Aldeer.com

3rd Positive CWD in MS

Posted By: wmd

3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 05:25 AM

A doe in Issaquena County - same county as 1st case. Bummer.

Latest CWD link
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 01:50 PM

Crap
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 01:55 PM

Not good
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 01:59 PM

So how are yall going to feel when it is found here? I wonder how long prions exist in the soil? When they take out the herd in a 10 mile circle of positive ID I guess that makes sense but not if prions just stay dormant in soil / environment?
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 02:16 PM

CWD prions are good at binding to soil, especially clay-based soils, and that they can persist there. When some of the soil where an infected dead animal had been buried was injected into research animals several years after it had been buried, the injected animals came down with prion disease.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 02:17 PM

not known how long the prions will last in the soil, but it is know they stay for a number of years.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 02:17 PM

It sounds like prions last longer than cockle burrs and cock roaches. I think it is inevitable that CWD will be in Alabama within the next 5 or so years, and I don't think that the experts really know exactly how it is transmitted in all possible ways.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 03:01 PM

It's a boogeyman. Supplemental feeding would be outlawed all together with jail time penalties. I honestly think it's a power grab. I LOVE DEER HUNTING AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I also know that diseases come along and effect animal populations. If it's coming it's coming. Whether in a pickup truck or crow crap. Don't want it and don't need it. Deer will find a way around it.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/10/18 04:24 PM

I would say it is more likely than not that it is already here in Alabama. We just haven't found it yet. If it is not, it will be here in a few years. Diseases are just a part of nature. The deer herd adjusts and moves on. The herds in CWD states up north are doing just fine. Thinking we are somehow stopping CWD by outlawing a Eufaula hunter from bringing his Georgia kill back into the state is silly. We have hundreds of miles of open borders with surrounding states and the deer walk freely back and forth every day. CWD is already confirmed to be 50 miles from our western border.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 12:59 AM

How many of you will stop eating deer meat when it is confirmed in the area you hunt.
Posted By: Turkeyjery1

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 01:14 AM

Is CWD in Kanas as well. I was watching Bone Collector last night,
Micheal Waddell. and T- Bone was sure pour the corn to the deer.
They poured a whole 50 gallon garbage barrell of corn out and then
bow hunted on top of it. They killed 2 monster bucks over it.I realize
It's legal to hunt over bait there, but if CWD is there, that's really no helping
the problem. Futher more for the big time hunting shows are killing
there big deer over bait,
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 01:14 AM

I'll stop
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Turkeyjery1
It's legal to hunt over bait there, but if CWD is there, that's really no helping

The first Kansas CWD deer was detected in 2005
Posted By: GKelly

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Turkeyjery1

because deer never eat in the same place naturally can you name one study that proves feeding deer increases the rate of transmission or are you spewing hearsay?
Posted By: GKelly

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/11/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I'll stop

your to old for it to matter anyway I probably wont stop. what will keeo it from spreading to cattle if infected deer eat from the trough? no telling how much beef is processed that has it but aint left alive long enough to show symptoms
Posted By: 300gr

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 03:18 AM

My brother saw a stumbling deer in the field in front of my house. He was coming out of the driveway at night and the headlights hit it. Said it looked like it was about dead. He went back the next day to look for it in the woods beside the field but didn't find it. How long after a deer dies can it be tested? It was probably drunk off persimmons or maybe wounded I hope.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 11:21 AM

CWD hasn't affected Nebraska. 499 positive cases since 2001. I'm averaging 30+ a sit. Ive seen over 30 bucks between 120 and 140. But what do I know. I been coming here since 2005 and I see no decrease in the whitetail herd even after s horrible EHD outbreak. They bounced back just fine.

Guy with game and fish laughed when I asked if CWD wasn't hurting the herd.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 11:28 AM

I honestly think it is here.
And, it will be found this hunting season with the increased awareness and testing.

I also think that it has probably been here for a long time........
Hopefully long enough that our deer have somewhat of a resistance to it.

Just what I know about Scrapies in sheep & goats tells me that it is possible for different subspecies/breeds to be much more resistant to it than others.
Posted By: BruteX

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 01:56 PM

I think its been here for along time. They are only finding it because they are looking for it.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jallencrockett
So how are yall going to feel when it is found here? I wonder how long prions exist in the soil? When they take out the herd in a 10 mile circle of positive ID I guess that makes sense but not if prions just stay dormant in soil / environment?

We know the prions stay in the soil at least 30+ years based on the the first case in CO. The facility was depoped, cleansed and deer were returned a little over 30 years later and began contracting CWD.

I don’t believe states are still doing the “try to eradicate deer” so it doesn’t spread. It simply isn’t affordable. Yearning buck dispersal accounts for its natural spread, so it should be relatively slow. However, as deer (live and dead) are moved from place to place the spread happens faster.

Some out there act as though EHD is a bigger problem than CWD. Here in AL EHD is not 100% fatal, far from it but CWD is. EHD does kill lots of deer in the Midwest when it rolls through but it isn’t something they deal with on an annual basis. The populations recover with time. With CWD most evidence shows that with time prevalence rates increase and so does the area impacted. This can be a pretty slow process but looking at AR, their prevalence rate and hot area has increased pretty dang fast.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper
CWD hasn't affected Nebraska. 499 positive cases since 2001. I'm averaging 30+ a sit. Ive seen over 30 bucks between 120 and 140. But what do I know. I been coming here since 2005 and I see no decrease in the whitetail herd even after s horrible EHD outbreak. They bounced back just fine.

Guy with game and fish laughed when I asked if CWD wasn't hurting the herd.

Hasn’t effected KS either!! Our biggest threat to the herd is the senseless doe slaughter that has taken place over the past 15 years. A doe a day for 4 months is insane!!
Posted By: donia

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by wmd
A doe in Issaquena County - same county as 1st case. Bummer....

this one was killed on a wma...makes you wonder if it would've been sent to a check station had it not, since the other 2 were bucks.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 04:37 PM

What precautions, if any, do hunters need to take if they find a dead deer that is suspected of having EHD or CWD? Is it a do not touch situation?
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by NightHunter

We know the prions stay in the soil at least 30+ years based on the the first case in CO. The facility was depoped, cleansed and deer were returned a little over 30 years later and began contracting CWD.

I don’t believe states are still doing the “try to eradicate deer” so it doesn’t spread. It simply isn’t affordable. Yearning buck dispersal accounts for its natural spread, so it should be relatively slow. However, as deer (live and dead) are moved from place to place the spread happens faster.

Some out there act as though EHD is a bigger problem than CWD. Here in AL EHD is not 100% fatal, far from it but CWD is. EHD does kill lots of deer in the Midwest when it rolls through but it isn’t something they deal with on an annual basis. The populations recover with time. With CWD most evidence shows that with time prevalence rates increase and so does the area impacted. This can be a pretty slow process but looking at AR, their prevalence rate and hot area has increased pretty dang fast.

NH, I agree EHD isn't 100% fatal but it can wipe herds out in localized areas. Ive seen it so bad in southern tennessee that you couldn't drive down a creek for the smell.

CWD hasn't decreased any wild deer herds that I've seen. Have I missed something somewhere?
Posted By: Shotts

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by NightHunter

To date EHD has been a much more significant issue in Alabama than CWD and likely will cause far more deer deaths for the foreseeable future than CWD. I suspect EHD will continue to kill significantly more deer in pretty much every state than CWD for the foreseeable future. This baffles me from the state perspective as EHD is just accepted as it is what it is yet CWD is the proverbial "antichrist" and must have massive resources thrown at it to combat it.

Its nice to hear that depopulation is too costly for other states to try and implement in the wild. I hope as this threat evolves we see that option removed from Alabama's response plan as well.

The spread in Mississippi doesn't make sense to me based on the numbers tested and it moving "naturally" from the delta to central Ms in such a short period of time. I haven't done the statistical analysis but based on the numbers tested in the Issaquena county zone they should have very high confidence that it is not widespread there despite having found two cases. Statistically this doesn't make sense unless it has a higher prevalence there. If this is the case it could argue that it maybe more widespread than expect which doesn't bode well for finding it here.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 10:47 PM

They were talking about it on fox6 news the other night, warning alabama hunters to be careful. If the news has been told to start putting out the propaganda, something is about to go down.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/13/18 11:30 PM

I think the biggest fear of CWD is the possible transmission to people. I'm not sure if it is as big of a threat as some of the information says.

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/14/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlabamaSwamper

CWD hasn't decreased any wild deer herds that I've seen. Have I missed something somewhere?

Purely from a statistical standpoint...now that antlerless populations are showing 30% prevalence rates across some (not all) states that have been positive for sometime have put populations at risk. If populations are roughly at CC or slightly below, the rule of thumb is there is roughly a 30% surplus on the landscape from that years recruitment. If you are removing 30% with mortality from CWD (which is 100% fatal) you lost the bulk of not all of the surplus. Most state agencies try to manage so that the 30% surplus is managed (removed) through hunter harvests. The additive mortality rates combined is not sustainable. So...something will eventually have to give in those areas. Some populations reach it quickly, others seem to be very slow. That’s where a lot of the questions lie. Heck, AR has not been positive too terribly long and are already seeing 20+% prevalence rates.

All that said, I don’t believe the sky is falling but it is a major concern. I definitely think we’ll learn more in the next 5 years than we know up to this point. Some things sound as though there is hope but then some others make the situation a little more dire. I’ll be interested to see some things published in the next few years.

Lots of research going on about plant takeup, prion loading requirements for transmission, how it can be transferred (urine, scat, brain matter, nervous tissue, semen), and more info on possible live testing. We’ll see what comes out, hopefully some good news

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/14/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by 40Bucks
What precautions, if any, do hunters need to take if they find a dead deer that is suspected of having EHD or CWD? Is it a do not touch situation?

No, you don’t have to be terribly cautious. It is typically recommended that you don’t eat any deer that seems sick or died of unknown causes just to be safe.

If you see a deer acting strange or find one dead that is fresh (I stress this part, FRESH), call your district WFF office and they’ll get the info to the technical staff who will if at all possible come take what is needed for testing.
Posted By: 243Win

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/14/18 01:16 PM

If this stuff lives in the dirt and clay then I'm sure hunters bring it back on their boots and maybe even under their truck where the tires have slung clay and mud up. Haha yall gonna have to wear hair nets on your boots
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/15/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by BruteX
I think its been here for along time. They are only finding it because they are looking for it.

As Cousin Eddie says, “Bingo!”
Posted By: J_C

Re: 3rd Positive CWD in MS - 11/20/18 06:48 PM

I was looking for something else, and saw where there is a Bill being introduced about CWD research.

https://www.jones.senate.gov/newsro...-bill-to-tackle-chronic-wasting-disease-

Didn't know if that was already posted.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM