Aldeer.com

Skinning Shed

Posted By: lefthorn

Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 01:10 PM

Building a skinning shed for the club. Got an idea but wondered if anyone had suggestions

[img]https://imgur.com/gallery/BcR6C3m[/img]

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 01:11 PM

And apparently I don’t know how to post pics
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 01:42 PM

It would probably be as easy to dig through that concrete as to dig in that ground up there. Lol

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
It would probably be as easy to dig through that concrete as to dig in that ground up there. Lol

True. Maybe we don’t need concrete but thought it would keep us out of the mud
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by lefthorn

You're right. I was just making a joke about how hard the ground is. Anchoring posts to a slab is probably the easiest way, too.

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 02:12 PM

You're right. I was just making a joke about how hard the ground is. Anchoring posts to a slab is probably the easiest way, too.

Thought you were bringing post hole diggers
Posted By: CAL

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 03:03 PM

I have one almost identical to this at our place. One thing I’m going to add is a short piece of towing strap anchored to the concrete directly below the skinner. Use a pair of vise grips to attach hide to strap while lifting carcass leaving the hide on the ground. You’ll have to readjust it a few times during the process.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 03:36 PM

I would build that as tall as possible. By the time you add a gambrel, scale, Hook etc the head won’t be as high as you hope. It sure is nice to be able to raise all parts of a hanging deer to your own comfortable working height while standing.
Posted By: garyo

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 03:41 PM

I know you have thought of this , a good drain system

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by garyo

We don’t have water there so...
Posted By: Out back

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 04:13 PM

So, damn that's gonna get ripe!

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

So, damn that's gonna get ripe!

All we got to work with
Posted By: Out back

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 05:00 PM

30 gallon water tank, about $15
12 volt pump, $40 at tractor supply.
Posted By: sdw

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 05:04 PM

A cut off plastic 55 gallon drum makes for a good gut bucket to keep the concrete fairly clean. I'd consider adding some tin on 3 sides of the shed to keep the wind off you on a cold day.
Posted By: rst87

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by CAL
I have one almost identical to this at our place. One thing I’m going to add is a short piece of towing strap anchored to the concrete directly below the skinner. Use a pair of vise grips to attach hide to strap while lifting carcass leaving the hide on the ground. You’ll have to readjust it a few times during the process.

Didn’t see it personally but someone told me they did something similar and says it works great
They took a disk blade with a chain through the center and put it in the concrete when poured. Had a S hook on the other end that you could hook in the hide
Posted By: CNC

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 06:05 PM

A rain catch off the back of the tin run down into a 275 gallon tote hooked to a small pump for water...….It'd also be pretty simple to go ahead and build a really solid permanent table on the back between your posts.

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by CNC
A rain catch off the back of the tin run down into a 275 gallon tote hooked to a small pump for water...….It'd also be pretty simple to go ahead and build a really solid permanent table on the back between your posts.

Yes, I like the table idea
Posted By: top cat

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 06:14 PM

Kinda like ours. We have two boat trailor style winches.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 06:23 PM

A cheap electric winch will save your life
Posted By: garyo

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 07:05 PM

there any creeks near, all it takes is one gut nick, and a lost deer, gear clean up, and more ,you need water some way.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by CAL

And a $150 winch from HF will make it even easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-capacity-120-volt-ac-electric-winch-96127.html
Posted By: Booger

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/10/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by M48scout
I would build that as tall as possible. By the time you add a gambrel, scale, Hook etc the head won’t be as high as you hope. It sure is nice to be able to raise all parts of a hanging deer to your own comfortable working height while standing.

You must of heard about all those monster spikes(I mean cull bucks) I'm gonna kill.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 01:38 AM

Depending on how many people are hunting on the property, I would make it big enough to clean at least 2 deer. Also, if you have any manufacturers of pole barn trusses see if they can just build you a 10’ set of trusses or buy a 12’ set of lean to trusses. If you don’t have water I would consider a gutter system run to an elevated 55 gallon drum with gravity feed.

I would close in 3 sides and leave the south side open. Help keep the north wind off
Posted By: AC870

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 01:42 AM

2nd being able to hang at least 2 and closing in 3 sides.
We have one decent hanging setup in my dad’s tractor shed and one make-do hanging setup. We’ve had to use the crappy setup too often.
A skinning shed is a great part of deer hunting. Spent a lot of quality time with my dad and my bro in ours over the years.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 04:46 AM

If you have a creek close by look up a water ram pump. It’s amazing at the water they can pump. If you have access to a good spring close by you could easily run a camper or the skinning shed off of one.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CNC

Paint it white to keep light out to cut down on algae growth in warm weather.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 11:59 AM

If pouring concrete is not possible, use the 18x18 blocks used under ac units
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/11/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Haybale
If you have a creek close by look up a water ram pump. It’s amazing at the water they can pump. If you have access to a good spring close by you could easily run a camper or the skinning shed off of one.

Where can I aquire a good ram pump?
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Skinning Shed - 08/13/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by 300gr
Originally Posted by Haybale

Where can I aquire a good ram pump?

Build one. Cost about $100. Check online for plans
© 2024 ALDEER.COM