Aldeer.com

Red clover or Arrow leaf clover?

Posted By: mike35549

Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/06/18 08:55 PM

I Am going to add some clover to my fall mix to try and extend the usefulness of the plot into the spring early summer. For you guys that have used these clover which one do you prefer. Which one last longest into the summer produces the most forage and the deer eat the best. How many pounds do you mix in with your other seed per acre. On that note how many pounds of wheat oats rye or whatever grain you use do you plant of that per acre when you mix the clover.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/06/18 10:23 PM

I didn't see a lot of deer usage in crimson clover I had, but the Yuchi Arrowleaf was fed on a good bit.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/06/18 10:30 PM

My deer stay in my crimson clover. My uncle has arrowleaf and the deer stay in it. Cant go wrong with either.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/06/18 11:36 PM

I am not talking about Crimson clover but red clover two diffrent clovers. I have never had any luck with deer eating Crimson clover.
Posted By: deerhunt1988

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/07/18 09:40 AM

Really like arrowleaf, excellent reseeder. Still have some coming up in plots where it hasn't been planted in several years. Have no experience with red clover.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/07/18 02:24 PM

Never planted red but I really like the arrow leaf. Deer do too. It’s still growing like crazy right now. 3 feet tall in some places.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/07/18 05:32 PM

Last fall I did Apache Arrowleaf, a Red clover and tried Berseem clover for the first time. They were doing great and browsed last time I was up.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/07/18 06:00 PM

I like 3-4 types of clovers. Some that start off fast for the fall and then others that take you into late spring and summer. I like 1-2 annuals and 1 or 2 perennials in the mix. My favorite mix for clover has been Arrow leaf, Mihi Persian, and Durana.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/09/18 01:40 PM

I have always used a clover mix

one of the white clovers arrow leaf, and crimson
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/09/18 02:05 PM

Red clover is extensively used for cow pastures. I've seen it hold up OK in the summer. Not sure how much deer like it.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/09/18 04:56 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that red clover generally likes soil with a pH above 6, which knocks out a ton of soils in Alabama, unless properly amended. Otherwise, red clover is an excellent clover for deer, and persists well into the summer, unlike crimson. So, if you have good soil, go for it.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/11/18 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ALFisher
One thing to keep in mind is that red clover generally likes soil with a pH above 6, which knocks out a ton of soils in Alabama, unless properly amended. Otherwise, red clover is an excellent clover for deer, and persists well into the summer, unlike crimson. So, if you have good soil, go for it.

I have fairly acidic soil and I haven't had any problem getting the red clover to grow, even in my first year plantings. one thing I like about the red clover is it's aromatic, which means it puts off a sweet smell which could attract a deer from further away IMO
Posted By: kntree

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/30/18 12:19 AM

Both, arrowleaf will carry into the summer, and red will carry even further. Plant a combo of crimson, arrowleaf, red, and white (perennial). You will be happy with the results. As far as deer palatability, not sure-there is plenty for deer to eat in the summer.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/30/18 12:58 AM

I think I am going to plant both. 50lb wheat 50lbs oats 50lbs of rye and 5lbs each of arrowleaf and red clover per acre. Probably a little heavy on the seed but usually just plant feed grade seed so I usually go a little heavy.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/31/18 01:59 PM

You plant that much grain and it is very likely it will choke out your clover. I have started backing down to 80-100 lbs/ac max to give the clover more room to grow in the spring.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/31/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BradB
You plant that much grain and it is very likely it will choke out your clover. I have started backing down to 80-100 lbs/ac max to give the clover more room to grow in the spring.

Yep, I’ve learned my lesson on that too. Although, if you’re planting really small plots of ½ acre or in that neighborhood…..I think you may be better to go ahead with a heavy cereal grain rate due to the intense grazing pressure that such a small area will receive. On the flip side though…..if you’ve got a 10 acre field to plant, you could probably back off to 50 lbs/ac and it work out great. It’s all relative to the individual situation.

Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 07/31/18 02:46 PM

Nighthunter recently recommended Yuchi clover to me so that’s what we’re gonna add to our plots this fall.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 08/01/18 12:57 AM

This will be on plots that are 1/2 - 1 acre in size. With an average to above average deer density.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 08/01/18 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
Nighthunter recently recommended Yuchi clover to me so that’s what we’re gonna add to our plots this fall.

That is a type of arrowleaf clover.

Re: Red clover or Arrow leaf clover? - 08/01/18 02:08 AM

If your gonna do Arrowleaf might want to try Apache. Similar to Yuchi but with more disease resistance
© 2024 ALDEER.COM