Aldeer.com

Best fall food plot.................

Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 10:51 PM

for deer and turkey in sandy loamy soils? I hunt where 75% of our fields are this type soil. We have a few that are clay mix but looking for a good seed mix that will grow well.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:02 PM

Peanuts
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:10 PM

Corn you planted in may.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
Corn you planted in may.

Corn will be gone by December. I need something to make it to spring for the turkeys besides crimson clover. They gonna get corn regardless if it's planted or not.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:14 PM

Crickets.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:23 PM

Wheat/oats/clover.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
Wheat/oats/clover.

We have done that and have two plots that don't hardly do sheeeit regardless of the fertilizer or ammonia nitrate we throw out. Some do ok with that but two of em totally tank every year.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla
Wheat/oats/clover.

We have done that and have two plots that don't hardly do sheeeit regardless of the fertilizer or ammonia nitrate we throw out. Some do ok with that but two of em totally tank every year.

Then nothing is gonna grow well until you get your soil right.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla
Wheat/oats/clover.

Then nothing is gonna grow well until you get your soil right.

We put out lime back in May on all our plots. Doubled up on these two bad ones. They should be coming into their own come December cuz we went exactly by the guidelines the soil samples set out for us.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:44 PM

Then I refer to my previous recommendation.

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/12/18 11:55 PM

Then I refer to my previous recommendation.

It will go out as scheduled whether it makes or not cuz we keep it in our budget. Maybe I should have specified more. Will broadleafs such as rape, chicory, radishes, and or winter peas work into this or anything else I could put into it. We are open to any seed mix as long as it will grow in this soil. Money for planting isn't an issue. We can cover that side of it. We don't wanna buy anything extra for these two if they won't grow in this type soil. Even if we can afford it we don't wanna throw our money away if we can't get any production out of it.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 12:13 AM

Oats,clover,triticale
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by ridgestalker
Oats,clover,triticale

That combo is hard to beat.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 12:20 AM

Early bow season can't go wrong with a stand of oats...02

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 12:25 AM

Oats,clover,triticale

I assume you mean crimson clover? We have been doing that just not the triticale.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 12:55 AM

Triticale is a mixed version of rye/wheat. Produces tonnage.
Posted By: bward85

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 01:20 AM

I've had good luck mixing rape in with my fall plots....it grows well in the sandy soil and the deer seem to prefer it after it's had a good frost on it.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/13/18 02:19 AM

I buy a mix with triticale,oats,wheat,winter peas and a radish that does well on my sandy loam. I add more Buck Forage oats to it and top with Apache Arrowleaf clover, a red clover and last year Berseem clover.
Posted By: kntree

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/14/18 11:32 PM

Some research on aces.edu publications would be beneficial. For sandy soil like Macon county AL, I've had success with cereal rye, rye grass (maybe not as palatable for deer), arrowleaf clover (which will carry you beyond the crimson production), white clover (ladino, which is perennial). Whatever you do, you will have to fertilize and lime more frequently in sandy soil due to nutrient leeching (not necessarily the same amount with other soils, just more frequently).
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 12:43 AM

repeat after me Buck Forage Oats.. next

didn't read for turkey..
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
Oats,clover,triticale

That combo is hard to beat.

This is what I go too with our sandy loam soils. Did great last year. Going to the Berseem clover this year too.
Brad, How did you like the berseem?
Posted By: BradB

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 02:46 AM

Honestly have no clue how it did.Between work and a major home remodel I am pretty much doing myself I have not been up since May. It was coming on good but I don’t know how it held up.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 11:27 AM

Spread a mix of wheat and oats for your cereal grains and then cover it. Throw some Austrian winter peas, arrowleaf clover, ladino clover, and either rape or turnips on top and then cultipack.

We have sandy loam at our place and have had a lot of success with this mix for a lot of years. Deer in it as soon as we plant and then the turkeys work them pretty good in the spring stripping the oats when they head out and the clover takes off
Posted By: CNC

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 12:32 PM

In sandy soils, cereal rye really does well......I'd use it as a base for any mix.

https://www.sare.org/Learning-Cente...Version/Nonlegume-Cover-Crops/Cereal-Rye

"The hardiest of cereals, rye can be seeded later in fall than other cover crops and still provide considerable dry matter, an extensive soil-holding root system, significant reduction of nitrate leaching and exceptional weed suppression. Inexpensive and easy to establish, rye outperforms all other cover crops on infertile, sandy or acidic soil or on poorly prepared land. It is widely adapted, but grows best in cool, temperate zones.
Taller and quicker-growing than wheat, rye can serve as a windbreak and trap snow or hold rainfall over winter. It overseeds readily into many high-value and agronomic crops and resumes growth quickly in spring, allowing timely killing by rolling, mowing or herbicides. Pair rye with a winter annual legume such as hairy vetch to offset rye’s tendency to tie up soil nitrogen in spring."
Posted By: MoonDog

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 07:06 PM

Standing corn that was planted in early May.....
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Best fall food plot................. - 08/15/18 11:13 PM

[quote=jallencrockett]repeat after me Buck Forage Oats.. next

Are they as good as Dr James Kroll says they are.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM