Aldeer.com

Colorado unit 18 elk hunt

Posted By: Abbhudson

Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 12:39 AM

Anybody ever hunt out there? I'll be headed there in October, trying to get some info on what I'm headed into.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 02:37 AM

Never hunted Colorado but, I googled unit 18 elk hunting and a lot of stuff on other forums popped up.

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 02:45 PM

I did the same. A lot of that was a bit disheartening so I was hoping for some more inspiring information.
Posted By: Cheaha

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 03:23 PM

I have hunted in 16 and 17 and did some hiking in 18 while on a vacation in Steamboat. Obviously, you need to be in shape or anywhere in Colorado is going to suck, but that area in particular was infested with pine beetles back in the '90s and early 2000's so expect a maze of fallen timber. Hiking in that stuff is hard on the knees. I would look for a one or two year old burned area in the most remote area you think you can get into and go from there. There are definitely elk to be found. The fire season is going to be bad this year, so any advance planning should include alternatives. If a fire starts in those deadfall areas it will all burn.

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 03:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the fires I'll start watching them a little more closely. Our basic plan is to find the steepest, darkest, corner and go for it.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/15/18 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Abbhudson
I did the same. A lot of that was a bit disheartening so I was hoping for some more inspiring information.

Did you have to draw for this tag or is it an otc tag?

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/16/18 03:10 AM

We had to draw for 1st rifle. If I remember right 2nd and 3rd rifle is otc.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/16/18 03:29 AM

I can't help you with that Unit, but good luck. I believe that active wildfires have started shutting places down already, so definitely look into that.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/16/18 03:42 AM

Big fire right now north of Durango, in the Weminuche Wilderness Area. No idea where that is in relation to unit 18.

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/16/18 12:59 PM

The biggest ones are Southwest of where we are headed. There's a smaller on close to our unit but hopefully it won't burn us out.
Posted By: Cheaha

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 06/18/18 03:00 PM

Since you are going on a draw week you may not see another human while out there. The OTC weeks get pretty crowded. Good luck!
Posted By: Granddaddydan

Re: Colorado unit 18 elk hunt - 07/20/18 06:18 PM

I've hunt 18 half a dozen times. Sent me a PM. I have Maps you can have.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM