Aldeer.com

Greetings from the newbie!

Posted By: GCART81

Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 02:11 PM

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

My family and I just moved to Cherokee country last year from Georgia. After being here for only a year, I wished we had made the move years ago - we absolutely love the people and the land. Since I'm back to my roots, I decided get back into deer hunting last season (haven't been hunting since I was a teenager). I was somewhat successful in harvesting two last season, but was hoping to get four to offset the grocery bill.
I was considering trying to hunt Skyline this season. I have read some of the older post on this WMA, but was wondering if anyone has any advise for a newbie. I'm in good health/shape and don't mind hiking for hours to get to a good spot; I also don't mind pack-in/out for a few days. I'm going to try to scout the area, but since its a huge area I would appreciate any help/tips on where to start.

G
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 02:14 PM

Welcome.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 02:45 PM

You said, "harvesting". grin
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 03:13 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Ain’t no deer in Jackson County.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 03:45 PM

Welcome aboard.
Posted By: DeerTracker

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 04:27 PM

Welcome aboard. There are many really good folks on here that can and will help you. For me, I hunt nowhere near there. I hunt between Auburn and Columbus, Ga. You can also do a search on here for Skyline that has been discussed over the years. Again welcome aboard and don't take a lot of the crap coming your way too seriously.
Posted By: mdf

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 05:42 PM

From what I've heard they done kilt all of dem mountain goats in Ole high jackson
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 06:27 PM

Welcome!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 07:30 PM

Buckle up.
Posted By: James

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 07:31 PM

Sup
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 11:19 PM

Welcome ! I love Cherokee county. I wouldn't have minded living in Leesburg. When I worked with the cable company years ago we serviced sand rock and Leesburg. Weiss lake had some beautiful home sites
Posted By: jb20

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/11/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shaneomac2
Welcome.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 01:57 AM

Welcome to Aldeer.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by MarksOutdoors

You said, "harvesting". grin
This^^^
Welcome
Posted By: bgarrett

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 03:35 AM

Welcome to Cherokee County. I'm a implant also, been here in Centre for 20 years. Lots of deer here without heading off up north. Lots of small clubs with deer and turkey. Shoot me a PM on anything you need to know?

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 02:21 PM

Thanks all for the help!!!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 03:53 PM

Welcome to the site! There are some of the best folks in the world on this site and a few that are like a splinter under your fingernail here as well but all we have a ton of fun! And for the record, we harvest crops and kill deer! Ain't no PC crap around here!

Dr. B

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/12/18 04:21 PM

Heck ya!!! I like it - I've found my people!
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/13/18 02:00 AM

Welcome !! Good folks in here!
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/13/18 02:30 PM

Welcome! All of the deer are in south alabama grin

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/15/18 02:16 PM

Gonna have to move again!
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/15/18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry692001

G you need to PM Quailman for a hunt. grin

Welcome to the train wreck.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/15/18 09:51 PM

Deer never offset a grocery bill. It just increases theory spent and takes up a heck of a lot of valuable time. Welcome aboard and welcome back home
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/16/18 11:21 PM

Welcome!!
Posted By: hawkeye_ken

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/16/18 11:50 PM

Welcome.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/17/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by leroycnbucks

That’s not like an infamous dove hunt that hosted a few years ago is it laugh
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/17/18 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by leroycnbucks

That’s not like an infamous dove hunt that hosted a few years ago is it laugh

Quailman is the South Alabama big button head and spike killer. He’s a pretty good shot on the dove field too.

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/17/18 11:43 AM

QQ - do you all remove the tenderloins before taking to processor? Buddy of mine told me that most processors will just add them to the ground pile.
Posted By: king

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/17/18 01:55 PM

there comes that famous HARVEST, guess some people cant say KILL.

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 04/30/18 12:41 PM

Yepper, It took a few reads to figure out what I said that was PC....lol, got no problem in saying I killed two last season; love the folks here!

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 05/02/18 02:56 PM

I’m not resource heavy, so I have to hunt on public land. From what I’ve been reading (little experience last year), you have to get deep in the woods when the pressure is on. Also, with some public land – you’re not allowed to leave a stand up overnight. So, here is my problem – weight. My hang-on tree stand, climbing sticks, and other crap (straps, harness, etc.) weigh in at 46#. My backpack (food, water, binos, rangfinder, compass, knife, etc.) comes in at 19#. So, this has me humping 65# – 70# of gear. I’m in good shape, and have no problem training my body to get used to weight, but I wanted to make sure I’m not way off here.

If the above is about average for public land hunters – then my next question is on setup tactics. Do you tote it all in day by day or in stages?

One suggestion was to hump the stand out and put in place, then come back the following day for the hunt. There are three issues here: (1) Some public lands won’t allow the stands to remain up beyond a day. (2) I don’t want to go out the next day to discover that someone loved my stand more than I did. (3) Too many trips to the same spot increases the chance of getting busted by a deer.

Another suggestion is to take the stand, protein, and water (leave the backpack in the truck). Hump to your spot then setup/hunt. After you drop Bambi’s daddy - tear down and come back to field dress/drag out.

Like I said, I’m new to this and would appreciate any tips from the seniors on the board.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 05/02/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GCART81
I’m not resource heavy, so I have to hunt on public land. From what I’ve been reading (little experience last year), you have to get deep in the woods when the pressure is on. Also, with some public land – you’re not allowed to leave a stand up overnight. So, here is my problem – weight. My hang-on tree stand, climbing sticks, and other crap (straps, harness, etc.) weigh in at 46#. My backpack (food, water, binos, rangfinder, compass, knife, etc.) comes in at 19#. So, this has me humping 65# – 70# of gear. I’m in good shape, and have no problem training my body to get used to weight, but I wanted to make sure I’m not way off here.

If the above is about average for public land hunters – then my next question is on setup tactics. Do you tote it all in day by day or in stages?

One suggestion was to hump the stand out and put in place, then come back the following day for the hunt. There are three issues here: (1) Some public lands won’t allow the stands to remain up beyond a day. (2) I don’t want to go out the next day to discover that someone loved my stand more than I did. (3) Too many trips to the same spot increases the chance of getting busted by a deer.

Another suggestion is to take the stand, protein, and water (leave the backpack in the truck). Hump to your spot then setup/hunt. After you drop Bambi’s daddy - tear down and come back to field dress/drag out.

Like I said, I’m new to this and would appreciate any tips from the seniors on the board.

you need to buy the right gear if you plan on climbing a tree. An aluminum climber like one of these:

http://treewalkertreestands.com/ ( under 18 pounds)

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/x-stand-ultra-lightweight-climber-tree-stand?a=2073639 ( 12 pounds)

or lone wolf stand and steps:

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Hunt-Ready-Treestand-System__HRS.aspx

And youll need a deer cart most likely for recovering one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...&utm_source=Bing&utm_campaign=CI

You can do the lightweight climber AND deer cart for under $250. The Lone Wolf route is a little more pricier.

You leave the cart in the truck until you need it, or load your stand/pack/gear on it....roll it to where you leave the trail. Hide it in the woods and carry your gear after you hide it. (id lock it with a cable lock BTW to a tree). then carry your stand, pack gun or bow to your tree.

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 05/02/18 04:01 PM

Outdoorobsession - Thanks for the tips and links. I'm sure this will help all the folks trying to crank back up. My stand weighs 19#, but that lightweight climber your posted at 12# has my back applauding. Also, the dual use of a cart (pack-n-hide to the trail) is excellent - didn't even think of that.

Much appreciated!!!
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: Greetings from the newbie! - 05/02/18 08:49 PM

Welcome
© 2024 ALDEER.COM