Aldeer.com

Socks

Posted By: 3FFarms

Socks - 11/13/18 04:20 AM

A lot of threads about keeping warm here lately. I don’t have too much trouble keeping my body warm but I CAN NOT keep my feet warm. I don’t have any fancy socks and my boots are knee high lacrosse with 800 (I think) grams of thinsulate.

Please advise me on what I need to do to keep my feet from sweating and for keeping them warm.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 04:23 AM

Get some shoes that can breathe. No airflow will make your feet sweat and that makes them cold. I'm guilty of wearing boots that don't breathe to.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 04:36 AM

My feet get cold too and the only thing that helps me is wearing a thin “liner” sock under some wool socks.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 04:43 AM

Bought some socks from Cabelas before my elk hunt last year. Was surprised how big a difference it made. But $$$
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 04:44 AM

Yep ....get rid of the rubber boots and buy some Danner or Irish Setter in the 400gram and you won’t have another problem. I had lacrosse and my feet froze with wool socks. I swapped to the Irish setter in 400gram and I wear them with normal socks and my feet are never cold now.
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 04:46 AM

if your feet are sweating they are warm your just getting them wet then they get cold try wearing a moisture wicking sock liner. maybe thinner socks if youve already got 800g boots maybe try thinner socks bundling them up more is gonna make them sweat more I wear 1000g boots with regular work socks down to the teens and i wish i woulda went with alot less boot insulation 400-600 is plenty
Posted By: jb20

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 05:33 AM

As said above moisture wicking socks then add toe warmers...I can wear uninsulated boots in 20 degree weather and be fine for a few hours
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 06:20 AM

I use no scent deodorant all over foot to stop sweating. Wear a liner and a 100 percent wool sock.I also will ad an insole warmer if it’s brutal cold. My hands and feet are skin and bones and it’s a battle to keep them warm.Boot blankets go with me if I’m going to sit instead of stalk.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 08:56 AM

My feet get cold too, and I prefer rubber boots. I wear a poly liner sock under my wool socks and I use a good unscented Antiperspirant spray on my feet. Once I'm in the stand I use Arctic Shield boot covers. On super cold mornings, I put a hand warmer on each boot toe before closing the cover.
Posted By: grundan

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 09:15 AM

This is the same thing I do minus the rubber boots, I wear lightweight hikers, boot blankets and hand warmers are the bomb.

Originally Posted by perchjerker
My feet get cold too, and I prefer rubber boots. I wear a poly liner sock under my wool socks and I use a good unscented Antiperspirant spray on my feet. Once I'm in the stand I use Arctic Shield boot covers. On super cold mornings, I put a hand warmer on each boot toe before closing the cover.
Posted By: .308

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 10:37 AM

I think the warmest combo I've ever had was the cheap 200 or 400 gram China boots from Walmarks. There was plenty of room & I used a thin sock liner & thin wool socks. Sweaty feet won't stay warm no matter what boot I wear. On really cold days I used artic sheilds over my boots, a pain in the arse but my feet stayed warm.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 11:08 AM

I have found that if I am a metal stand to hang my toes/front part of foot off the stand to keep them off the cold metal,helps
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 11:17 AM

Easy thin poly-pro liner , then a medium to thick pair of wool socks and the boots below . That is if you are serious about warm feet.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/foo...reme-pac-boots-brown/722130.uts?slotId=7
Posted By: BC

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 3FFarms
A lot of threads about keeping warm here lately. I don’t have too much trouble keeping my body warm but I CAN NOT keep my feet warm. I don’t have any fancy socks and my boots are knee high lacrosse with 800 (I think) grams of thinsulate.

Please advise me on what I need to do to keep my feet from sweating and for keeping them warm.

Throw those Lacross' in the garbage and buy some Artic Pro Mucks. Invest in some good wicking socks to keep moisture off of your skin.
Posted By: Spottedbass

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 12:10 PM

I use liners and wool socks. The last pair of lacrosse boots I bought a size larger. It made a world of difference having a larger boot on.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ParrotHead89
I have found that if I am a metal stand to hang my toes/front part of foot off the stand to keep them off the cold metal,helps

Putting a rubber mat on metal stands makes a huge difference. I also leave my boots unlacec while I walk in and change socks when I get to the stand.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 01:07 PM

I don't think rubber boots are the problem. Make sure you've got some air space in there (not too tight) and get some good merino wool socks.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 01:23 PM

Arid xtra dry. Unscented spray deodorant. The silver in the spray makes ur feet stop sweating (anti perspiring). Spray ur feet twice a day. Takes abt a week or so to make them stop sweating. A special forces medic told me abt it. He was stationed somewhere really cold and that was some of the locals remedy.

Loose fitting boots
Thin church socks

Or be lazy and just slap a toasty toe on top of ur sock
Posted By: icducks

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 01:28 PM

All I wear is a thin pair of moisture wicking socks. I got some under armor knee highs that I like really well
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 02:05 PM

Artic Shield boot covers, add hand warmer if needed. Period, end of conversation.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 02:09 PM

Y'all need to toughen up. It's Alabama winter, not Montana.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by hunterturf
Arid xtra dry. Unscented spray deodorant. The silver in the spray makes ur feet stop sweating (anti perspiring). Spray ur feet twice a day. Takes abt a week or so to make them stop sweating. A special forces medic told me abt it. He was stationed somewhere really cold and that was some of the locals remedy.

This... for the money this is probably the most economical fix that's out there. Until you try it, you probably have no idea how much your feet sweat inside a boot.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 03:11 PM

I have zip up 17" 800 gram boots. I put my liner sock on and walk to the stand. I leave them unzipped while I walk. At the stand, I kick off the boots one at a time and put on my wool socks and add toasty toes at this point if I think I will need them.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 03:25 PM

I wear the small little short cotton socks walking in to absorb the sweat, then change out socks at the stand to a merino or alpaca wool sock. I do this with muck woody max or I also have some Lacrosse pac boots like 2dogs posted. With the woody max you can add hand warmers and/or boot blankets and not get cold.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 03:28 PM

Merino Wool socks......Sams Club used to have some that used virtually the exact same "ingredients" as the Smart Wool socks, but they were like 1/3 the price....not sure if they still have them but by all accounts they were every bit as good.

Also, make sure your boots aren't too tight. They should be loose enough that they can trap a little warm air around your foot.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Socks - 11/13/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedbass
I use liners and wool socks. The last pair of lacrosse boots I bought a size larger. It made a world of difference having a larger boot on.

Best advice. Period.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Socks - 11/14/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by hunterturf

Loose fitting boots
Thin church socks

Or be lazy and just slap a toasty toe on top of ur sock

This has been my formula and it works. Toe warmers only on the coldest of days. 20 and below, otherwise, keep them dry and it is no problem. the only problem is finding the spray on unscented anti perspirant these days. If you see some, snatch it up. I have a hard time finding it.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Socks - 11/14/18 01:04 AM

Take 500 mg Niacin. Seriously.
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Socks - 11/14/18 01:44 AM

I wear tenny shoes now with diabetic socks. Crazy feet stay hot now. I use to have freezing feet and super expensive boots. I really believe that it is the required large size of my shoes that gives plenty of room for air to circulate with loose but warm diabetic socks. Outside of crossing creeks I aint ever wear boots again.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Socks - 11/14/18 02:11 AM

Thanks for the help guys!
Posted By: kntree

Re: Socks - 11/14/18 09:05 PM

I guess that aboot covers it.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by FurFlyin
Take 500 mg Niacin. Seriously.

My doc prescribed Niacin after my Kidney Stone. You are right though. When those hot flashes and flushing kick in you won't notice that your feet are cold. I quit taking the stuff and have a profound sympathy for menopausal women.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 01:40 AM

Thanks for the help guys!

You can spend a lot of money or you can get these three items

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-lifetime-guarantee-all-purpose-wool-socks-for-men

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/yaktrax-thermal-insoles#repChildCatid=1502615

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-pac-ii-boots (2 sizes bigger loose at top)

Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 01:54 AM

Does anyone use boot blankets?
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 02:18 PM

In addition, make sure your feet are dry when you get out of the shower. I take a hair dyer to my feet and toes. No point in starting off with damp socks before you get out of the truck.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe

I get tired of hearing this. Some of you haven’t spent much time up north in the winter. 10-15 degrees with almost no humidity feels warmer than our 25 with 80% humidity.

I’ve had guys hunt with me from all over the country and they all freeze down here due to the high humidity.

Brandon

Swap your boots as others have mentioned and buy a GOOD pair of Marino wool socks. When it gets stupid cold take a big rubber band and strap a hand warmer to the top of your toes on the outside of the boot. This should solve most of your problems
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 02:42 PM

On cold mornings a toasty toe on top, really cold mornings toasty toes on top and bottom. You can get them at most hunting sections and they are the peel and stick kind. They will last about 4-5 hours.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 02:50 PM

A lot of threads about keeping warm here lately. I don’t have too much trouble keeping my body warm but I CAN NOT keep my feet warm. I don’t have any fancy socks and my boots are knee high lacrosse with 800 (I think) grams of thinsulate. Please advise me on what I need to do to keep my feet from sweating and for keeping them warm.

main thing is to try to not let your feet sweat; i've had good luck with the Bass Pro Treestand merino wool socks ... & i'm using the exact boots as you ... when it's real cold, i use those stick-on Toasti Toes & i can usually last about 4-6 hours then ...
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 03:04 PM

It sound like your feet are sweating thus making your feet cold. I would stop wearing the lacrosse rubber boots, their good boots but they may be to warm for you. Invest in some merino wool socks and some boots with less or no insulation. As others mentioned you can also rub deodorant on your feet to reduce sweating.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 03:18 PM

your toes need wiggle room. your feet need merino wool socks, maybe with a thin sock liner first. wrap your feet once you're on stand with a little blanket, or use the fancy boot covers. and lay off the caffeine expect for a single cup of joe. switch to hot chocolate and/or water while on stand. caffeine raises your capillaries toward the surface, thus radiating heat in your extremities ...
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28

I get tired of hearing this. Some of you haven’t spent much time up north in the winter. 10-15 degrees with almost no humidity feels warmer than our 25 with 80% humidity.

Yep. I hunted 2-3 single digit mornings in January of 2018. If that's not cold, I don't want to know what is. I know that's "warm" for some of y'all and you hunt in a wife beater and flip flops grin
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270
Originally Posted by joshm28

Yep. I hunted 2-3 single digit mornings in January of 2018. If that's not cold, I don't want to know what is. I know that's "warm" for some of y'all and you hunt in a wife beater and flip flops grin

wife beater and crocks.. we would never hunt in flip flops laugh
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 04:46 PM

I don’t begrudge a man for his many stages of comfort levels, some days are just those kinda days, especially when sitting.

The mass of the footwear can be a major player in the convection and transfer of heat and cold. The more cold azzed mass in footwear the colder your feet will be. In sub freezing temperatures your feet will most likely be warmer with just a pair of nylon socks and thermal socks with no footwear than it would be with a leather or rubber boot on top.

I actually wear socks and croc sandals on some of the coldest days

Paulfish is right to. In addition the caffeine makes you piss more.
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Does anyone use boot blankets?

They are awesome.saw them for $20 off somewhere recently...Bass Pro maybe?
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 08:06 PM

Unscented spray antiperspirant made a HUGE difference for me. I wear Salomon boots that are super breathable. When I get to the stand, I toss a big hand warmer on top of my foot and put them in artic shield boot covers.

If you're not wearing Darn Tough Socks you're probably missing out. I've worn everything from Smart Wool, Wigwam etc and Darn Tough is far and away the best of the bunch.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dreadpiratebob
Unscented spray antiperspirant made a HUGE difference for me. I wear Salomon boots that are super breathable. When I get to the stand, I toss a big hand warmer on top of my foot and put them in artic shield boot covers.

If you're not wearing Darn Tough Socks you're probably missing out. I've worn everything from Smart Wool, Wigwam etc and Darn Tough is far and away the best of the bunch.

I use Lorpen. They are 90% merino wool and 10% Lycra. They stay put and keep my feet warm and dry but are pricey at $25/pair. They last at least 3 years though. I’m in year 3 with two pair and they have not worn any thin/bare spots.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Socks - 11/15/18 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaredhunts
Get some shoes that can breathe. No airflow will make your feet sweat and that makes them cold. I'm guilty of wearing boots that don't breathe to.

Nailed it... My feet don't get cold at work but, wearing rubbers all day make for some sweaty feet. I usually try to change socks, don't want no swamp foot
Posted By: 243Win

Re: Socks - 11/16/18 01:44 AM

I cheat. I have insulated mucks with chaps that were bought for coon hunting. I wear a regular sock to the tree and once I'm there I remove the sock and put on a pair of wool socks and them slip on my attic boot covers. No more cold foot. I need to find a way to keep the sniffling runny nose at bay lol
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Socks - 11/16/18 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 243Win
I cheat. I have insulated mucks with chaps that were bought for coon hunting. I wear a regular sock to the tree and once I'm there I remove the sock and put on a pair of wool socks and them slip on my attic boot covers. No more cold foot. I need to find a way to keep the sniffling runny nose at bay lol

This, all day long, everyday.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Socks - 11/16/18 01:55 AM

Compression socks help me better than anything. Firstlite compression wool socks are the best I have ever found
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Socks - 11/16/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by rulebreaker
Artic Shield boot covers, add hand warmer if needed. Period, end of conversation.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM