Aldeer.com

3-week Card Pull

Posted By: GomerPyle

3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 01:28 PM

pulled a card yesterday after letting camera sit for 3 weeks....

409 pics, Total

2 pictures with deer (1 doe in each)
2 pictures of a hen turkey
1 picture of a coyote
3 pictures of crows
2 pictures of a squirrel

399 pictures of stinkin'-azz hogs

$%@#$!
Posted By: jono23

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 01:41 PM

All cameras did for me last season was convince me to sell my cameras. I got some pictures of some nice deer, but mostly got pictures of other crap that lead me to believe there weren't any deer around. I saw more deer hunting last season then I ever have, and watched them walk around my camera lol.

I'll help you with some hogs...I've never shot one.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 01:49 PM

Dont put corn out anymore if that's what your cam was watching. Kill or trap those hogs asap, they will ruin your deer hunting
Posted By: Remington270

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 01:55 PM

That's a pretty sad card pull!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 02:01 PM

My grandson pulled one of mine the other day and there were close to 2,000 pictures of a dang limb moving in the wind, at least I didn't have any hogs..

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Dont put corn out anymore if that's what your cam was watching. Kill or trap those hogs asap, they will ruin your deer hunting

If it was my call, we'd be having an ALDeer get-together with rewards for most killed and biggest killed, but alas, it isn't my call

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by jono23
All cameras did for me last season was convince me to sell my cameras. I got some pictures of some nice deer, but mostly got pictures of other crap that lead me to believe there weren't any deer around. I saw more deer hunting last season then I ever have, and watched them walk around my camera lol.

I'll help you with some hogs...I've never shot one.

Normally, I'd agree with you....but I'm pretty sure this place truly doesn't have many deer anymore......saw 2 all last season combined (including bow season), can't find any sign. I'm depressed.....Is it march yet?
Posted By: Out back

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 02:57 PM

If you got that many hogs, I'm betting most of the deer have moved on.
Sounds like y'all need to dedicate this season to hog hunting.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 03:19 PM

If I pulled a card after 3 weeks and it didn't have but 409 pics, I'd be moving that camera.

Fwiw, one of the best places I've ever hunted had a bunch of hogs, too.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
If I pulled a card after 3 weeks and it didn't have but 409 pics, I'd be moving that camera.

Lol....this WAS after moving it. Previously it'd sat for I think 10 days and had like 113 pictures or something like that.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Lol....this WAS after moving it. Previously it'd sat for I think 10 days and had like 113 pictures or something like that.

That can definitely be disheartening. All I can say is try to stay positive and good luck this season.

On the upside, hogs are delicious.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 03:48 PM

i will be more than happy to rid you of them hogs.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:04 PM

Where do you hunt?

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:09 PM

The best places I've hunted didn't have a bunch of hogs
Hogs will make deer leave the area

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by MTeague
Where do you hunt?

Greene Co, north of the interstate, an area that should be covered up with deer.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

I've heard folks say that, but haven't seen that to be the case, personally.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:27 PM

It’s probably the stinky britches. grin Where at exactly in Greene County?

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 04:29 PM

I have, in several different areas.
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 05:22 PM

That would definently be discouraging. I've always said that I would love to have some hogs to shoot at on my property but it seems like you can't just have a few to shoot at your either infested with them or you have none. Luckily I do not have any on either one of my properties.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 06:47 PM

I have, in several different areas.

I don’t see them eating together in greenfields or anything but our deer seem to have gotten used to the hogs. There’s plenty of both at my place and I’ll see some deer and pigs in the same hunt at least a few times a year. Wish we could get rid of the pigs but I don’t know if that is possible
Posted By: Morris

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 08:44 PM

If you got that many hogs, I'm betting most of the deer have moved on.
Sounds like y'all need to dedicate this season to hog hunting.

This exactly^

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jdfarm23

I don’t see them eating together in greenfields or anything but our deer seem to have gotten used to the hogs. There’s plenty of both at my place and I’ll see some deer and pigs in the same hunt at least a few times a year. Wish we could get rid of the pigs but I don’t know if that is possible

You don't have enough pigs yet.
When you do, the deer will leave.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 09:43 PM

Where do the deer go????

We seem to have ample #’s of both.
But, if there is some huge Congregating Area somewhere that all the displaced deer go, I want in on it!!! smile

The hogs are aggravating as Heck!
And, if you are baiting your camera sites, you may we’ll get the impression that all you have is hogs. But, that is extremely unlikely.

BTW, I pulled a camera last week that 2868 pics of deer and turkeys, no hogs, in a bean field.
Then, I pulled another in a Milo field just down the road that had over 600 pics and was mostly hogs. But, had a decent amount of deer and turkey pics, too. So, it just tells me what each ones preferences for food is.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild
Where do the deer go????

They go where the hogs ain't.
In my area (central Alabama) the hogs are nomadic.
They tend to exhaust a food source and move along.
Deer will move out of an area with hogs, until the hogs leave, and deer move back in.
Posted By: Tightline

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 10:25 PM

If your camera isn't over head high, (higher the better) that could be your problem. Pigs don't help.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/10/18 11:59 PM

Where do the deer go????

Deer will move out of an area with hogs, until the hogs leave, and deer move back in.

I've only been in 2 clubs that had a pile of hogs. Neither club had a problem with hogs running off deer. Maybe your deer just don't like your area too much anyway.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 12:06 AM

Where do the deer go????

I've only been in 2 clubs that had a pile of hogs. Neither club had a problem with hogs running off deer. Maybe your deer just don't like your area too much anyway.

And maybe you're just a phucking idiot

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 12:07 AM

Where do the deer go????

And maybe you're just a phucking idiot

You're the one without the deer.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 12:45 AM

Where do the deer go????

Bingo

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 01:06 AM

And you're the one without a brain.
You're a phucking idiot.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 01:08 AM

Lmao.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2
Where do the deer go????

Bingo

I’ve seen it also and you hunted with me not far from that spot Brad.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by jdfarm23

You don't have enough pigs yet.
When you do, the deer will leave.

Maybe you’re right, but we’ve killed damn near 100 pigs this year. If it takes more than what we’ve got to run deer off, I’d hate to see that day come
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 01:23 PM

So, are we talking the ‘area’ in from of the Camera, i.e. the cornpile?

Or, are we talking 10 acres, 100 acres, 1000 acres, or what, that the deer leave?
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 01:47 PM

I have seen both on the same greenfield, in Alabama. This was within 40 miles of where the OP hunts, near York, AL.

Deer won't stay close to the hogs, but I see them regularly within 20-30 yards.

I have seen 30-40 pigs on a field, with deer within 50 yards. If there is a feeder, pigs will try to chase the deer away from it, but the deer don't necessarily leave the county, or even the green field.

I will also add, that if deer and hogs couldn't be in the same area, Texas wouldn't have any deer at all. While I was hog hunting out there last year, I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen. Low fence, I did not have permission to shoot deer, just pigs and turkeys, and a 12 point typical that would score well over 200 was feeding within 50 yards of a sounder of pigs that had 20-30 in the 100 lb range. There were also 2-3 smaller bucks and 10-15 does on this food plot while the pigs were there.

I have seen pigs chase deer away from feeders, but they don't usually go far.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 04:00 PM

down here the hogs and deer have found a way to co-exist. We just got a new hog hunting property in sampson thats full of hogs and completely wrapped up with deer. So many deer that on some of the land they're paying $49 an acre (1000 acres)to lease. They aint got much choice to co-exist cause there's hogs everywhere down here.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 04:39 PM

So, are we talking the ‘area’ in from of the Camera, i.e. the cornpile?

Or, are we talking 10 acres, 100 acres, 1000 acres, or what, that the deer leave?

Mine was a 60 acre block of hardwoods surrounded by private land so that was my only area I experienced it. Went from every year prior seeing deer every sit in bow season to only seeing 2-3 that year. After a while they did get use to the pigs but that first year they showed up they pushed the deer out.

Re: 3-week Card Pull - 09/11/18 10:06 PM

Mine was last year on 1200 acres there is a section that is probably 100 acres that 58 hogs moved into. I did not get a picture or see a deer while hunting for almost 30 days until I finally caught them all. Once I caught them it took the deer about 2 weeks to return. Once they returned a boar moved back into the area and began feeding in the 2 plots. Deer would be in the plot and once he arrived each day the deer would run off over and over. I finally shot him after he ran off a nice 8 and 9 pt.

The deer did not leave the entire 1200 but dang sure moved when the hogs came in and took over their bedding area and food source
© 2024 ALDEER.COM