Aldeer.com

Hunting before work

Posted By: gcr0003

Hunting before work - 10/15/18 07:13 AM

Anyone have a story of killing a deer before work and fighting time to get him field dressed and processed or to a processor before work? I'm itching bad to go this afternoon opening day before my night shift and I am trying to have a game plan together if I actually shoot one. Sunset at 6:15 pm, work at 9:30, 10:30 at the latest. If it was cold I figure it'd be fine to leave over night, but during early bow season there's not a chance. I would also appreciate tips on field dressing and hauling deer etc.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 09:20 AM

What if you end up having to track? That blows your schedule if you end up shooting one at what you consider is the last possible moment.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 10:05 AM

I've been late to one of my wife's family events before because of slaying a deer. It didn't bother me in the least.

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Smells
What if you end up having to track? That blows your schedule if you end up shooting one at what you consider is the last possible moment.

I'm fully aware of that
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 11:47 AM

If I ever have something pressing to do after hunting or try to squeeze in a hunt before something it always seems something happens. Either I have to choose between taking a shot and being late or something else happens to press me for time.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 12:02 PM

Works out better if its cold....i hunt after work alot..3-5 days a week.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 03:37 PM

I occasionally go before work. It ends up being stressful if you’ve got to be at work by “x” time.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 03:41 PM

i'll turkey hunt frequently before work - 'cause dealing w/a turkey is simple - but a deer? nope
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 03:57 PM

This is what sick days are for.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 07:40 PM

I won’t do it. it isn’t very enjoyable for me sitting there in a stand knowing I have to go into work afterwards. Something always tends to happen.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude
i'll turkey hunt frequently before work - 'cause dealing w/a turkey is simple - but a deer? nope

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 08:37 PM

I enjoy being in the woods, so it’s nice to sit before work. That being said I’ve seen 2 does today and though they weren’t in range I think I’ll go with the wiser route and just observe since I have work shortly after.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 10:47 PM

Just call in drunk if you kill one
Posted By: Out back

Re: Hunting before work - 10/15/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 3toe

That is what RETIREMENT is for! smile
Posted By: jb20

Re: Hunting before work - 10/16/18 12:00 AM

I killed my biggest before I took kids to school i missed work to track and find that one lol
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 04:00 AM

I cant enjoy anything if im lookin at the clock waiting on work lol. Not for me
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 12:01 PM

Can't do it for deer, too much time if I kill one. Now duck or turkey and I'm your guy. You can through them in a cooler and make it to work.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 01:02 PM

I’ve done it. It’s highly stressful and you don’t get to enjoy the moments when you kill one. Every time I try to squeeze a hunt in with limited time something happens I didn’t foresee.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 02:34 PM

I have done it, and it is stressful and not nearly as enjoyable- MBROCK is spot on. IF you shoot a deer, tracking episode or not, it throws everything off. I have found some afternoons are easier during the week, but still stressful to some degree because someone is waiting on me to get home. I plan to do MUCH LESS of either this year.
Posted By: BREEZE1

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 03:50 PM

This is where a good friend would come into play.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BREEZE1

To track and process a deer you shot? That would be a GOOD friend.
Posted By: MC21

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

I mean I would do it. I would expect something in return though.
Posted By: jb20

Re: Hunting before work - 10/17/18 07:12 PM

Guys if u can hunt before work hunt...u don't have to shoot everything but theys very few people on this site that wouldn't shoot a 150 incher and deal with whatever consequences.. unless u know u will get fired id go...i never been able to hunt middle of day but I hunt evrry morning before school when thers light and i swear I actually killed a good buck on my lunch break once I saw it cut the corner of field the day before and I had permission and went the next day same time same place.. my friend skinned it for me

Re: Hunting before work - 10/18/18 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Remington270

znrichie how good of friends would you say we are haha
Posted By: AC870

Re: Hunting before work - 10/18/18 11:28 AM

I prefer after work. You have a little more time.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Hunting before work - 10/18/18 01:23 PM

Depends. Could you call in sick if you got a bigun? I could do it with my job... if I could go that is. Problem is I have to be there at 8am. Not a lot of hunting time before 8.
Posted By: Jotjackson

Re: Hunting before work - 10/19/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Out back
Originally Posted by 3toe

That is what RETIREMENT is for! smile

I agree, I have really enjoyed my first five years of retirement. No schedule but my own.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Hunting before work - 10/22/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by BamaGuitarDude

Yup, cleaned a few longbeards in my darkroom back in the days when I was a photog. Ducks were left at the house for when I got back home.

I always killed a deer when I was pressed for time, never was fun dealing with it after the kill.
Posted By: MPbow_man

Re: Hunting before work - 10/22/18 04:25 AM

I’ve done this one time and it wasn’t my favorite hunt...but would I do it again? Absolutely! I do have a cut off time on when I won’t shoot anything though and just enjoy the view and being in the woods.

Re: Hunting before work - 10/22/18 10:23 AM

In the woods now... work at 2:30
© 2024 ALDEER.COM