Aldeer.com

Staggering food plot planting

Posted By: Remington270

Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 05:35 PM

Do any of y'all plant food plots a few weeks apart to have a better chance of avoiding failure due to lack of rain?
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 07:33 PM

We try to get them all in right before a rain. It’s so hard to get more than two guys to come up to plant any given weekend. We just take what we get and roll the dice. That said, if it is exceptionally dry we will delay planting a few weeks.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 07:39 PM

Fall or summer plots? Thought about planting a single field earlier this summer because it was the only one dry enough that weekend, but got to thinking it would get browsed to death if we didn't have the other fields to help carry the load.
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mdees
We try to get them all in right before a rain. It’s so hard to get more than two guys to come up to plant any given weekend. We just take what we get and roll the dice. That said, if it is exceptionally dry we will delay planting a few weeks.

Same here.
Posted By: Turkeyjery1

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 08:50 PM

Thats a good idea, never really thought about planting them like that.
Most of the clubs Ive been in get everyone. together on a saturday.
Like .Mdees said its hard to get most of the club members there all
Together to plant food plots on multiple days.
But since you thoght about it ,I hunt alot of private property, I might try
Planting a couple of food plots a couple weeks apart, to see how it works
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/08/18 08:53 PM

We just try to start around the end of September and get them in the ground as soon as we can, but we have around 90 or so plots so we can't be real picky.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 02:37 AM

Has anyone ever planted food plots and had them die due to lack of rain.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by mike35549

I have made it not rain by planting a food plot.

Posted By: Mully

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 01:39 PM

Generally after all the preparations for planting I am ready to get them in the ground and all equipment cleaned up at once and be done with them.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 01:44 PM

2 or 3 years ago was about as bad as I've seen. We planted after a big rain and I bet it didn't rain for 7 weeks. Some stuff eventually sprouted, but it was pretty sad looking.
Posted By: jdfarm23

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Remington270

2 or 3 years ago was about as bad as I've seen. We planted after a big rain and I bet it didn't rain for 7 weeks. Some stuff eventually sprouted, but it was pretty sad looking.

I remember that year. We decided to wait and didn’t even get our fields in until early November. We saw more deer in fields that year than ever before and I think it was because our neighbors all planted early and had crappy fields
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Staggering food plot planting - 08/09/18 05:31 PM

I started planting foodplots as soon as the last frost was gone, ill plant my last two as soon as we get a little rain and I can get the ground ready. My plots are sortof revolving. I try to keep the deer and birds something to eat all the time. If I plant oats and greens in a week or two and it quits raining for 3months, theyll still have the corn and sunflowers.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM