up but main roads clear. It's been an adventure for sure. Unbelievable how many deer, antelope, pheasant and prairie dogs we saw. Saw a few eagles and even a porcupine. One of the hunters son got to take a buffalo! Open country up here and beautiful snow covered. Temps got up to 34 and we're acclimated enough now we started dressing like the locals. Felt great after I hunted in 8 degree wind chills. Here's a few more pics of random stuff
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/22/18 07:01 PM

Just looking at those pictures I had to go turn the thermostat up a little............

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/23/18 11:40 AM

Congrats JD!!! Glad to see you connected on the 5x5.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/23/18 01:13 PM

Congrats! Looks like a heck of a trip! Makes me want to get out west even more!

Re: SD Hunt thread/spinnoff - 11/24/18 03:19 AM

If y'all ever have a chance to go to the upper mid west go! If you don't- start saving $ until you can go. Puts Bama to shame. We traveled 1500 miles to get there but worth it. Next trip up I may target a big whitetail. We left at 8:30am yesterday morning and got home today at 6:30am. I crashed for a few hrs. 22+hrs of straight driving. Unless you got 3 in the truck I don't advise that. I thank God we made it home safe! Crazy trip and the most physically demanding deer I've ever got after 4 days of walking. Some stalks less than a mile but most over. The longest was over 2.5miles in so that's about a 5+ mile track back to the truck. Just glad to be home with a couple days to recover. Glad y'all enjoyed the journey with me hope you all have success
© 2024 ALDEER.COM