Aldeer.com

Feeder question

Posted By: Dquailhunter

Feeder question - 09/11/18 09:51 PM

How many is a good number to have on about 150 huntable acres? Do you have just a couple to concentrate them more to those areas. Or run a few more to provide more feed throughout the property
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 11:28 AM

If your going to supplemental feed, pick an area you don't hunt, and put the feeder there. One feeder will be enough. If your plan is to bait, well use your own judgement.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 12:51 PM

I would use 2, maybe 3. Ive found that even on smaller properties as yours that all the deer on it will not travel to just one feeder as you think they would. I run cameras on feed and mineral sites and I will always have a buck or two that will only show up on one feed site and none of the rest.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 01:51 PM

Just one. We will run one next to the cabin at our place. Don't expect deer to hit it during daylight during season. But may help keep a doe or two around for late season.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 02:40 PM

I wouldn't have more than 2
Posted By: CNC

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 03:09 PM

It depends on how much cover you have on your place. Doe groups compete for resources….food and cover…..social dynamics. The intesity of competition depends on the number of deer and amount of resources. If resources become limited due to too many deer or too few resources…..food or cover….then there’s a ramped up amount of social stress between doe groups. You’ll have one group that will establish itself as the dominant doe group and they’ll do there best to hoard that resource for themselves and keep the others run off from it. However, if there’s plenty of food and cover for the amount of deer…..then they’ll just eat, sleep, and act merry.

If you have plenty of prime cover on the place then I’d run as many feeders as is feasible for you to run on the 150 acres. Food sources will become scarcer in late season and doe groups will start shifting around some. Don’t make doe groups compete over one feeder. If you can run 5+ then run 5+…. ……Agin though, this is assuming you also have plenty of bedding too. Spread them out….Don’t bury them off deep in the bushes ….put them in easy to access areas…Disturbance is the biggest downside to having cameras and feeders so don’t visit them no more than you have to..….
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Feeder question - 09/12/18 09:28 PM

Probably 2, depends on how the land is shaped. If it is like 4-40's in a row maybe 3, if it is basically square then 2.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM