Aldeer.com

Questions for Public Land hunters

Posted By: rolltidehunter

Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 01:10 PM

When you hunt public and walk far in and kill do y’all drag out or pack out.? I am thinking about starting to pack out. If y’all pack out what kind of pack or setup do y’all use to get deer out. Just curious. I got some spots on public that will take several hours to get a deer out but if I can pack out and save a lot of time and dragging it would better. I hunt alone on public so trying to get some info on how y’all pack out.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 01:22 PM

Get a game cart.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 01:27 PM

Whatever you do, use game bags

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Ala...rwLVEAQYASABEgKRBfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 02:18 PM

I like the Ovis game bags. They are a synthetic, lightweight material, but very strong. I have two sets and have used both multiple times. I think I'm on my 6th year with one set. I just soak the bloody ones in a 5 gallon bucket for a few days and then put in washing machine and hang dry.

Camofire puts them up a few times a month, so check in there. There are deer and elk sized. I prefer the bigger ones, even for deer. You can get them for around $40-45.

Those game bags will not keep your pack from getting bloody, so use garbage bags if you are worried about that. I just hose my pack out when I'm done. I like to let those quarters breath too, which I feel like is a problem with garbage bags.

Get a good pack and good boots. Get used to carrying a load. I packed a whole quartered deer in one trip last year. I hadn't done that in a long time and thought I'd try it again. Next time, I'll make two trips. shocked

I have a badlands 2200 pack. Its the older version. Its been a beast, fits me well. I'm thinking about upgrading but it hasn't let me down yet.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 02:34 PM

I have a game cart, the standard variety you see in most magazines or sporting goods websites.

One guy I have seen take one of the 3 wheeled baby strollers with the larger type wheels made for jogging, hiking, etc, and he packs the deer into that thing and pushes it out. Claims it works better than the game carts, so go figure. I'm sure there are also other redneck inventions or alternatives out there as well.

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 03:43 PM

I hunt Skyline WMA mostly and game cart don’t work up there to good due to all the limestone rocks and deep ravines. Thanks for info guys.
Posted By: Razorsharp123

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 03:53 PM

I do a little of both depending on where I am hunting.

Some of the land that I hunt has hills that make it a pain, and a game cart can sometimes make it harder as you have to keep it from rolling back down a hill you are working up. I have used a game cart, just plain drug them, and broken them down and packed them out.

Really just depends on the particular spot, the terrain and how far I am from the car. Also depends if I have someone else nearby that might be willing to help drag!
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 08:34 PM

I bet I have hauled 100 deer off Lauderdale WMA with a wheel barrow. The wheel barrow works ten times better than the game cart. I have been hauling deer out this way since the late 70's and it works like a charm. You can thank me later.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 11:04 PM

Pack them out. Way easier than a game cart and don't waste your money on game bags unless you plan on leaving it hanging in the field over night. I use heavy duty trash bags and have never had an issue with them.

I have a Kifaru AMR that I've packed deer and elk with.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/25/18 11:10 PM

Cloth (cotton) laundry bags with the tie cord at the top.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/26/18 02:10 AM

I used a cart and it helped half the way. Then drug it up the slopes with cart half the time. Gotta pick it up over logs. Thick leaves dont allow it to roll hardly.

I once shot a hog and it took me 3 hrs to drag it out 700yds. Wasnt even real steep. Me and another smaller man. Hog maybe weighed 180-200lbs at most. 688yds to truck said gps. The carts help a lot but not much on slopes. I have dragged all my stuff out. I wont shoot if im in a bad recovery area and dont have all day. I think a 2 wheel dolly with big wheels might work best. Strap it up right and tow it like a fridge.

I havent hunted the bad spots but will pack out into back pack and duffle bag. Meat in garbage bags.

If its warm i bring a long cooler to throw meat in fer the ride home. Ice at corner store. Then the real work begins at home cutting. I plan on making a processing area at home under a lean to or somethin. Stainless steel table too.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/26/18 05:36 PM

I pack mine out. I have a Mystery Ranch "Marshall" that I use to pack it out. Get yourself some quality game bags. I really, really, really like my "Caribou Gear" game bags. They are synthetic and don't keep any smells, etc. Also, they have a fine enough weave to keep dirt out and flies from laying eggs if you hang your meat.

I use the gutless method on most kills and get the hide off and the quarters cooled down. I can pretty much pack a whole deer / antelope out in one trip depending on what was in the pack to start with.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 03:10 PM

Game cart attached to mountain bike
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Get a game cart.

This
Posted By: AMB

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 06:49 PM

I use a army Alice pack and line it with a garbage bag. I’ve done it with and without the pack frame and I prefer using the frame, it takes a lot of weight off of your shoulders.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by muddyfeet

Get a game cart.

This

Beware of unseen logs though...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 08:18 PM

I've packed out a couple deer. I take a back pack to put the lions,and shoulders in and cut the spine in half at the waist leaving the skin and legs then throw em on my shoulders while holding legs. works for me.
Posted By: Out back

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 08:57 PM

Game carts will work you death, worse than dragging a deer.
What you need is a game sled. I bought one from Cabela’s about 20 years ago.
It makes a 150# deer feel like a 20# turkey.
You can easily pull it over logs, through vines, and it slides through a swamp like a skiff.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/27/18 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Game carts will work you death, worse than dragging a deer.
What you need is a game sled. I bought one from Cabela’s about 20 years ago.
It makes a 150# deer feel like a 20# turkey.
You can easily pull it over logs, through vines, and it slides through a swamp like a skiff.

Agreed. I have one from when i hunted ducks out in CA. They make life SUPER easy. Also handy in the lawn.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/28/18 07:41 AM

We got 2 of The Rack Packer at the deer expo. And it works a whole lot better than my regular cart. It has one small wheel on the back. So it slides across the logs easier than the big bicycle wheels on the cart. Plus it has a strap to go across you're chest to help pull.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/28/18 11:51 PM

Get a game cart.
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/30/18 12:33 PM

If your already gear-heavy with a pack or hang-on, I would think a game sled would be best.
Posted By: BigUncleLeroy

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 04/30/18 06:04 PM

I have a torso harness used to pull a weight sled, hook myself up and it's like a tractor pull baby!
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 05/01/18 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack

A good substitute for typical game bags is pillow cases. A lot tougher and you can use for years.

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 05/01/18 01:46 AM

If its a long haul, its a lot easier on you physically to use a frame pack. Most deer could come out in one load.
Posted By: GCART81

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 06/05/18 04:30 PM

Hey RolltideHunter - I found a nice deal on a deer cart for cheep. This is coming from China and from some of the comments, you should expect a long ship-to date (30 - 60 days), but its only $13 dollars - roll-da-dice. Some fellas from Ga sent me the link and seem to be happy with the cart (not happy with the shipping). Also, since its PayPal - you can always get your $13 back.

Game Cart on EBay

Hope it helps!
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 06/05/18 05:03 PM

40gal 60mil contractor trash bags and a good pac of some sort preferably an xl alice pack.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 06/06/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by rolltidehunter
When you hunt public and walk far in and kill do y’all drag out or pack out.? I am thinking about starting to pack out. If y’all pack out what kind of pack or setup do y’all use to get deer out. Just curious. I got some spots on public that will take several hours to get a deer out but if I can pack out and save a lot of time and dragging it would better. I hunt alone on public so trying to get some info on how y’all pack out.

What public area are you hunting?

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 06/06/18 02:45 AM

Skyline WMA
Posted By: kntree

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 12:30 AM

Roger that..

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by rolltidehunter
Skyline WMA

Less i shot him real close to the truck id cut that sucker up an puteem inah poke.
Posted By: gcr0003

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 04:39 AM

I've been saying I'll figure it out once I actually kill a deer. When that time comes I'll likely be in a world of hurt.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 02:02 PM

You are hunting in the NA mountains , the locals drive their 4x4 4wheelers to them and gut and drag. I always figured the time you use quartering and making several trips packing you could just drag to the closet point to get a wheeler or truck to. Don't see one of those game carts working up here either unless you are on top of the plateau .
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
You are hunting in the NA mountains , the locals drive their 4x4 4wheelers to them and gut and drag. I always figured the time you use quartering and making several trips packing you could just drag to the closet point to get a wheeler or truck to. Don't see one of those game carts working up here either unless you are on top of the plateau .

I'm with you. If I could get a vehicle of some type close, I wouldn't worry with packing it out either. I'll only do it where vehicles aren't allowed or can't get close. My deer aren't as big as yours, so I can pack one out in one trip. Lol

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 11:28 PM

Frame pack. You can strap a tree stand and pack to it. You'll get a whole deer out on it after 1/4ing, if ya dont want to buy game bags, use pillow cases. No way I would use a game cart on a long pack out.

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs

There's no reason to make several trips with a quartered deer and a good pack...
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/30/18 11:37 PM

Pillow cases

Re: Questions for Public Land hunters - 07/31/18 01:20 AM

I just make one trip, but i will say...it takes a little extra time but if you debone it first its not bad at all.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM