Aldeer.com

Freedom Hills WMA

Posted By: ALgrillbilly

Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 05:23 PM

Looking for links to good maps and and other helpful info for hunting this area. Myself and agroup of buddies normally do a December camp and hunt in Bankhead NF but this year it was suggested we try out Freedom Hills WMA. I know zero about this area and was hoping someone here might be familiar with it.

Thanks

Matt
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 05:42 PM

Ain't no deer on Freedom Hills!
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ALgrillbilly
Looking for links to good maps and and other helpful info for hunting this area. Myself and agroup of buddies normally do a December camp and hunt in Bankhead NF but this year it was suggested we try out Freedom Hills WMA. I know zero about this area and was hoping someone here might be familiar with it.

Thanks

Matt

24hourcampfire.com group?

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 07:26 PM

Yup. Looks like we will be staying at Bankhead this year. But freedom Hills makes be on for next year.

444Matt over at the fire.

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by trlrdrdave

Lol must be good huh? We’ve heard it’s a better place than Bankhead but all hearsay.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 07:51 PM

There are some nice deer killed each year on Freedom Hills. It has better deer density for certain than Bankhead, but no where near the genetics. Don't get me wrong, some nice ones killed but nothing like the big deer killed on Bankhead/Black Warrior WMA every year.

I hunt Freedom Hills a good bit during gun season, have seen deer more times than not. Never seen a good one while hunting, but have had a few nice ones on trail cameras. It's fairly hilly terrain similar to Bankhead.

If you want to see some examples of what FH can produce (and you're on Facebook), scroll through some of the photos on this page:

Mash Here

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/06/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ALgrillbilly
Originally Posted by trlrdrdave

Lol must be good huh? We’ve heard it’s a better place than Bankhead but all hearsay.

Never set foot on either place.But with moderate interest and research,I've drawn some conclusions.If a trophy buck is your goal,Bankhead has them,but it will be well- earned.If you just want to kill a deer,Freedom Hills would be a better choice.Good luck...
Posted By: subtlevibe

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/16/18 11:11 PM

just moved up to the shoals area and I've been out there scouting some, mostly around the mt. mills road lookout tower side. the terrain is pretty brutal and there's huge swaths of inaccessible areas. some of the oak hollows look pretty well traveled but if i shoot a deer down there retrieving could be a nightmare

Re: Freedom Hills WMA - 09/19/18 01:26 AM

Yeah,you're not in Houston county anymore grin
© 2024 ALDEER.COM