Aldeer.com

Hunting AG fields

Posted By: roscopeecotrane

Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 12:42 AM

I’ve picked up some Farms to hunt. I have always hunted big open hardwoods, creek bottoms and pine plantations. The ag fields are huge and have smaller patches of woods with mixed trees. Any advice from you guys that hunt ag fields? I want some pics of what is there but with corn everywhere on the ground from the combines what could I put out to get a few pics before bow season opens and where should I start with hanging stands?. Thanks
Posted By: grundan

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 12:54 AM

They will bed in them hedge rows. It will surprise you how many deer stay in them little patches of trees. Better get the wind right or they will blow out of there
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 01:43 AM

Don’t get deep in fields and stay out of the woods. Set up some good ladders or tri-pods and wait till rifle season. My preference is to be able to cover 500-600 yards.

If you try and get through the fields you WILL bust deer out consistently. The key is to access a few stands unnoticed.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by grundan
They will bed in them hedge rows. It will surprise you how many deer stay in them little patches of trees. Better get the wind right or they will blow out of there

This
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 02:33 AM

Edges
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by NightHunter
Don’t get deep in fields and stay out of the woods. Set up some good ladders or tri-pods and wait till rifle season. My preference is to be able to cover 500-600 yards.

If you try and get through the fields you WILL bust deer out consistently. The key is to access a few stands unnoticed.

Big ag fields with pockets of timber here and there is about all I've hunted my whole life. Listen to this man ^^.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 05:16 PM

find the trails, you can put your camera and some corn inside the woods in a staging area they hit before going into the field to get pics. We never plant food plots on the very edge so that we can watch tracks and drive around field to retrieve kills. Get some good binos for gun season. They come to the edge and look for does during the rut, and never actually enter the field. Sometimes they'll have trails that run parallel to the woods edge and just walk by winding the fields. Get some shooting sticks to brace yourself on longer shots. For bow hunting, find the acorn trees. I'm like nighthunter. I try to stay out of the woods till gun season. Put stands for different wind, try to keep cover like NH said when going to stands. You'll probably end up moving some stands next year when you see what they're doing. They're pretty routine around ag fields. They'll have 2-3 trails to access a field that they'll always seem to use. Make sure stands are hidden cause alot of times they'll stand inside wood line and look. Especially if they're by themselves, so you need some cover as well. They'll learn you as fast as you learn them if not faster.

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 05:21 PM

i like to hunt the back corner of a field thats kind hidden from sight due to a terrace or something. They seem to feel more comfortable if they're hidden.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 05:31 PM

Get you a good accurate rifle, put the best glass on it that you can afford, and go to the range and get comfortable shooting at 200-500 yds. Set up just as far away from it as you are comfortable shooting. Enter and exit without them ever knowing you are there. Unless you have a 100% safe entry where you dont have to cross the fields, I would avoid hunting it in the morning when you will be bumping deer that are still out in the fields feeding while you are making your way in. I love big AG fields but you'll need to adjust the way you hunt if you're used to hunting where you're getting in there on top of them.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 07:16 PM

Hunt the afternoons only or you will blow them all out of there and spook them for weeks.

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 08:03 PM

when i hunt morning, get close to the field or as close as i can. And hunt from the ground with binos until i can see good enough. that i know there aint any deer in the field before i climb. I never climb in the dark. Even in the afternoon. i dont climb till i've scanned the field with binos
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
when i hunt morning, get close to the field or as close as i can. And hunt from the ground with binos until i can see good enough. that i know there aint any deer in the field before i climb. I never climb in the dark. Even in the afternoon. i dont climb till i've scanned the field with binos

We did this or get there extremely early. We killed far more deer including mature bucks in the am on our ag fields.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/17/18 08:28 PM

I suggest you go this weekend and climb, watch where the deer enter and leave the fields. Then hunt it accordingly. Hunt safe
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/18/18 12:16 AM

some advice , take it or leave it where you found . dont mess up the drains and ditches . if its muddy and wet around the fields dont rut it up . if you have to drag the deer , drag it !!! those are the best and fastest ways to piss off a farmer .

and close the gates !!!!!
Posted By: Blessed 1

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/18/18 01:04 AM

A lot of good information above. Be patient, especially if you have not hunted it before. You can do more damage than good around small wood lots if you spook them. Use satellite maps to connect the “dots” from bigger sections of woods/thickets. As mentioned above, access is critical.
PM Sent
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/18/18 01:12 AM

Park in field about 4 in truck. Binos and gun out window. Mirror makes a fine rest. Best shooting house ever made
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Hunting AG fields - 09/18/18 02:01 AM

thumbupSpoken like a true farmer. There's been literally truckloads of deer shot off of tractors and out of trucks that those deer see and here everyday in those same fields. This man knows about what he speaks. I'll also say that the leather seats in my king ranch are by far the most comfortable seat I've ever hunted out of.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM