Aldeer.com

Early season gear

Posted By: StoneMan

Early season gear - 07/12/18 02:41 AM

What’s your go to bow clothing for the early season- Christmas (sometimes), when it’s still hitting 80 degrees in the afternoons. Haven’t bought any new lightweight clothing since 3 years ago. Anybody have any insight or recommendations on clothing that breathes real well?
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 03:22 AM

Long sleeve cotton t shirt and BDU pants
Posted By: Ragu

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 12:31 PM

^^ Wanted to ask this myself? I sweat ALOT, and I am tired of the Browning Wasatch cargo's and button downs. Not very breathable and or moisture wicking.

Even though all are more than I would want to spend: I have looked into the KUIU Tiburon Pant, Sitka ESW Pant(New Product), Sitka Ascent Pant, and First Lite Obsidian pant.

All of these seemed to be designed for hot weather with breath ability as top priority. Anyone have experience with these products?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 12:57 PM

I wear predator adrenaline, it is a superior camo pattern in the woods and really light and breathable
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 01:00 PM

Season here opens Oct 1. That could still be summer-like weather. Odds are I won't go the first week or two, but we'll see.
Posted By: BC

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 02:12 PM

I wear my Bottomland turkey hunting light clothes during bow season and I have a couple of light jackets that I use in the event it gets cool. It has to be pretty dang cold before I dig out my heavy late season stuff.

Drake Ultra Light pants and shirt.
Browning Hells Canyon Light Jacket
Drake 1/4 zip pullover
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 03:11 PM

First Lite Minaret shirt and First Lite Kanab 2.0 pants in ASAT or sometimes my ASAT Vanish Pro over a t-shirt and jeans
Posted By: Fezzik

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ragu
^^ Wanted to ask this myself? I sweat ALOT, and I am tired of the Browning Wasatch cargo's and button downs. Not very breathable and or moisture wicking.

Even though all are more than I would want to spend: I have looked into the KUIU Tiburon Pant, Sitka ESW Pant(New Product), Sitka Ascent Pant, and First Lite Obsidian pant.

All of these seemed to be designed for hot weather with breath ability as top priority. Anyone have experience with these products?

Kuiu Tiburon's- thin and breathable
Sitka Ascent-(pre 2017 versions are thicker than the new versions). I would not recommend the older version of the ascent, they do not breathe well. New ones breath well and are thin
Sitka ESW- have not tried the new product but I have the equinox pants and they are too thick for hot weather, 70 or below for those

I do recommend the Sitka core lightweight hoody, extremely thin and breathable. newest version has the built in facemask as well
Posted By: quailman

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by walt4dun
Long sleeve cotton t shirt and BDU pants

Yep! And throw in a thermacell.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 11:27 PM

Thanks to having heat exhaustion multiple times and a heat stroke, I get hot extremely easy. I haven’t found anything that really keeps me cool getting to and from the stand, but the Red Head Stalker clothing helps.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 11:34 PM

I got some super light weight under armor pants this year (don't tell anyone, I think we are supposed to boycott them), and some cheap-o walmart shirts that were moisture wicking material. I wouldn't say I was COOL but it definitely helped with the sweating. Only problem was, any deer that walked by, I passed because I didn't want to deal with spoiled meat rofl
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Early season gear - 07/12/18 11:42 PM

I wear a short sleeve t shirt to the stand and change into a long sleeve t shirt once in the stand and cooled down a little. Snake boots and thermacell are a must
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 01:28 AM

Camo jeans, non insulated leather boots. I wear a regular shirt out and swap to a button up camo shirt with the slots in the back like a fishing shirt. Put the sweaty shirt in a Ziploc while I'm stand. This year I made a deal with my wife that instead on getting one hunt a weekend. I'll get 2-3 days to do nothing but hunt in a row. But only go once a month. So for bow season I'm gonna hold out for cold fronts. I'm not gonna waste my time if it 80 deg. Unless it's my last weekend that moth then I will hunt close to the water that will be a short walk.
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 01:52 AM

I use first lite and Sitka.
Both are great and are game changers for warm weather.
First lite -Obsidian pant and any of their lightweight merino shirts with the long boot socks they have
Sitka I use the ascent pants and shirt in the subalpine pattern

Can’t go wrong with either.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ragu

Save some money on the Kuiu and get the Teton Pant. It's lightweight, dries fast, and won't "pill" as much. It's 2 way stretch and not 4 way stretch which means it snags a 'lil less. I've used them for 3 years and love them. Every time I hike and bike I wear them.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 03:25 AM

I wear lightweight 6 pocket turkey pants and a cheap Walmart nylon shirt. I been buying a new nylon shirt each fall for last 3-4 years and got a lil collection is now.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 03:33 AM

If it's still 80, I wear a cheap camo long sleeve t-shirt and some camo pants and a thermocell. Nothing fancy required.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 03:45 AM

I agree bowtech, my shirt I do not care because I can find a cheap nylon that breathes well, but it seems as if I can’t find a descent pair of pants that air well and don’t rip on the first briar patch that u accidentally walk against occasionally.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 12:51 PM

Last bow season I walked to the stand in gym shorts, a flora bama yacht club wifebeater tshirt, and flip flops and killed a doe around 10 am. By that late in the morning it was already well over 80 degrees, actually sniffing 90. We all had a good laugh.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 03:28 PM

I wear a leafy suit in shorts and a wicking t-shirt. Thermacell is a must
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 04:05 PM

I always walk in with Gym shorts, short sleeve shirt and my rubber boots and change at the base of my tree after a quick towel off and scent wipe bath.
Im a big believer in Scentlok gear. I use the Nexus active " base layer " top and bottom as my outer layer with just a Nike combat top and bottom underneath. The Nike combat is moisture wicking.
Thermacell!
Posted By: CNC

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 05:15 PM

Drive as close to my stand as possible to cut down on sweating……wear some kind of camo or neutral colored t-shirt and possibly some khaki shorts….If you have your stand in a tree with some cover, with the right wind….. then all you really have to do is be still. You don’t have to have any special camo. Deer’s eyes are designed to see movement first and foremost….Just don't sit in a tree that leaves you sticking out in the open like a sore thumb. Find one you can hide in. I like two or more trees side by side so I can climb one and use the other for limb cover.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 06:14 PM

I used to hunt reguardless of temps. This will be my 42nd year chaseing them with a stick and string. Now adays, if it's hot I don't go. When I do it's, dress light and sent lock suit.
Posted By: mr.clif

Re: Early season gear - 07/13/18 06:55 PM

Sitka ascent series is the coolest clothing I've worn but it comes with a premium price tag in saying that tho customer service and warranty is very good and I buy gear that lasts and dont replace it much.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Early season gear - 07/14/18 04:51 PM

I carry an extra t-shirt and change once up the tree. Nothing matters as much as having a functioning THERMACELL! When it's too hot to climb, I fish the Alabama River. The water has cooled and the fish are biting.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Early season gear - 07/14/18 06:19 PM

I wear my turkey hunting clothes, usually Elimitick or Ol'Tom long sleeve tee.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Early season gear - 07/14/18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SouthernRoots
I always walk in with Gym shorts, short sleeve shirt and my rubber boots and change at the base of my tree after a quick towel off and scent wipe bath.

This is what I do, a lot of times I’ll actually change in the tree. I would never dry out if I didn’t bring a change of clothes. I love the scent wipes.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Early season gear - 07/17/18 07:49 PM

Long sleeve t shirt an maybe a jacket if necessary in the mornin an t shirt an thin britches for evenin and mornin. Make sure i bring ma thermacell for both especially the afternoon. I could care less if they see my bare arms....they usually done got an arra in them by the time they figure somehins up.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Early season gear - 07/18/18 06:32 AM

From what I tried the clothing that keeps you cool also allows mosquitoes to bite you through the material. Anyone have a set up that is both cool and protects from these pesky SOBs. Thermacell helps but they still come around.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Early season gear - 07/18/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by gcr0003
Thermacell helps but they still come around.

That's some sho nuff skeeters.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM