Aldeer.com

Careful - Jake is out in force

Posted By: GCART81

Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 03:47 PM

Did a scout up at Choccolocco last week and ran into two of the good guys within an hour. I'm sure their evil cousins are out there as well.

You boys seeing allot of snakes where you at?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 03:51 PM

Two? of the good guys. I think one good guy.

Looks like a rattlesnake in the first picture.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 04:03 PM

Son and I went to the country yesterday afternoon moving a load of firewood and getting game cam and another task or two. I was surprised we didn't see a legless lizard. We even went to a spot where you can usually see a gator in warm weather and were skunked on that. Not complaining about going snakeless though.
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by BOFF

God Bless,
David B.

Agreed
One em' Yankee rattlesnakes

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk

God Bless,
David B.

Agreed

Had a rattle snake with the same markings in a pile of leaves rattle at me - blew his head off with a 12 ga. and then discovered that it was a rat snake; felt bad. Discovered they will shake their tales like a rattler to scare you off but unfortunately for him he did it in a pile of leaves.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 04:46 PM

Yep, top pic is a timber/canebrake rattler.
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 05:09 PM

There’s a fair number of those not-good snakes out in Choccolocco. Better watch your step when it gets warm out there. Had one almost whack my leg about 5 years ago turkey hunting there. Definitely sold me on wearing snake boots when the temps get warm and I’m out in the woods.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 05:51 PM

Should have killed that top one, or caught it and took it to church sunday.
Posted By: Alagator

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77

They shall take up serpents..... Maybe them Baptist wimmens can promise they will follow that submissive thing if all the men agree to handle snakes. Some of those scriptures make it a challenge to be a true believer. grin

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Alagator
Originally Posted by jwalker77

They shall take up serpents..... Maybe them Baptist wimmens can promise they will follow that submissive thing if all the men agree to handle snakes. Some of those scriptures make it a challenge to be a true believer. grin

lol Nope, I recon I'm going to keep lacking faith then.
Posted By: pcoladoc

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 09:02 PM

Top one definitely a Timber rattler
Posted By: jb20

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 09:55 PM

Lol I can't believe u didn't kill that...
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 10:12 PM

God Bless,
David B.

First pic is definitely a rattlesnake.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/08/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by alhawk

God Bless,
David B.

Agreed
Posted By: Out back

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 12:02 AM

No reason to kill either of them.
But, who's Jake?
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 12:08 AM

jake the snake
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 12:15 AM

Jake from state farm?
Posted By: quailman

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 12:22 AM

Last weekend. 13 and a button. He got Judged! 3" #6's.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 02:15 AM

Walked up on one sunday. He didn't bother me so I didn't bother him.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by quailman

[Linked Image]

Thank you for your service
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by GCART81
ran into two of the good guys within an hour. I'm sure their evil cousins are out there as well.

[Linked Image]

I just got done bashing the guy in the coral snake thread but I guess this is how it happens, atleast you weren’t dumb enough to touch it.

GCART are you new to Hunting and the outdoors?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jlbuc10
ran into two of the good guys within an hour. I'm sure their evil cousins are out there as well.

[Linked Image]

I just got done bashing the guy in the coral snake thread but I guess this is how it happens, atleast you weren’t dumb enough to touch it.

GCART are you new to Hunting and the outdoors?

LOL - Nope to latter, but I aint touching no snake - poisonous or not. Would have shot-em if I had recognized him properly; I keep a special CCI round for such encounters.
Posted By: sbo1971

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 05:33 PM

My son was in a boat yesterday at Bibb Co lake and caught what he said was a Moccasin.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 05:50 PM

I asked my wife this morning how old she was when she learned the "red touching yellow kill a fellow" saying. She said maybe 6 years old. Same for me.

I spent summers from age 8 er so on the Cahaba River, unsupervised by adults, learned early to ID snakes. I caught a couple of cottonmouths when young , inc a 42+ inch one...damn near got bit. Got bit by a cottonmouth when I was 16, dry bite with little swelling. Saw a buddy bit by a copperhead when I was 16, he lost a LOT of meat on his right thumb, nasty, nasty, nasty. I quit catching them right then. got hit by a 5 foot Timber Rattler in 1985 in west Greene Co, another dry bite with some swelling. I had a growing cyst removed from the bite spot 9 years later.

I figure three times is a charm...I'm not getting bit again if I can help it. My policy now is to kill any dangerous snake as quickly and safely as possible....gun, truck, tank, flamethrower, whatever is handy. If in doubt I ask Ben for advise on what to do. grin
Posted By: Drake322

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 06:29 PM

The first timber rattler I ever saw was when I was cruising a tract up at Abel Mall. 40 ac surrounded by national forest land. I was close to a creek when I stopped to take a point. Jabbed my stick in the ground, looked down, and my foot was about 2" from that SOBMFer. If you were within 10 miles you should have heard me hollering and screaming when I jumped. After I I took my underwear off, I picked up a rock about the size of my fist and hit it. It just rolled around for a min and coiled back up. I hit it again, same result. Third time I was mad/scared whatever you want to call it and drew back hit it with all I had. The snake just rolled again but this time it went off toward some canes on the creek. This was the FIRST time it rattled during the whole altercation. This was middle August and I have always heard "dog days" make them mean. Not this one. Yes I was wearing chaps.

For the rest of the time until I finished the tract, every time I would step on a stick no bigger than 3/8" in diameter I jumped.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/09/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Drake322
The first timber rattler I ever saw was when I was cruising a tract up at Abel Mall. 40 ac surrounded by national forest land. I was close to a creek when I stopped to take a point. Jabbed my stick in the ground, looked down, and my foot was about 2" from that SOBMFer. If you were within 10 miles you should have heard me hollering and screaming when I jumped. After I I took my underwear off, I picked up a rock about the size of my fist and hit it. It just rolled around for a min and coiled back up. I hit it again, same result. Third time I was mad/scared whatever you want to call it and drew back hit it with all I had. The snake just rolled again but this time it went off toward some canes on the creek. This was the FIRST time it rattled during the whole altercation. This was middle August and I have always heard "dog days" make them mean. Not this one. Yes I was wearing chaps.

For the rest of the time until I finished the tract, every time I would step on a stick no bigger than 3/8" in diameter I jumped.

Not sure why you needed to remove your underwear before assaulting an innocent snake.
Rattlesnakes aren't mean or aggressive. You probably scared the hell out of him with the underwear episode.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Out back

Not sure why you needed to remove your underwear before assaulting an innocent snake.
Rattlesnakes aren't mean or aggressive. You probably scared the hell out of him with the underwear episode.

Too funny, but I've been there. When my daughters were young they came and got me because they found a rattlesnake in back yard. When I saw him he was already coiled up and pissed-off; sucker actually came at me for a few feet before I punched his ticket. Usually, they will move on or let you pass by, but just like copperheads--if you get one mad, he will come at ya.
Posted By: trailertrash

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 01:30 AM

Another good guy from this afternoon behind the house....

[Linked Image]

If your ever looking to get a Mossberg 702 Plinkster...do yourself a favor and buy the Rossi branded version of the same gun. .Better stock, better sights and sling swivels. Same cost.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 09:53 AM

Nice 22 - Looks like ya gave him something to think about.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 02:04 PM

I had a timber rattler come at me last year when I was on the tractor. I saw it crossing a fire lane and when I got within 15-20 feet it stopped. I stopped the tractor to see if I had anything to kill it with, assuming it was about to go into my young pines. I ended up having nothing but a claw hammer so I started to drive forward hoping I could run it over before it got in the pines. When I got within 6 or 7 feet it turned around and came at the tractor, struck the front tire then kept going under the tractor. I backed up and ended up getting a front tire on it eventually. I know it struck the front tire twice and I had 2 separate places with venom (or slobber or something) dripping down.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by hosscat
I had a timber rattler come at me last year when I was on the tractor. I saw it crossing a fire lane and when I got within 15-20 feet it stopped. I stopped the tractor to see if I had anything to kill it with, assuming it was about to go into my young pines. I ended up having nothing but a claw hammer so I started to drive forward hoping I could run it over before it got in the pines. When I got within 6 or 7 feet it turned around and came at the tractor, struck the front tire then kept going under the tractor. I backed up and ended up getting a front tire on it eventually. I know it struck the front tire twice and I had 2 separate places with venom (or slobber or something) dripping down.

Did you suck the poison out?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

Out of a tire - OMG rofl

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 03:15 PM

Invested in a set of Gaiters this year. In reading some of these post - sounds more and more like a smart move.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

Out of a tire - OMG rofl

...whatever it takes, man.
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 04:00 PM

[Linked Image]

I've ALWAYS wanted to come across one of these. I want one mounted. They look so cool.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/10/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwatchman

[Linked Image]

I've ALWAYS wanted to come across one of these. I want one mounted. They look so cool.

Dang!!! That's a big one. Probably would have had a underwear problem like OutBack. I ate a few in my day, but never wanted to mount one - but admit they do look cool all coiled up mounted.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/11/18 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
I asked my wife this morning how old she was when she learned the "red touching yellow kill a fellow" saying. She said maybe 6 years old. Same for me.

I spent summers from age 8 er so on the Cahaba River, unsupervised by adults, learned early to ID snakes. I caught a couple of cottonmouths when young , inc a 42+ inch one...damn near got bit. Got bit by a cottonmouth when I was 16, dry bite with little swelling. Saw a buddy bit by a copperhead when I was 16, he lost a LOT of meat on his right thumb, nasty, nasty, nasty. I quit catching them right then. got hit by a 5 foot Timber Rattler in 1985 in west Greene Co, another dry bite with some swelling. I had a growing cyst removed from the bite spot 9 years later.

I figure three times is a charm...I'm not getting bit again if I can help it. My policy now is to kill any dangerous snake as quickly and safely as possible....gun, truck, tank, flamethrower, whatever is handy. If in doubt I ask Ben for advise on what to do. grin
ignore everything above except the laat sentence!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/11/18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ben2

ignore everything above except the laat sentence!

Yep!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/11/18 12:48 PM

Figure of speech referring to soiled undergarments!
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/11/18 01:10 PM

I killed my second timber rattler of the year last night as it was heading up my neighbors driveway. BE careful

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/11/18 10:41 PM

The current start page for the Outdoor Alabamawebsite starts with "Snake Identification...".

slap

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/12/18 04:33 AM

The current start page for the Outdoor Alabamawebsite starts with "Snake Identification...".

slap

That’s cause they monitor this site and saw your post

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/13/18 03:08 AM

slap

Doubtful, Its likely because of the poor man that tried to take the coral snake to his brother or the poor soul that died trying to move a rattlesnake off the road.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/14/18 01:15 PM

I ran into a hog nosed snake in TN a week ago. First experience for me interacting with that species... he coiled up, flared out his head, and put it up like some kind of cobra... honestly didn't know what we were dealing with for a min but let him slither off. The only other snake I encountered this season was a black racer.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/14/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by NEbamahunter
I ran into a hog nosed snake in TN a week ago. First experience for me interacting with that species... he coiled up, flared out his head, and put it up like some kind of cobra... honestly didn't know what we were dealing with for a min but let him slither off. The only other snake I encountered this season was a black racer.

Those are some of my favorite snakes. Neat little critters.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mcninja

Those are some of my favorite snakes. Neat little critters.

Years ago I ran into one while camping with my family and had the same reaction. First he tried to act like a rattler - but didn't have the hardware to pull it off. Then he tried to go eye-of-the-cobra on me by flattening his head, and when all of that failed he rolled over on his back and played dead. I was impressed. Finally, a fireman from the next site over came over and identified him. Afterwards, we all got bored and he went off to entertain the next group.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 02:13 PM

Saw 6 riding the roads Saturday morning. There was one timber rattler. The others were King snakes and Gray Rat snakes.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey
Saw 6 riding the roads Saturday morning. There was one timber rattler. The others were King snakes and Gray Rat snakes.

Dang Turkey - what area were you riding in?
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 03:22 PM

I never ran across a single snake while turkey hunting in AL/TN this year. Just another indicator of how it was essentially winter right up until the end of the season.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
I never ran across a single snake while turkey hunting in AL/TN this year. Just another indicator of how it was essentially winter right up until the end of the season.

I messed with that racer when I crossed it on a 40 deg morning in late March. I stooped over to pick him up and he struck at me (my fault for not pinning him but figured he'd be super docile)... dang thing was way too quick for that temp and took me by surprise!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 04:38 PM

All you guys killing the rattlesnakes keep in mind that the guys that make longbows themselves would love to have the skin or even a frozen carcass. They make beautiful backings on the bow limbs.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jawbone
All you guys killing the rattlesnakes keep in mind that the guys that make longbows themselves would love to have the skin or even a frozen carcass. They make beautiful backings on the bow limbs.

How much??$$

I could make a lot of extra at the right price! I don’t kill them anymore, but I haven’t forgot how.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 08:56 PM

If anyone does need a diamondback skin just PM me. The next one I see, I'll put in the freezer.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/15/18 09:13 PM

I messed with that racer when I crossed it on a 40 deg morning in late March. I stooped over to pick him up and he struck at me (my fault for not pinning him but figured he'd be super docile)... dang thing was way too quick for that temp and took me by surprise!
Racers have TERRIBLE attitudes. I got bit by one year before last while turkey hunting. I was trying to get crawled up in a hedgerow on the edge of a field to try and call up a turkey out in that field. He bit me on the hand while I was crawling. I discovered he was hung up in some kind of netting material that had grass growing up through it. Though the arsehole bit me, I was able to get my pocket knife out, cut him free, and release him.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Racers have TERRIBLE attitudes. I got bit by one year before last while turkey hunting. I was trying to get crawled up in a hedgerow on the edge of a field to try and call up a turkey out in that field. He bit me on the hand while I was crawling. I discovered he was hung up in some kind of netting material that had grass growing up through it. Though the arsehole bit me, I was able to get my pocket knife out, cut him free, and release him.

This is why I hate snakes. They are all always pissed off and unpredictable. Chicken, rat and water snakes I hate with a passion they seem to try and bite all the time. I hate all snakes except the little green ones even though they are often pissed and think they are 12 ft long

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 10:14 AM

slap

Doubtful, Its likely because of the poor man that tried to take the coral snake to his brother or the poor soul that died trying to move a rattlesnake off the road.

They should place Bill Engvall's "here's your sign" reruns on the home page.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 10:27 AM

slap

They should place Bill Engvall's "here's your sign" reruns on the home page.

Yep, I love Bill Engvall's skits - saw him once with Jeff, Ron, and Larry in Atlanta. "If you had been wearing your sign I would have stopped you from picking up that triangular-headed rat snake that was rattling and hissing at ya!"

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 10:29 AM

Don't think I've ever seen a longbow that was rattle snake skinned - got any pics?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 12:43 PM

Don't think I've ever seen a longbow that was rattle snake skinned - got any pics?

I don't have pictures but Google does. I've seen some though and they are beautiful. I imagine you can get a bowyer that would make you one in exchange for some good skins. I traded Bamboo for mine.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/16/18 10:33 PM

I've skinned two osage self bows. One with a Texas Diamondback, and a second with an Alabama Timber Rattler. Also have Timber Rattler skins on my Bear Takedown limbs.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/17/18 02:12 AM

I've skinned two osage self bows. One with a Texas Diamondback, and a second with an Alabama Timber Rattler. Also have Timber Rattler skins on my Bear Takedown limbs.

I googled some images (Jawbone) of bows with rattlesnake skins - they look sharp; makes me want one.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/17/18 04:29 PM

This is why I hate snakes. They are all always pissed off and unpredictable. Chicken, rat and water snakes I hate with a passion they seem to try and bite all the time. I hate all snakes except the little green ones even though they are often pissed and think they are 12 ft long
The always pissed off ones don't hurt when/if they bite you pal. The one exception I have found is the cottonmouth. I HATE them with a passion (and will kill most all of them) because of their attitudes in tandem with the damage they can cause, but I have found the opposite demeanor to be true with rattlesnakes and copperheads. Have run across a bunch (exceptions exist of course) and still have never been around an aggressive rattler or copperhead. Have never seen a coral snake so I can't comment on how they typically behave.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/18/18 10:34 AM

We had a king snake around our previous house - he did a good job of taking care of the barn mice and keeping other snakes away. That said, he could be aggressive if not ignored and let be; would come at you rather than run off. My Jack Russell finally got fed up--or maybe they were both having a bad day, and put it down.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/18/18 11:59 AM

I killed a 5' 10" chicken snake in my chicken pen a couple of days ago. Egg eating bastard.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/18/18 03:03 PM

I googled some images (Jawbone) of bows with rattlesnake skins - they look sharp; makes me want one.

The one with the copperhead skin is really something if you could find two of them big enough to do both limbs.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/18/18 03:19 PM

don't put copperhead skins over black/dark limbs. They will look like cottonmouth skins. Put em over light colored limbs only. Trust me on this.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:32 AM

[Linked Image]upload a gif[Linked Image]upload picture

This one fell out of the van on the tow truck. We pulled him over and he proceeded to freak out!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:34 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:36 AM

That’s 2 rattlers and a moccasin in a week. Seen several more rat snakes and water snakes. I’ve never seen this many this quickly into the spring and summer

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by nomercy
That’s 2 rattlers and a moccasin in a week. Seen several more rat snakes and water snakes. I’ve never seen this many this quickly into the spring and summer

I seen two more killed on the road to my house. After this thread I've been hyper-vigilant in the woods and around the house. I took another all day trek in the woods over the weekend and amazingly I didn't see one. Sure was sweating though, but couldn't tell if it was the heat or the stress of running up on these critters. I was wearing gaiters and boots but would rather not test them out.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:59 AM

You can get $3.50 a foot for a rattlesnake down here, dead or alive.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 03:35 AM

No one is gonna believe me but i dont really care. So i will state the facts. About 3 years ago me and the wife saw a timber rattler in september. Layin on a country rd in a holler. This was in a private area with not much around. This snake had over 18 rattlers. I would lose count around 18 but think it had around 20 to be fair. Im 6ft 2 inches. This snake was longer than me without a doubt. I thought 7ft but just to be fair im gonna say 6ft 4 inches. Im in flip flops and shorts, have a baby in the car and a wife. It was gettin dark. I couldnt find anything to kill it with. I decided to run it over. So i back up over and over tryin to kill it in a little toyota corolla. The dang thing finally got off the road into a grown up ditch beside the mountain and my wife had enough. I gave up on it. I posted about it on here before just to have a few call me a liar. I was a carpenter for a long time. I know what length is. After aldeer called me a liar i checked on their info. Yes the world record timber rattlesnake is 62 or 64.5 inches. I bet evetything this snake was atleast a few inches if not 6 inches longer than the record. I think about that dang snake a whole lot. I even thought about goin back 3 years later to hunt for him! I think he survived my car whipping. It kills me that i had no idea what the record was and let it get away. This snake was huge. Long, he was fat but not fat like the world record. Just thick and long. His head was the size of my fist. I know he was over 6ft easy. Im at a loss. Im not mistaken. I had pictures in my phone but killed my phone. I had no idea the record was only over 6ft. Im devestated. I figured the record woulda been crazy like 8ft. I know next time if i ever see one 6ft or more, that joker and gettin away.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake
Yes the world record timber rattlesnake is 62 or 64.5 inches. I bet evetything this snake was atleast a few inches if not 6 inches longer than the record. I had no idea the record was only over 6ft.

5’ = 60”
6’ = 72”
7’ = 84”

I’ve seen plenty in the 5’ and extra range. Even got pic proof and no dead phone and everything. As many as I’ve seen, I’ve never measured a 72”. And....... you likely didn’t see anywhere close to an 84” timber.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 10:18 AM

I couldnt find anything to kill it with. I decided to run it over. So i back up over and over tryin to kill it in a little toyota corolla. The dang thing finally got off the road into a grown up ditch beside the mountain and my wife had enough. I gave up on it. .

I've seen a few hit with a cars/trucks and just move on - they may have died later, but they certainly were not dead after the auto ran them over. Had a buddy peel out on one - tore the snakes body up a bit, but it just crawled off (probably died or became easy pickings for some other critter). I think the rule is to put the Toyo tire center-mass on that head.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 02:12 PM

I killed one years ago that was measured at 74", I don't know what the record is.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/24/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I killed one years ago that was measured at 74", I don't know what the record is.

Hey Timbercruiser - got any pics of that one?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/25/18 01:32 AM

I know of 2 that was over 6ft. The one i saw alive and the one hanging in my grandpaws neighbors garage. Its over 6ft. I cant prove it. But i got no reason to lie. It would be in my best interest to shut up but i dont care. I know what i saw. There are about 50 people in new market al that has seen mr floyds snake. He was a logger. Killed it at work. Brought it by my grandpaws house on his way home from work. It stretched out across upper hurricane creek road from one edge to past the middle of the road. He gave it away to my pops neighbor who skinned it and nailed it to a 2x12 in his garage. Snake had a lump in it. Cut it open and had a full grown rabbit inside it. This has been about 20 years ago. They get bigger than 6ft. Not everyone cares about a world record. Especially country folks. But if i woulda known they rarely got over 6ft i woulda fought harder on keepin that one i saw. This was on hegia rd off hobbs island rd. Edge of city too

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/25/18 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser

Hey Timbercruiser - got any pics of that one?

No, that was around 1975. I was cruising timber NW of Marianna Florida and I came up on an old house place in the woods. My line was right at an old big scupernong vine trellis and instead of going around it I started crawling to the other side. I crawled right on top of the snake, stretched out. I managed to get up and killed it with a stick.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/26/18 03:13 AM

After all this and seeing and killing more snakes this year than the past 10 years (at least) combined I got some snake boots today! Never thought about getting some but now glad to have them as my now normal work boots. Needed some new work boots anyway

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/26/18 10:27 AM

After all this and seeing and killing more snakes this year than the past 10 years (at least) combined I got some snake boots today! Never thought about getting some but now glad to have them as my now normal work boots. Needed some new work boots anyway

What kind did ya get and how much were they (if you don't mind sharing)? I looked at a pair of LaCrosse Snake boots, but there pricy so I opted for some gaiters instead.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/26/18 12:57 PM

I think these warm winters are helping snakes reproduce more

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/26/18 02:36 PM

I got some at Academy. Magellan store brand. Nothin fancy but they feel good they are waterproof and regular price is $99. I got $10 off for Memorial Day military discount. I want some Chippewa but I’m not spending that much right now.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/26/18 07:44 PM

I got some at Academy. Magellan store brand. Nothin fancy but they feel good they are waterproof and regular price is $99. I got $10 off for Memorial Day military discount. I want some Chippewa but I’m not spending that much right now.

Academy price matches anything anywhere....plus gives 5 percent off. Guns or anything

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 02:20 AM

This was a very cold winter

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 08:54 AM

thats what I was thinking...

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 12:34 PM

Academy price matches anything anywhere....plus gives 5 percent off. Guns or anything

Nice, I may take a trip over to Gadsden to check some out. Didn't know about the military discount - thanks for that info. That Magellan snake defender looks like a good boot.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 12:39 PM

My daughter sent me this pic that someone posted on a snake some fellas killed up at Cartersville (of course everything on the net is true). If its legit - then wow!

He would have never even had to bite me for to hurt myself.

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 01:24 PM

Yes that's a real snake but they're pushing it out right into the camera. It's called forced perspective. Same as long arming a bass or crouching down 6 feet behind a deer or hog to make it look like it's the size of a dang rhinoceros.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 01:30 PM

That thing is still a hammer of a rattler. I tried the boots out yesterday and they feel pretty good. I got a size up. They seemed to run small. The upper around my calf is a little big but I have skinny legs so other than that they were comfy
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 02:32 PM

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.re...26/10216693231270970/?type=3&theater

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 02:49 PM

WTH - hats off to her, I'd have to turn in my man-card before I did that.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 04:19 PM

thats what I was thinking...

Last winter was normal i guess...but the few before that was hot
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by turkey247
Yes the world record timber rattlesnake is 62 or 64.5 inches. I bet evetything this snake was atleast a few inches if not 6 inches longer than the record. I had no idea the record was only over 6ft.

5’ = 60”
6’ = 72”
7’ = 84”

I’ve seen plenty in the 5’ and extra range. Even got pic proof and no dead phone and everything. As many as I’ve seen, I’ve never measured a 72”. And....... you likely didn’t see anywhere close to an 84” timber.

I killed one a few years ago was 62" with his head cut off, would have been prolly 5' 6" (66") head and all. Longest me and several others ever saw. He was skinny as a black racer. BTW, we have plenty timber rattlers up here, some real grown uns. I've yet to hear of one or see one that was confirmed 6 foot.

I killed that long one when we were cutting timber. The loggers were killing a monster every few days, they had them stirred up I guess . Good lawd there were some that would make a grown man have snake nightmares.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 07:21 PM

My daughter sent me this pic that someone posted on a snake some fellas killed up at Cartersville (of course everything on the net is true). If its legit - then wow!

[Linked Image]

Really? IF it’s legit? Wrong species for that area, so........
Posted By: mdf

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/27/18 08:24 PM

I think I would've ran back to truck and got the 308 and shot that thing from oh say about 200 yds.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/28/18 12:00 AM

Its funny how a lot of folks just refuse to believe anything. Me and 3 fellers was developing about 80 acres on rail road bed road in 2007. It was small timber surrounded by houses. Maybe 100 acres of woods that connected then our other 88 acres almost touching it that is now open and named Legendwood which runs of Capshaw rd in Madison. We been workin that 80 acres for a year. We done laid most utilites and cut all roads. We cleared about half of the lots. I was running a tri-axle up and down those dirt roads moving dirt to our stock pile in the back. About 10am im drivin back empty to the trackhoe. I grabbed another gear, looked up and saw something with its head down crosdin the road about 100ft in front of me. Maybe closer. I thought it was a huge german sheppard for a split second. It looked at me then looked back down and kept on trotting across and slipped into the woods. It was an anteater! It was huge. Long neck, long snout. Long tail. It was black with long hair. I told my co-workers. We all laughed. I worked there for another year almost daily and never saw it again.

We got to remembering there use to be a petting zoo at the old flea market on hwy 72. That property was real close to us. A man told me a rich guy lived across the road that had tigers and all kinds of animals years ago. Who knows where this thing came from but it was definitely an ant eater i saw. Seen many on tv! We said...that explains all the huge scat we were finding. We kept finding small trees with the lower limbs broken off hanging like something was trying to climb up them. It was weird.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/28/18 12:18 AM

I honestly don't doubt what someone might actually see, hell I wasn't there. An old couple I use to know told me they saw a dang kangaroo beside Hwy 20 near Freeport, Florida in the early 70's, I wasn't there so there must have been a kangaroo out there. There are two landowners near Ponce de Leon, Fl that have Bengal tigers, one has wolves also. Maybe they might get out.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/28/18 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by mdf
I think I would've ran back to truck and got the 308 and shot that thing from oh say about 200 yds.

Nope - 200 is too close!!! thumbup

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/28/18 10:42 PM

I saw a water mocisan this evening crossin the road in the g ville dam parkin lot. He was about 2.6ft long. Kinda skinny for a mocasin. He was in a hurry too. He made it out alive.

We saw a 3.6ft rat snake. Someone had just ran him over and killed him. About 100yds from the mocasin. I wish it was the other way around.
Posted By: FLFarmBoy

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/30/18 06:04 PM

Killed this one yesterday in one of our pastures, all of this rain down here has them moving.

[img]https://postimg.cc/image/54go3hmcd/[/img]
[img]https://postimg.cc/image/xu3k07y31/[/img
https://postimg.cc/image/xu3k07y31/

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/30/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by FLFarmBoy
Killed this one yesterday in one of our pastures, all of this rain down here has them moving.

Nice! - If you still got the skin it may be worth something for those hoping to skin their longbows.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/30/18 06:15 PM

I figured someone might want it so I put it in the freezer.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/31/18 04:49 AM

^^^^^^ Naw thats a big snake

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/31/18 09:22 AM

Saw this one on the HustWise app of a double-fanged canebrake rattler :

[Linked Image]

You boys familiar with these critters - is that crap normal for these kind of rattlers?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 05/31/18 09:30 AM

Yes it's normal. They shed and replace fangs like sharks do teeth, so it's not unusual to see pairs of fangs in vipers, or even sometimes 3 sets - a developing one, a primary in use one, and an outgoing one.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/01/18 01:46 AM

Was out this afternoon cutting my grass and scraping my driveway.
Afterwards, I was trashing some old wood that the previous owner had left on the ground and found this little fella (King Snake):

[Linked Image]

I was happy to see him (and not one of his evil cousins) and hope he finds a new home around my shop.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/01/18 03:17 PM

[Linked Image]

That's what I was thinking.
Posted By: BC

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/01/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stob

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's a Eastern Diamondback. You will find them in the Southern part of Alabama and not in the Northern part as stated. It would have to be a timber that far north. That snake is probably > 4 ft in length overall. It's a healthy specimen but they are holding it out on a stick making it seem much larger than it really is.

I used to have some pictures I did with a copperhead in my yard where I took a pic of me holding the snake in my hand and then one where I was holding it out on a stick. I had some folks convinced it was the Godzilla of copperheads. In actuality it was 13 inches long and big around as a #2 pencil.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/05/18 02:51 AM

That’s a big boy there. Those Easterns get large! The one Farm boy got. Pretty skin on it

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:42 AM

90% of the snake strikes take place from the knee down. However, with a rattler that large - I would image that his strike would likely be higher...so the snake gaiters/boots would be useless (just a guess).

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by BC
Originally Posted by Stob

[Linked Image]

Yep, that's a Eastern Diamondback. You will find them in the Southern part of Alabama and not in the Northern part as stated. It would have to be a timber that far north. That snake is probably > 4 ft in length overall. It's a healthy specimen but they are holding it out on a stick making it seem much larger than it really is.

I used to have some pictures I did with a copperhead in my yard where I took a pic of me holding the snake in my hand and then one where I was holding it out on a stick. I had some folks convinced it was the Godzilla of copperheads. In actuality it was 13 inches long and big around as a #2 pencil.

What are they suppose to do? Hold it up to their chest so it can kiss them? Thats a big snake. You can cut them boys down anywhich way you want but thats still a long thick snake. The arms they are using to hold it are atleast 3ft long. That snake is atleast 6ft. Probably more. No matter what picture you take...there will always be some nay sayers lol

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 05:56 AM

A couple weeks ago we was on g ville lake in honey comb. Wife had to pee. I pulled the boat up on hwy 431 causeway. I said watch for snakes. She squats and pees on the rip rap bank lol. Heck some cars might have gotten a free show but we figured if we cant see them they cant see us. She pees, stands up and pulls her shorts up. She looks down in the rocks and says....i hear a hissing noise! I said snake! I got up and looked in the rocks. She had peed on a banded water snake. I got a glimpse of him trying to hide deeper in the rocks. I didnt see him good but i think it was a water snake. She said....i didn't know snakes hissed? I said they only hiss when you piss on their heads lol.

Your lucky he didnt bite you in the gooch! Them rocks are ate up with snakes. I hate snakes. I need to change my nick name. Its the wrestler....not a snake lover. Although the ladies use to call me jake the snake in my loafering years. beers

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 09:06 AM

i hear a hissing noise! I said snake! I got up and looked in the rocks. She had peed on a banded water snake. I got a glimpse of him trying to hide deeper in the rocks. I didnt see him good but i think it was a water snake. She said....i didn't know snakes hissed? I said they only hiss when you piss on their heads lol. rofl

In-law of mine was scouting through some cutover when he heard, "what sounded like air coming out of a truck tire". Being very familiar with snakes, he knew what it was - and tried to pound-sand going the opposite direction and got tackled by some wait-a-minute vines. I asked him how the rest of the scout went, he said -"that was the end of it, had to go back to truck and calm down". He said it was the loudest hissing from a snake that he'd ever heard.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 01:47 PM

If indeed that is a legit picture, that looks more like a western diamondback. The very distinctive and pronounced zebra stripes on the tail end makes me question the claim of it being an eastern.

Dr. B

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
If indeed that is a legit picture, that looks more like a western diamondback. The very distinctive and pronounced zebra stripes on the tail end makes me question the claim of it being an eastern.

Dr. B

I was thinking the same thing and googled pics of both yesterday. Easterns are usually more subdued stripes.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc

Dr. B

I was thinking the same thing and googled pics of both yesterday. Easterns are usually more subdued stripes.

No need to argue with genius jake, the snake expert. He just ain’t getting it. The point is, it’s not a timber rattler, and that’s all that exists in the area where they claim it was killed. At that point, who would believe any of the made up pic/story?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:24 PM

sure as hail ain't a Timber Rattler, I've been close and personal with them.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:40 PM

The arms they are using to hold it are atleast 3ft long. That snake is atleast 6ft. Probably more.

It's a big snake but 6 ft? Hayul Naw....rolleyes

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 02:53 PM

This is how these giant rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths you see are displayed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 03:01 PM

Im 6ft 2 inches. This snake was longer than me without a doubt. I thought 7ft but just to be fair im gonna say 6ft 4 inches. Yes the world record timber rattlesnake is 62 or 64.5 inches. I bet evetything this snake was atleast a few inches if not 6 inches longer than the record. I had no idea the record was only over 6ft.

lol Don’t argue lengths with ole jake!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 03:02 PM

sure as hail ain't a Timber Rattler, I've been close and personal with them.

Didn't you get bit by one? I've tangled with a few but never have gotten bit (knock on wood).

Me and a buddy caught a big timber ratter in Perry Co years ago. A cold snap came in and the temp dropped 20 degrees in an hour or two. We were walking in and came across it and it was real lethargic. It was about 5 feet long and we later found out it was full of little ones. Anyway we caught it and put in in a yellow 5 gallon bucket and put it in the truck bed. The sun on that yellow bucket warmed her up pretty good and she got pretty lively. I didn't know how to get her out so we just unscrewed the cap off the lid of the bucket and filled it full of water.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 03:41 PM

got hit by a five footer in 1985 while turkey hunting. One fang went thru a Lacrosse Grange boot, tucked in pants, and my left calf. It was a mostly dry bite, had a lil swelling and a rash. I did throw up twice when I saw the size of the snake and realized I was over a mile from the truck.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 05:31 PM

got hit by a five footer in 1985 while turkey hunting. One fang went thru a Lacrosse Grange boot, tucked in pants, and my left calf. It was a mostly dry bite, had a lil swelling and a rash. I did throw up twice when I saw the size of the snake and realized I was over a mile from the truck.

DAYNG - fella, I would have thrown up too (in both directions).

Although, not a snake rated boot - its was still pretty thick (double-walled boot) - not counting the tucked in pants.

From reading finding a boot that will really stop a snake can be iffy - especially if you run up on a big-boy that can strike above knee height. Supposedly, if you can push a needle through the boot with a thimble (applying reasonable pressure not that turn-the-hat backwards Over the Top stuff) - then you may want to shop around. That said, a needle is supposedly harder than a fang, but sounds like a reasonable test. Could also put water balloons in the boot and let a rattler hit it; easier said then done - as I can't be that close to one that I can identify without my trigger finger itching.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 06:18 PM

I agree with the tail markings. We don't see many diamond backs but when we do their tails are darker. I attached the tail end pics of the one I killed last week. I measured him at 5 ft 4 inches minus his rattlers and head. And that a giant for down here. I've heard of bigger but never seen one bigger than this one in person.

https://s22.postimg.cc/40bibagcx/IMG_2610.jpg

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 06:23 PM

I didn't notice the zebra striping on the tail either so it's probably a Western. I've never seen an Eastern with the white bands.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 07:46 PM

that snake that hit me bit 2" below the top of a Grange boot, maybe 6" below the knee. I guess the boot/pants combo stopped or turned the other fang.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/06/18 11:28 PM

That’s my wife’s cousin. That snake she’s holding in the video that’s been all over Facebook is a diamondback water snake.

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/07/18 01:15 AM

I know I’m new here on this site. But I’ve never even heard of this diamondback water snake. I don’t believe there are black painters in Alabama or Sasquatches. But if your telling the truth I gotta know. Lol. Maybe some of the others can enlighten me. Lol. Thanks. 👍🏻
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/07/18 10:43 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/07/18 11:52 AM

Well, I learned something new today:

diamondback water snake

"When foraging for food the diamondback water snake will hang on branches suspended over the water, dipping its head under the surface of the water, until it encounters a fish or other prey. It is frequently found basking on branches over water, and when approached, it will quickly drop into the water and swim away. If cornered, it will often hiss, and flatten the head and body to appear larger. It only typically resorts to biting if physically harassed or handled. Its bite is known to be quite painful due to its sharp teeth meant to keep hold of slippery fish. Unfortunately, this defensive behavior is frequently misinterpreted as aggression and often leads to its being mistaken for the venomous cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus), with which it does share habitat in some places. The brown/tan coloration and diamond-shaped pattern also causes it to be mistaken for rattlesnakes, especially when encountered on land by individuals unfamiliar with snakes."

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/07/18 12:34 PM

Me too! I had no idea there was such a thing. Thanks for posting Shaw. I bet a lot of them get killed by people thinking its a Water Moccasin.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/14/18 05:06 PM

Nice cobra from the house this morning. They County was busy hogging the sides of roads so it must have run him into the yard. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/14/18 06:35 PM

^^^glad he made it out. They are not that common anymore.

Dr. B

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 01:30 AM

What kind of snake is that?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 02:43 AM

Looks like a an Eastern hognose snake - they put on a good show.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 10:48 AM

We don't have cobras in the US.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 01:40 PM

We don't have cobras in the US.

I saw a nine foot King Cobra in Shelby Co and know of a Monacled Cobra in St. Clair Co.....just saying. Dumbazz folks do buy em and some escape.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 03:39 PM

Okay. Then I will clarify.
Hopefully we don't have a breeding population of cobras in the US.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 03:47 PM

I have seen a lot of rattle snakes, and that pic has me puzzled. Biggest population of Eastern ones that I know of is out at Pelham Range. And I aint talking no babies either! Ran over one back in 1996 at the utes gate that felt like a speed bump!
Posted By: Backporch

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/15/18 04:53 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Backporch
[Linked Image]

He'll run across one one day that break him of that.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE

My 11 year pointer has been bitten by two copperheads. He will still attack and kill any snake that comes into "his" yard. I wouldn't mind if he just made me aware of the snake, but he hates them too much for that. He's gonna kill it.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 04:27 AM

[Linked Image]

Backporch....what kind of puppy is that!? He looks like he would keep the piddlers out of the yard!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 10:31 AM

Had a Jack Russell that would kill any snake that entered his territory. He would grab that thing and shake the stuffing out of em until they were dead or wished they were dead; never could break him of the habit.

A buddy of mine had a Jack Russell that would do the same until it tangled with one that was quicker than it was. The doggie won the war but eventually lost the battle and died later the same day.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 11:43 AM

If your dog gets bitten, feed him lots of high fat, high protein foods.
Give him bacon, raw eggs, lots of grease. Most often they will recover.
I honestly think that's why Toby isn't afraid of snakes.
He knows if he gets bitten I'll give him a bacon buffet.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 04:53 PM

[Linked Image]

Backporch....what kind of puppy is that!? He looks like he would keep the piddlers out of the yard!

Cross ...black mouth cur and bulldog. He was a damn good dog and excellent on a blood trail. [Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 11:15 PM

[Linked Image]

Cross ...black mouth cur and bulldog. He was a damn good dog and excellent on a blood trail. [Linked Image]

That dog is a beast!!! thumbup
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 11:16 PM

My friend, wife and sister took this rattler out while getting ready to pick blackberries at my
Hunting camp. Big nasty sob. Glad they saw it before they stumbled on it and got bit.

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/16/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by DEADorALIVE

My 11 year pointer has been bitten by two copperheads. He will still attack and kill any snake that comes into "his" yard. I wouldn't mind if he just made me aware of the snake, but he hates them too much for that. He's gonna kill it.

I had a lab back in high school that got bit by so many copperheads it didn't even bother him anymore, but he came back up to the house one day with fang marks almost 2" apart...that one very nearly done him in!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/18/18 10:53 AM

6-7 years ago I had a chocolate lab female named Belle. My wife and I were watching some early season college football one night and at halftime of the game I decided to feed the dogs their evening dinner. I went out on the porch and Bo ran up on the porch like usual and Belle just sat there at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me with a pitiful look in her eyes. I called her and she wouldn't budge so I said in a stern voice "Come here" and she tried to come up the stairs but looked like a drunk falling over and struggling to get her legs under her. I went down to the bottom of the stairs and picked her up and carried her into the house. She kept licking my face over and over as I carried her up the stairs. I put her on a blanket and called the vet and they told me to watch her overnight and if she wasn't any better by Monday morning to bring her to their office. I guess about 20 minutes later she layed her head down and stopped breathing and her eyes glazed over. I started looking her over and found two fang marks about 2 inches apart on her back leg which told me what I needed to know.

I killed that timber rattler on the road in front of my house the next morning.

Belle saved me from getting bit one night in the yard. I pulled in from work about 3 am and got out of my truck and was walking around the front of the truck. It was black dark outside because my wife turned the porch light off so I couldn't see anything except for one little spot of light coming from the kitchen window. I hear Belle coming through the backyard to greet me and when she got in the light from the kitchen window a few feet from me she just jumped back and stood there staring. I eased back to my truck and got a flashlight and sure enough a two and half foot copperhead was coiled up right in the entryway to the backyard and I would have probably stepped on it. I didn't want to put off a gun in the driveway at 3 am so I pinned it's head down with a stick one of the dogs had drug up in the yard. Once I had the snake in hand I took it around to the back of my truck and got a pair of pliers and crunched it's head with those. I wound up keeping the skin and made a hatband out of it.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/19/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by BC
6-7 years ago I had a chocolate lab female named Belle. My wife and I were watching some early season college football one night and at halftime of the game I decided to feed the dogs their evening dinner. I went out on the porch and Bo ran up on the porch like usual and Belle just sat there at the bottom of the stairs looking up at me with a pitiful look in her eyes. I called her and she wouldn't budge so I said in a stern voice "Come here" and she tried to come up the stairs but looked like a drunk falling over and struggling to get her legs under her. I went down to the bottom of the stairs and picked her up and carried her into the house. She kept licking my face over and over as I carried her up the stairs. I put her on a blanket and called the vet and they told me to watch her overnight and if she wasn't any better by Monday morning to bring her to their office. I guess about 20 minutes later she layed her head down and stopped breathing and her eyes glazed over. I started looking her over and found two fang marks about 2 inches apart on her back leg which told me what I needed to know.

Belle saved me from getting bit one night in the yard. I pulled in from work about 3 am and got out of my truck and was walking around the front of the truck. It was black dark outside because my wife turned the porch light off so I couldn't see anything except for one little spot of light coming from the kitchen window. I hear Belle coming through the backyard to greet me and when she got in the light from the kitchen window a few feet from me she just jumped back and stood there staring. I eased back to my truck and got a flashlight and sure enough a two and half foot copperhead was coiled up right in the entryway to the backyard and I would have probably stepped on it. I didn't want to put off a gun in the driveway at 3 am so I pinned it's head down with a stick one of the dogs had drug up in the yard. Once I had the snake in hand I took it around to the back of my truck and got a pair of pliers and crunched it's head with those. I wound up keeping the skin and made a hatband out of it.

Dang....sorry to hear about your dog. Crazy story. RIP Belle.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/19/18 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BC
She kept licking my face over and over as I carried her up the stairs. I put her on a blanket and called the vet and they told me to watch her overnight and if she wasn't any better by Monday morning to bring her to their office. I guess about 20 minutes later she layed her head down and stopped breathing and her eyes glazed over. I started looking her over and found two fang marks about 2 inches apart on her back leg which told me what I needed to know.

Dang....sorry to hear about your dog. Crazy story. RIP Belle.

Ditto - sorry about your dog - sounds like she was awesome pup! Glad you put that rattler down.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/19/18 11:44 AM

Thanks fellas.

She was a good dog and she found several wounded deer over the years. She was a bit hard headed but was a great dog. I still miss her even though it was several years back.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/23/18 10:27 PM

[Linked Image]

This was under a zucchini plant when I went to pick today. 5 ft rat snake. Wife would’ve freaked. She is usually the one picking.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/24/18 01:41 AM

[Linked Image]

This was under a zucchini plant when I went to pick today. 5 ft rat snake. Wife would’ve freaked. She is usually the one picking.

Yep, one of those situations where you go to grab the plant and it grabs you back. Your wife isn't the only one that would have freaked!

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/27/18 02:58 PM

Its so hot - the snakes have stopped moving. beers

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/27/18 04:11 PM

Caught a corn snake the other day while taking some stands down. Wasn't but about 14 inches long. Always been my favorite snake and would've kept him if I'd had a place for him. But I took him over about 10 yards away and let him go on his merry way.

Dr. B
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 06/27/18 11:57 PM

No kidding

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/01/18 10:05 PM

He gone.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/02/18 09:02 PM

Killed a 5' timber rattler today while bush hogging.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/02/18 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by deadeye48
Killed a 5' timber rattler today while bush hogging.

I had a rattlesnake a little smaller than that think he was a little bad ass. After the disk modified him into 5-6 8" sections he realized his error.

rofl

A few years before that I was mowing around the lake and a moccasin struck the front tire and his fangs got caught in the rubber. LOL I finished mowing with him flopping around and around. He did not seem as amused as I was.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/03/18 12:39 PM

I wish somebody would tell the snakes at my place that. Killed 2 cottonmouths and a copperhead in about 2 hours Saturday morning.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/03/18 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by twaldrop4

I wish somebody would tell the snakes at my place that. Killed 2 cottonmouths and a copperhead in about 2 hours Saturday morning.

Dang - oh well, time to break the gaiters back out.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/05/18 11:22 AM

That looks more like an eastern diamondback than a timber rattler. Easterns get much bigger

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/05/18 03:50 PM

Yeah me thinks that's an Eastern

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/08/18 06:11 PM

I Ran over a timber rattler today on a dirt road. The first pass didn’t kill him so i backed up stoped my front tire on him and twisted the wheel a bit, heard a POP and that was it he was done.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/09/18 10:01 AM

I Ran over a timber rattler today on a dirt road. The first pass didn’t kill him so i backed up stoped my front tire on him and twisted the wheel a bit, heard a POP and that was it he was done.

thumbup beers thumbup
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/09/18 11:17 AM

[Linked Image]
My uncles brother killed this one yesterday.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/09/18 11:10 PM

That's a nice one

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/10/18 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Avengedsevenfold
That's a nice one

Skinned it out and will feast on the meat. I have several I have tanned.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/10/18 09:46 AM

Nice one! A few folks on the thread are looking for some for their bows - just an fyi.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/10/18 08:20 PM

Killed a 4 footish rattlesnake in front of my house just now

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/11/18 12:27 PM

This is the worst thread ever on aldeer. Please delete moderators

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/12/18 02:58 AM

This is the worst thread ever on aldeer. Please delete moderators

Lol may i ask why ben? I enjoy it.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/12/18 02:15 PM

Because it's well known on Aldeer that Ol Ben don't care too much about bellycrawlers.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/12/18 02:56 PM

I've had a ton of fun with guys that are scared of snakes.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/13/18 01:16 PM

That sounds dangerous. I told a guy who threatened to put one in my truck one night yhat if I ever got my truck stopped without wrecking I would shoot him. Guess he beleived me cause he did not follow through with his end.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/14/18 01:02 AM

That sounds dangerous. I told a guy who threatened to put one in my truck one night yhat if I ever got my truck stopped without wrecking I would shoot him. Guess he beleived me cause he did not follow through with his end.

I've had some fun messing with folks who are afraid of snakes.
But I also know which ones not to mess with either.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/14/18 01:05 AM

I've had some fun messing with folks who are afraid of snakes.
But I also know which ones not to mess with either.

Discretion is the better part of valor.
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/20/18 02:15 AM

https://youtu.be/E6FhEDUSbB0
Posted By: canvasback

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/21/18 01:51 AM

Killed a young two foot long timber rattler in my garage about three feet from our door. That was a first.....
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/21/18 08:24 AM

Well I had a first yesterday... I was hit a little above my ankle by a very large rattler. I had on snake boots but I don’t think the snake was trying to bite me. I stepped around a little bush and actually stepped on her. Got a glimpse of a flash of movement and felt it hit my left leg but the more I think about it I believe she just bumped me try trying to get herself coiled. The snake never rattled at all even after being startled that bad.
What’s weird is that I made a comment the other day that I hadn’t seen a bad snake all year and then yesterday I got on 3 different ones within an hour and a half of each other. 2 of the 3 never rattled. One was completely docile and never paid me any attention whatsoever.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/21/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BrentM
Well I had a first yesterday... I was hit a little above my ankle by a very large rattler. I had on snake boots but I don’t think the snake was trying to bite me. I stepped around a little bush and actually stepped on her. Got a glimpse of a flash of movement and felt it hit my left leg but the more I think about it I believe she just bumped me try trying to get herself coiled. The snake never rattled at all even after being startled that bad.
What’s weird is that I made a comment the other day that I hadn’t seen a bad snake all year and then yesterday I got on 3 different ones within an hour and a half of each other. 2 of the 3 never rattled. One was completely docile and never paid me any attention whatsoever.

That's typical for a rattlesnake. They are not aggressive at all.
I've walked all over them, only to discover their presence when they crawled away.
They usually only strike for two reasons; to eat, and to defend. People and animals get bitten when they piss em off.
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/21/18 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BrentM

Stepped on one last year actually felt it smush. It never moved or rattled. I used to kill all rattlesnakes but the last few years, guess I'm getting soft, usually just leave them alone if there not around my house.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/22/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Farmer64
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/22/18 03:03 AM

I've walked all over them, only to discover their presence when they crawled away.
They usually only strike for two reasons; to eat, and to defend. People and animals get bitten when they piss em off.

This. The vast majority of encounters between rattlesnakes and humans end with the human never knowing he'd just had an encounter, and the vast majority of rattlesnake bites on humans are below the knee or below the elbow...
look at it from the snake's point of view...you're like 5000 times bigger than he is, he can't eat you and he can't whip you. He's got no truck with you, he just doesn't want to be stepped on or messed with.

"and the vast majority of rattlesnake bites on humans are below the knee or below the elbow..." While this can probably be said of most other venomous species, as well, some, like a moccasin, will often go out of their way to get IN your way, and others, like a copperhead, are simply quick biters, often not bothering to wait to be sure you're not going to step on them or mess with them before striking.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/22/18 07:02 PM

Growing up my grandparents had a GSD named Ruff. When we would go pick blackberries or squirrel hunting he would go with us, if there was a snake around he would make quick work of it.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/22/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by canvasback
Killed a young two foot long timber rattler in my garage about three feet from our door. That was a first.....

The only snakebite I've ever had was from a Copperhead in my moms garage.
Posted By: blade

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/22/18 09:17 PM

I wandered around in some of as snaky an areas you ever wanted to be in yesterday afternoon. Not a sign of a snake. Wonder if hogs are working on them?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/23/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by blade
I wandered around in some of as snaky an areas you ever wanted to be in yesterday afternoon. Not a sign of a snake. Wonder if hogs are working on them?

The only snakes I usually encounter, on these days, is a timber rattler. And most of the time you'll never even know they're near you.
Moccasins aren't very active in 90 degree weather. They'll lay up in the Creeks and swamps, and stay in hiding. When it gets down around 70 then look out, the moccasins will come alive.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/23/18 01:31 PM

Killed a timber about 50 feet from my back porch yesterday evening. I was up in the mountain checking a game camera in my dadgum tennis shoes and thought I heard a rattle but it was really loud and back down towards my house. So I start walking back down that way clearing some brush on my trail to the feeder with my machete, then I hear it again and immediately knew what it was. My kid's kittens done found them a rattler that I probably walked within 10 feet of and didn't have a clue it was there. I get back down closer to the house and sure enough the 2 kittens were staring at it, I wouldn't have known it was laying up against the rocks if it wasn't for those cats. My GSP was going nuts her kennel about 50 yards away cause she could hear it rattling, it was so loud. I go get my phone and record it rattling so I could show my kids what one sounds like, then I shot it......4 times! Snake had 10 and a button and had just ate a dove that I am assuming was eating on the seed below the bird feeder about 15 feet away from where I killed him.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/24/18 02:20 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s a hell of a snake skin. How long was that snake?
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/24/18 03:57 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coffee county rattler?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/24/18 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bull64
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coffee county rattler?

Yes

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/24/18 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by M48scout
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s a hell of a snake skin. How long was that snake?

5’
Posted By: treemydog

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 07/27/18 11:24 AM

Was out for a jog in my neighborhood last night, and jogged over a ~18" copperhead. He was crossing between two undeveloped lots lying on the white line. I didn't see him until I was almost straddle him, but after I stuck the landing from an Olympic qualifying long jump, the near-by area light was bright enough for me to make a positive ID. I didn't have anything to dispatch him with, and by the time I wrenched off a good size tree limb and got back to the spot he had already scooted off the shoulder and into the tall grass. I never saw him again.

We've been in our house for 14 years, and even though there are plenty of wooded areas between houses, this is only the 5th venomous snake I've seen. My squirrel dog dug out a sizeable copperhead in the edge of the yard last year, and for the rest of our time there, I've seen three other copperheads and one cottonmouth crossing the entry road to our neighborhood.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/12/18 01:28 AM

Several times on here people have talked about others that may want some snake skins. We put a large timber rattler in the freezer tonight, I can’t figure out how to post a pic but I can text them. We have no use for them. Only saving because someone else might want them. If someone wants some rattle snakes to skin out please let me know. Thanks.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/13/18 10:39 AM

Several times on here people have talked about others that may want some snake skins. We put a large timber rattler in the freezer tonight, I can’t figure out how to post a pic but I can text them. We have no use for them. Only saving because someone else might want them. If someone wants some rattle snakes to skin out please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks FLFarmBoy - some folks have mentioned skinning their longbows with a good rattler or copperhead skin; perhaps someone will take-em off your hands.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/14/18 04:27 AM

[Linked Image]

Last month. Apparently ran over this one one day with a flat tractor tire. I didn’t know this until my daughter and friend almost stepped on it the next day. Got everyone’s blood pumping for sure. 5’
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/16/18 04:02 AM

Found this poor guy run over in South Baldwin County this evening. It'll look decent on a cedar plank.

[Linked Image]

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/16/18 12:54 PM

Man those are some pretty ones! Healthy too.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 01:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by slippinlipjr
[Linked Image]

Please tell me you didn't let that one live?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 02:11 PM

Killed rattle snake #2 about 2 feet from where I killed rattle snake #1 last Friday. I guess the things are setting up shop by my bird feeder. This one my GSP found (she learns quicky as she was bite last year). She barked like all get out until I come out and invested and shot it. Biggest one I've ever killed or seen.
[Linked Image]gif hosting
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 03:29 PM

Guy in my club killed a copperhead laying under his four wheeler that was parker behind the camp yesterday.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 07:51 PM

[quote=slippinlipjr]Found this poor guy run over in South Baldwin County this evening. It'll look decent on a cedarplank

Cool looking dog!
Posted By: bdw32

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/17/18 11:49 PM

[Linked Image]

Came flying around the corner and find out there’s a road block ahead.
All I had with me was a machete.. not bringing a knife to a gang fight.
Too big a boy.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/18/18 04:52 PM

That is a good sized one. Surely you guys are rethinking your decision to build a house on this particular spot of land ... eek

Originally Posted by demp17
Killed rattle snake #2 about 2 feet from where I killed rattle snake #1 last Friday. I guess the things are setting up shop by my bird feeder. This one my GSP found (she learns quicky as she was bite last year). She barked like all get out until I come out and invested and shot it. Biggest one I've ever killed or seen.

eek

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/18/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by wmd
That is a good sized one. Surely you guys are rethinking your decision to build a house on this particular spot of land ... eek

Originally Posted by demp17

eek

The wife is definitely having to adjust to the living where snakes like this crawl around. As long as they stay in the mountain we all right, if they ever cross the creek and get into the back yard she gonna slap a for sale sign in the yard
Posted By: canvasback

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/18/18 10:57 PM

What parts of Bama can you find diamondbacks?

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/18/18 11:21 PM

We have them here in Coffee county. South Alabama
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/19/18 03:06 AM

I was looking for this thread earlier. Posted somewhere else, but I'll add a couple pictures.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bull64

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/19/18 06:51 PM

And some damn good'uns too...

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/19/18 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bull64

And some damn good'uns too...

Mainly south of 84 now. Used to be some in Dallas county but haven't seen any in decades there.

Re: Careful - Jake is out in force - 08/24/18 02:24 PM

[Linked Image]

Wife sent me this pic from 2 days ago riding the farm. She was too busy trying to get the dog in the truck and it slipped into the woods. I told her next time get a tire on it then get the dog. It’s about 3ft from where I killed the last one!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM