Aldeer.com

Protein Blocks

Posted By: HenryCoHunter

Protein Blocks - 09/02/18 04:27 PM

Has anybody had luck finding a protein block for deer that doesn't ruin the first time it gets wet? I got 1 from Wally World the other day, made by Biologic. After a couple light rains and a week later, it smells worse than a chicken plant on a 100 degree day and has nasty worms/grubs all in it. And all that was coming to it before it ruined was squirrels. Just seeing if y'all had any better luck with any other blocks.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/02/18 06:29 PM

Big and J. Record rack.
Posted By: RiverWood

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/02/18 07:59 PM

Protien blocks are more of an attractant than diet supplement for deer. Just do the math and figure how insignificant a 50 lb block containing 20-30% protein would be for a deer herd. Sure a deer may be attracted to something with flavor or smell but not gonna do much to supplement diet. Consider using the homemade mix of TM salt + dicalcium phosphate + koolaid. Cheap, attractive to deer, last a long time, and could do a little good for antler and bone development. Just my $.02 but I think protien blocks are another successful marketing gimmick to separate well meaning hunters from their money. Way better and cheaper methods to supplement a deer herds protien diet
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/02/18 08:50 PM

I just recently used a bag of Big and J powder. It does appear to work. I had 883 pics in 3 weeks.

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/02/18 09:16 PM

Thanks guys. I will try the Big and J or the homemade mix next year for sure.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/05/18 03:45 AM

Wildlife blocks from Tractor and supply work well

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/05/18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tigger85

Sportsmans Choice?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/05/18 06:26 PM

My deer won’t touch them they will rot.
Posted By: ScentFreeHunter

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/05/18 08:52 PM

I agree, protein blocks are pretty much a waste of time and $. Stick with a home-made mix or salt/mineral block. Look for blocks that have a lower salt content (low 90's %). If the block you buy has 98 or 99% salt, it not only will dissolve a lot quicker in the rain, it will also not give the deer as many minerals, which is what they really need. The salt is just for taste.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/06/18 09:44 PM

WE for a few years put out protein blocks, protein feed, planted summer food plots (deer really appreciated it) but it make 0 difference in the quality, quantity or size of our deer. This is over a 15 year period. We quit doing that about 5 years ago and our deer quality, size and number have not increased. The natural food for deer is all the need except late in the winter and yes we do plant winter plots.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/07/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by willdo22
I just recently used a bag of Big and J powder. It does appear to work. I had 883 pics in 3 weeks.

Look at the you tube test video of B & J. I was going to buy some until I saw the You Tube video. B&J and corn put out for a week side by side with camera. Deer barely touched B& J and it got moldy but they tore up the corn. Basically shows no difference between corn and B&J and B&J much more expensive.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/09/18 10:23 AM

Just had the exact same experience with the Biologic block. Recently acquired a spot to hunt that had an old lick so I just bought the cheapest block Wal-Mart had to try to re-establish the site and get some pics. Didn't realize it wasn't a true 'salt block'.

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/09/18 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunt1988
Just had the exact same experience with the Biologic block. Recently acquired a spot to hunt that had an old lick so I just bought the cheapest block Wal-Mart had to try to re-establish the site and get some pics. Didn't realize it wasn't a true 'salt block'.

That sucker stinks when it breaks down don't it?!
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/09/18 02:40 PM

You guys talking about the biologic biorock that's sold as a mineral/salt block? If so,I put one out about a month ago but haven't been back up to check it

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/09/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by slayinbucks24/7
You guys talking about the biologic biorock that's sold as a mineral/salt block? If so,I put one out about a month ago but haven't been back up to check it

No, it's a protein block made by Biologic. Its brown with some peas and corn mixed in it...supposedly has 20 something percent protein, buts its junk. I think the biorock is 90 somethin percent salt.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/10/18 01:30 AM

Hell, plant some honeysuckle or briars. Higher in protein, renewable and the deer love it.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/10/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by HenryCoHunter

Sportsmans Choice?

That's it
Posted By: James

Re: Protein Blocks - 09/10/18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by HenryCoHunter