Aldeer.com

Spear hunting

Posted By: Sgiles

Spear hunting - 06/12/18 10:53 PM

I've seen on another forum they're outlawing it for deer. Can anyone here confirm this. I know not many people do it but it seems like it would have been posted, unless I just missed it.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 02:15 AM

I doubt spear hunting gets enough attention to be outlawed. Both guys that do it in Alabama probably would still do it anyway.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 02:33 AM

The Conservation Advisory Board during its May meeting approved removing spears as a legal weapon for deer.

Spears were approved by the CAB in the mid-90s.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 03:09 AM

I don’t know who the other guy is, but you are right...”Will still do it”
I’ve yet to get a deer with a spear but I have used t-post, chicken wire, and a ball bat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 03:47 AM

An atl-atl is a dangerous thing
Posted By: Out back

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Clem

I was there. Everyone got a good laugh.
At that time, I didn't know anyone who claimed to hunt with a spear.
Later, I did meet one guy who told me a couple of his spear chunking stories.
I swear there was banjo music playing as he talked.

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 12:36 PM

Whatever method floats someone’s boat and gets them outside is a good thing.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 12:54 PM

The Conservation Advisory Board during its May meeting approved removing spears as a legal weapon for deer.

The two guys who used spears for deer hunting starved to death long ago so there was no need for this law anymore.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 12:59 PM

I'll be glad when they open up rock season... I'll go to chunkin rocks at em then... grin

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Out back

I was there. Everyone got a good laugh.
At that time, I didn't know anyone who claimed to hunt with a spear.
Later, I did meet one guy who told me a couple of his spear chunking stories.
I swear there was banjo music playing as he talked.

I was there, too.

Jane Brock was on the Board at the time - the first woman to be appointed until the current (or whatever her status is now) female member - and asked the guy wanting spears approved if they (paraphrasing) would work to kill a deer.

First, that's silly since spears have been used by eons and still are used in South America and Africa. I get that folks there grow up with them but it's not like spears are something that only came along in the last 20-30 years.

Second, the guy asking for them to be approved replied to Mrs. Brock: "I could kill you from here."

He was at the microphone about 15-20 feet in front of the Board, seated at the table, and only meant it in regard to how he was proficient enough to use them effectively. There was a moment of silence and then everyone laughed. Point taken, no pun intended, about how they worked.

Biologically there's no reason to prohibit use of spears. Just because "no one does it!" isn't a reason, either. IMO the Board has prohibited a possible hunting method just because they or someone didn't like it.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 02:38 PM

How can you prohibit one of the most basic ways of hunting? It's almost like outlawing bow hunting, except even more basic.

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 02:48 PM

Because someone doesn't like it.

Because "No one needs to be doing that."

Because "Who wants to use a spear?"

Same reason I heard years ago when I asked why WMAs were closed to hunters in summer for hogs. This was 15-20 years ago, and the response of the DCNR official was "Who wants to hunt hogs in the summer anyway?"
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 03:22 PM

I thought the DCNR had already reached its full potential low till now. Absolutely stupid of them.

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 03:35 PM

I didn't say it should be illegal.
I just remembered the laughter at that meeting.
And later, talking to the guy who hunts with one. It was entertaining.
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 03:41 PM

I remember seeing spear hunting on the regs last year and thought - "who's hunting with a spear ". Still no reason to outlaw em- if I can pop a deer with a 308 or a 125gr broadhead then a spear should be just as good. Hats off to the fella that can get one with a spear.
Posted By: WTPop

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 04:36 PM

I bought a spear in early 200's and hunted with it a few times. I practiced a good bit with it and it would destroy a target. I would love to have seen what it would have done to a deer but I never had the opportunity to throw it.
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by WTPop
I bought a spear in early 200's and hunted with it a few times. I practiced a good bit with it and it would destroy a target. I would love to have seen what it would have done to a deer but I never had the opportunity to throw it.

What’s the effective range on a spear; probably based the strength of the person?
Posted By: jono23

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 04:49 PM

Man, I would love to spear one. I had multiple times this last season where I thought, "If I had a spear right now, this joker'd be dead!"

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:13 PM

Who needs more than one kind of old weapon for deer hunting?
Posted By: jono23

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:19 PM

That's true. I have my bow. I only took one arrow every time though, cuz who needs more than one arrow?

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by GCART81

What’s the effective range on a spear; probably based the strength of the person?

I never release (throw) mine, I either pounce on them from above or the side and plant it firmly in them. I have tried for deer but they always “jump the string” (me).
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:36 PM

Y'all can throw sticks at deer If ya want, I'll keep using hot lead. gun

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:36 PM

Ask doekiller what happens when you get within arms reach of a pissed off wild boar.
He won our last hog slapping contest in union Springs. smile

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jono23
That's true. I have my bow. I only took one arrow every time though, cuz who needs more than one arrow?

NO ONE NEEDS MORE THAN ONE.
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jono23

NO ONE NEEDS MORE THAN ONE.

Except this guy....

Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 06:11 PM

I always wanted to be a spear chunker.
Just never got around to it.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 06:20 PM

Ask doekiller what happens when you get within arms reach of a pissed off wild boar.

I was tracking a deer for a guy last year that he had shot with a bow. The only issue was that he had also shot a big arse hog as well in the same spot about 15 minutes after he shot the deer and he couldn’t find either one. It was just outside of Union Springs in Three Notch and we were in a sea of sage brush and scarcely scattered pines.

Well…..sho nuff when we start trying to track we got on the hog blood trail instead of the deer trail and a few hundred yards later Otis got a 250 pound pissed off boar up out of the bed. The hog broke bay pretty quickly and came running straight at me just not knowing that I was there. Like I said, we were out in a sea of sage brush so there wasn’t anything around but some volunteer pine saplings. My instincts told me to shimmy up a tree….. so without even thinking I jumped up and started trying to climb one of the saplings. Thank God that my panicked movements scared the hog and turned him because I never made it more than about 3-4 ft off the ground. I was bear hugging the chit out of that pine sapling though. rofl

As far as the CAB outlawing spear hunting……I’m glad to see that they’re using their time to deal with the real issues around the state…… rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 06:22 PM

Well what am I supposed to kill the bears that they're stocking the state with?
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 08:38 PM

I bought a spear in early 200's .

Is that why your avatar is a skeleton? grin
Posted By: Dixiepatriot

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 09:05 PM

skinny hunts with a spear naked. Bout as old school as you can get.

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 09:10 PM

The Naked body cast an appropriate form of ultraviolet reflection that deer pay less attention to. I put this to the test too.

Re: Spear hunting - 06/13/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dixiepatriot
skinny hunts with a spear naked. Bout as old school as you can get.

Thanks for that mental picture.
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Spear hunting - 06/14/18 01:16 PM

>>>>As far as the CAB outlawing spear hunting……I’m glad to see that they’re using their time to deal with the real issues around the state…… rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes <<<<

Indeed. These folks don't mind tackling the serious issues at all.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Spear hunting - 06/14/18 04:30 PM

so how many deer were killed in Al with spears in the last 15 years???
Posted By: OlTimer

Re: Spear hunting - 06/14/18 08:42 PM

I'm sure Gamecheck has those statistics. Sarcasm. I do know of an accomplished hunter in Baldwin County that killed 1 the first year they were legal and 2 the following year.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Spear hunting - 06/14/18 09:44 PM

Poster child as to why you don't take a single shot rifle hog hunting. And why you need to wear running shoes instead of boots if you do.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM