Aldeer.com

Game camera in off season

Posted By: jaybuckman

Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 09:36 PM

Just seeing what some may say about having game cameras in the summer or off season for deer. Is there an advantage to checking them from May till start of new bow season or is May to early to start
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 09:41 PM

Personally, I like seeing the velvet pictures and watching the antler growth.

Not sure if there is any value in it other than that. All my cameras are on my place, 30 minutes from our house, and we will be living there later this year.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 10:28 PM

Off-Season.......what is that?
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hogwild

That's when you work your ass off trying to make your place better for next year.

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 11:01 PM

Yeah that’s what I was thinking just didn’t know how many people ran cameras this early in the season

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 11:03 PM

I run em year-round and have for years.

I like to get to 'know' those old mature bucks. And, there are a lot of little idiosyncrasies that you can pick up on by watching them year-round.

And, I just LOVE watching em!!
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/01/18 11:04 PM

Running cameras for deer during the summer is a waste of time for me. I'll start them in September.
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 12:43 AM

Was thinking of putting one out after a scouting trip, but deer travel will change when food dries up and the pressure is on; still, I would like to see what's creep'n in dem woods.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 12:55 AM

I take them out of the woods after turkey season and will put them back out about September.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 12:58 AM

I run mine all year, Get great pics on big well established salt licks now and into in the summer months. The deer will check them out regularly and travel to them from quite a distance, Especially if they hold water. I don't check them for a month or two at a time.

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:15 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You just never know WHAT you mite get a pic of during the Summer!! wink
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:23 AM

DANG!!

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:29 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You just never know WHAT you mite get a pic of during the Summer!! wink

You got any pics from Summertime? rofl

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:32 AM

Yeah......last Summer.
But, I did not want to dig em up.....so, I just used a few from the past week or two.

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:36 AM

Yeah......last Summer.
But, I did not want to dig em up.....so, I just used a few from the past week or two.

Just ribbing. I was admiring the pics and happen to notice the date. Cool pics.

Do y'all see bears very much on your place?

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:37 AM

Just the one passer through.

And, I hope that he never invites any buddies along with him!!

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:40 AM

I don't blame you. Bigt has taught us how bad those things can be.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:54 AM

I usually don't. I figure that is time I'm taking off the life expectancy of my cameras. I just put them out when it counts.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 02:12 AM

I've had one up since the end of the season. Next chance I'll get it down and put it back up when the racks start developing to the point you can tell the real trophies from the guest bucks.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 02:22 AM

I deer hunt all the time. Only get to kill em for a couple of months though.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by dBmV

That's when you work your ass off trying to make your place better for next year.

I pull almost all of mine mid April. except the ones I leave out on roads or gates watching for trespassers. They go back up 1st of october after the planting is done.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 03:15 AM

Mine go back out mid June when racks are forming and stay up till end of turkey season.

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 03:23 AM

Appreciate all the replies I think I will put mine back out 1st of June so I can catch them during antler growth and in velvet before bow season starts. I am trying a 12 volt battery out on a covert game camera so it’s a good time to see how long it will run.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 01:56 PM

I run them year-round. Why not? Why wouldn't you want to see what's happening in spring, possibly with turkeys or predators, deer with fawns, and then in summer with antler growth or other sightings?
Posted By: Nightwatchman

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/02/18 07:48 PM

If you paid for a game camera, put it in the woods, it can hang on a tree just as easy as it can sit on a shelf in the garage
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/03/18 10:13 PM

Ive only got 1 out right now but I will be at the club next week planting and will set out a few then. I don't know if there is an advantage to it but I like seeing what goes on during the summer months.
Posted By: LVS

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/04/18 04:43 PM

My club went to a rule this year not allowing cameras from fall planting until end of deer season. That is fine with me. I prefer running cameras post season to late summer. That gives me a good idea of what made it through the season and what is likely to be around for the next season.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Game camera in off season - 05/04/18 08:30 PM

I'll be putting all mine back out this weekend. I'm going to freshen up all my mineral sites and get ready to start planting summer plots. I usually just leave them out all year but I had to pull them son that the timber cutters wouldn't destroy them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM