Aldeer.com

Light discipline in the stand

Posted By: bama1157

Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:16 PM

I have often wondered how far you could see the light from a cell phone if some one is in a shooting house, well I found out this morning that is is a long way, I don't know who it was but the new clear cut on the south bound side of 65 at the Chilton Shelby line but I could see the glow from the interstate this morning.. Has to be a thousand yards
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:16 PM

And you can bet can rest assured that deer see it better than you do

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket62

I was thinking that same thing as I was crossing the county line this morning, the very next thought I had was I wish I could trade places with who ever was in the stand.......
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:46 PM

Who in the heck is looking at a cell phone in the pitch dark anyway? I never use a light. Maybe he was scared of the dark...
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:52 PM

So you saw a cell phone light thousands of yards away while zipping down the interstate. Hmmm
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:52 PM

Does it really bother/alert the deer?
Posted By: MC21

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Who in the heck is looking at a cell phone in the pitch dark anyway? I never use a light. Maybe he was scared of the dark...

Probably Updating the LFTT thread

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
So you saw a cell phone light thousands of yards away while zipping down the interstate. Hmmm

Well lets say I saw a light and it wasn't real bright, last Friday I saw a very bright light coming out of the same shooting house that I figure was a flashlight, it is easy to see the shooting house from the interstate since it is in a clear cut and is sitting on top of a big hill, I am guilty of doing the same thing at times when sitting in a stand waiting on daylight...
Posted By: Runningdeer

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MC21
Originally Posted by Remington270

Probably Updating the LFTT thread

^^^My thoughts as well. thumbup
Posted By: Out back

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:12 PM

Absolutely. You can see the red glow of a cigarette from 1/2 mile.
A cell phone would light up a shooting house like a disco joint.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:12 PM

I NEVER look at my cell phone until the sun is well up. I want any deer to see my location until it’s too late. Once they see something abnormal, They’ll check it every time they come through
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:13 PM

Posted By: joshm28

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I NEVER look at my cell phone until the sun is well up. I want any deer to see my location until it’s too late. Once they see something abnormal, They’ll check it every time they come through

Which is why I turn the brightness all the way down on my phone. I hunt a lot during the week but still need access to my emails. While I would love to hunt some of the better spots on our lease I sometimes HAVE to be in a spot with cell service.

It’s better than sitting in an office though

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:18 PM

Yep what he said
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Groundhawg

I was sitting in a tree once at sunup and turned my cell phone display on. I was promptly blowed at. So yes, I believe it bothers/alerts deer
Posted By: centralala

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 02:38 PM

I don't have to worry about that cell stuff..I don't need to talk to anyone and no one needs to talk to me. Wife knows where I am if she needs me.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:05 PM

Other than checking the weather, I really don't see why anyone needs to be looking at their phone, while hunting. Need to be looking for deer.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:16 PM

It doesn’t help that cell phones are backlit with a blue light. Deer see very well in the blue to ultraviolet end of the spectrum. It’s the reason most detergents for hunting clothes do not have UV brightened. Put it in certain garments and come sunrise or sunset, especially with a moon, and you will glow like a giant light bug in a stand.

That said I keep my phone handy on the stand. I shoot more deer with the video function than I do with a rifle. I check weather trends. I chat with the wife. I know what time it is. I’m also able to help the older gents in my club if they need assistance in a timely manner. But I have the lighting turned down low.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
It doesn’t help that cell phones are backlit with a blue light. Deer see very well in the blue to ultraviolet end of the spectrum. It’s the reason most detergents for hunting clothes do not have UV brightened. Put it in certain garments and come sunrise or sunset, especially with a moon, and you will glow like a giant light bug in a stand.

That said I keep my phone handy on the stand. I shoot more deer with the video function than I do with a rifle. I check weather trends. I chat with the wife. I know what time it is. I’m also able to help the older gents in my club if they need assistance in a timely manner. But I have the lighting turned down low.

Most newer phones have a blue-blocker feature you can enable. I'd be curious to see what, if any, difference that makes in a deer seeing the glow.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:29 PM

I don't think deer are that smart. If they were they would never get close to a shooting house that they see every day. I think they could be spooked by a light if they had been taught to associate it with danger,but I don't see even the smartest oldest deer avoiding an area because he saw a cell phone light from 1000 yards off.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:41 PM

I don't think deer pay it any attention, especially if its elevated. How is a deer going to know the difference between a glow from a cell phone and a glowing moon overhead? Now if it's a bright light that's shining directly on them or all through the woods that's a different story.

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Coosa1
How is a deer going to know the difference between a glow from a cell phone and a glowing moon overhead? .

When it lights up your face.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 04:10 PM

No.
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
How is a deer going to know the difference between a glow from a cell phone and a glowing moon overhead? .

Man on the moon?

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by HippieKiller

Man on the moon?

I figured that was coming.
Posted By: Coosa1

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 04:36 PM

I have had a bunch of deer feeding around my tree in the dark while waiting on daylight or waiting on them to leave so that I don't spook them. I always sit there and read stuff on my phone when its too dark to see the deer. Never had one spook because of it.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 04:47 PM

Who in the world gets in a stand before daylight? and why? I stopped running deer off in the dark decades ago and go to morning stands when I can see safely to shoot. If yall's shooting houses are so dark deer daytime that a cell light makes a different then yall need to let some light in.

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 05:01 PM

What sucks is when you go to take pics of one and forget your flash is on.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 06:59 PM

What sucks is when you’ve been sitting since before first light, in the cold darkness, and about 9am they finally start moving. Then you get a call from a telemarketer and you forgot to silence your phone!
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 07:18 PM

What sucks is when you’ve been sitting since before first light, in the cold darkness, and about 9am they finally start moving. Then you get a call from a telemarketer and you forgot to silence your phone!

LOL yup -- my ringtones are bird/nature sounds ... but i also silence my phone before i ever leave the house ...
Posted By: Groundhawg

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 07:19 PM

I was sitting in a tree once at sunup and turned my cell phone display on. I was promptly blowed at. So yes, I believe it bothers/alerts deer

Okay but was it the light or the movement?
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 09:01 PM

N

What really sucks is you set down your phone on the base of your climber. You accidentally kick it off because one is too fat to loosen his shoe strings without some bounce back when you bent over. Then you raise your foot to reach the strings and the base of your climber slides down the tree. Then you remember those fancy 3rd hand archery straps .........and they dont seem so expensive now. At around 8 pm your spouse is calling and you can hear deer running away. BTW carrying an extension ladder into the woods is not something you want a woman to do.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/13/18 09:41 PM

I was halfway up a tree one morning a few years back and mine went off and I had forgotten to silence it. It was my buddy calling. He was on the other end of the property and his climber cut loose on him and his tether rope was too long on his harness. He was standing on the top half of his climber when I got there. I had to climb up under him in my climber to get his situated so he could get back in it. Don’t climb hickories boys and girls.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/14/18 02:33 AM

He was starting a LFTT thread on Aldeer.com!!!!
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/14/18 03:22 AM

I always get situated at least 30 minutes before shooting light. I walk In either in the dark or by use of green pinlight. I have Walked within 10 yds of deer with that light.

I would Rather be in my stand when light approaches as opposed to walking in to my stand. Gives my scent time to settle and let the woods awake. I have Shot several deer within minutes of daybreak. If I had Been walking in I may Have never known they were there, much less shot one.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/15/18 03:21 AM

^
I kill a lot of good ones at first light. Gotta be there.

Light discipline isnt that important to a deer.
Posted By: WildlifeBiologist

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/15/18 03:56 PM

Maybe he wasn't looking at his phone. May have used the phone flashlight to get gear out of a pack.
Posted By: capehorn24

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/17/18 02:52 AM

Have we as society got that dependent on phones that we have to constantly look at a phone?
Posted By: bama1971

Re: Light discipline in the stand - 11/17/18 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by capehorn24
Have we as society got that dependent on phones that we have to constantly look at a phone?

Yes

(From a phone, in a treestand)
© 2024 ALDEER.COM