Aldeer.com

Serious problem.... Updated with Pics

Posted By: top cat

Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 02/16/18 07:03 PM

Met my taxidermist this morning. Picked up a non-typical bul I had killed last season. I was very happy to get my hands on his rack. I paid him, put the buck in the back seat and headed home. Along the way I kept looking in the mirror. Something didn't seem right. I get him out at home and look closer. He used the wrong cape. He died with a multi-colored face and was a beautiful buck. This cape is very dark, black-brown.
He had me send him a pick of my buck before he started the mount because tags had came off a couple of capes. The pic I sent was vey clear and I even told him about how I really liked his look and he agreed.
He said he'd look at his shop for my cape. I want MY cape. He said we'ed work something out. Am I being too picky.

What wout ya'll do...?

I have used him on other deer with no problems and I know mistakes happen, but............
Posted By: Clem

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 07:06 PM

No, you're not being too picky. I'd want mine, especially if it was unique like that.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 07:11 PM

Ask Captjab, he has one that makes him miserable too.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 07:29 PM

Yea id be pissed
Posted By: Hoytdad10

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 07:42 PM

I would want the original cape. Does he still have it or did he put it on a different mount that has been picked up?
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Clem
No, you're not being too picky. I'd want mine, especially if it was unique like that.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 08:03 PM

I would be royally pissed off ...
Posted By: hunter84

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 08:31 PM

Your not being picky, I would want my cape too.
Posted By: bholmes

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 08:32 PM

That would not fly with me either.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket62
I would be royally pissed off ...

Dayum right!! mad
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 09:46 PM

It's happened to me before it does suck. Sometimes what happens people's capes are messed up or freezer burnt and a taxidermist will use one of their capes because it is easier for them and they hope people won't catch it. Only problem with him swapping yours is more than likely he ain't gonna remount your deer because of a cap
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 09:58 PM

I’d want my cape on my deer, especially if it was unique colored deer.

Re: Serious problem - 02/16/18 10:15 PM

He is really sorry and is taking full blame. He sent me a pic of a buck he has finished and is very close the the same color. Said he could swap racks but not pose. Not what I need for his big bladed drop time. If he can't find my cape and do a complete re- mount he will refund all my money. I'm not mad. Mistakes happen. I'd just rather have his cape.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Serious problem - 02/17/18 12:03 AM

I'd be pretty mad. I had a decent t 10 point mounted many years ago and the taxidermist had a freezer failure and lost some capes. He told me mine was ruined but he would supply another cape on his dime if I still wanted him to mount it. I agreed but when I went to pick it up it looked horrible. He had used a cape that had to have come off one of those giant Saskatchewan deer. Mount looks silly. Huge head and neck completely dwarf the horns. I took the mount because I bad agreed to it but it has only ever hung in the shed.

Re: Serious problem - 02/17/18 12:17 AM

The mount looks great. If someone had never saw a kill pic they would never know. However his color would make him way more special. Be the only drop tine 12 point I'll probably ever kill.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Serious problem - 02/17/18 01:32 AM

Hate it’s happened and his owning up to being
Human does not change it . I’m betting you live
With it and every time you look at it you think
About the mess up on the mount instead of
The great day you made the kill.
Hope the deer gods give you another deer!
Posted By: Mudbug01

Re: Serious problem - 02/19/18 12:58 PM

Well that stinks.. But dont feel too bad the only buck I ever paid money to mount was a very nice 14 point I took at 225 yards with a 30/30 so I had to mount him.. it was like 2 things that never happen to me did. Got a great mature buck and killed him over 200 yards with a dang thut thut. I took him to a local guy everyone told me was the guy. Well my luck ran out and so did his. His shop burnt down with my buck. So I guess it could be worse. Lol. Now I just screw the skull to the post on the barn because I don't want to see anyone's place burn down again..
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Serious problem - 02/19/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mbrock
I’d want my cape on my deer, especially if it was unique colored deer.

X2.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: Serious problem - 02/19/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by top cat
He is really sorry and is taking full blame. He sent me a pic of a buck he has finished and is very close the the same color. Said he could swap racks but not pose. Not what I need for his big bladed drop time. If he can't find my cape and do a complete re- mount he will refund all my money. I'm not mad. Mistakes happen. I'd just rather have his cape.

Well it sucks that it happened but it sounds like both of you are handling it well.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Serious problem - 02/20/18 04:15 AM

I wouldn't get my capes mixed up, but if I did, I would have no problem doing a free mount, and then another for a customer as proof of fidelity. You only have one shot at a good name in any business. Once you ruin it, you might as well hang it up.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Serious problem - 02/20/18 04:19 AM

Well let’s see pics of kill and then mount
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: Serious problem - 02/20/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey_neck
Yea id be pissed

Me too! So much that I would have thrown a walmarks receipt at him if I had one handy.

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 12:59 AM

I still cant figure out posting pics. Best I can do...............................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 01:08 AM

Ugh
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 01:23 AM

That's jacked up, I'd be pissed 😡
Posted By: BigEd

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 01:24 AM

Dadgum, i would have the one in the bottom pic mounted also.

From the pics it looks like two different deer to me, except for the rack.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 01:41 AM

That don't even look like the same deer. Your dead buck is beautiful. Aside from the wrong cape, the form he used has a long face and your buck has a short face. I'd be pissed and done with him, after I got my money back.

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 01:43 AM

That buck was 6 years old. Short stubby nose. The mount has a mule head and entirely different colors.
What really gets me. Before a buck has his rack removed your supposed to get base to tip of nose, between eyes and neck measurements to order the correct form. None of that is remotely close. Add to that I sent him the bottom pic before he started. Dam. Dam. Dam.
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 02:21 AM

Well. See what he does to make it right but could be time for a new taxi. Unfortunately, you may never get the right mount out of that one
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 02:26 AM

Not the same cape for sure.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 02:56 AM

Been scratchin' his melon on a cedar. I'd want that cape, too.

Cool buck, Top Cat!
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
Not the same cape for sure.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 03:26 AM

Po'd, refund, and would want my cape back. The colors on yours is more unique than the rack. Are the ears correct angle? Color on your deer ears are unique too.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 03:32 AM

Looks to me he put your horns on an old form so he didn't have any money tied up in one.Definitely not the same cape. He would be remounting it or toting an arse whippin
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 03:49 AM

Spray paint, you will be fine.

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by muzziehead
Spray paint, you will be fine.

Negative
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 04:07 AM

That would not fly with me. The taxidermist needs to search high and low for a new cape that closely matches YOUR deer and remount your animal.
Posted By: garyo

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 12:15 PM

that could well be a once in a life time deer, that mount would be very spec.,he needs to ck his work sheet and get it found ,P.D.Q.
Posted By: Gary08

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 02:15 PM

The mount looks like an old doe head. I’d be pissed.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 04:25 PM

My brother and I killed a 6 and 8pt the same year and we brought both to a guy he knew. His 6 was a much better deer than my 8. When we got them back the antlers were on the wrong mount. My brother didn't end up talking to him about it. Both deer look odd because the neck and head of his looks weird on my smaller rack.
Posted By: blade

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 05:35 PM

Any possibility that the color washed out when they cleaned the cape?
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 07:08 PM

Itd be fix my deer...gimmie my money back..one or the other..or else...
Posted By: bobwallace

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by blade

Even that wouldn't change the length of the nose on the cape mounted vs, the deer TC shot.
Posted By: blade

Re: Serious problem - 02/21/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bobwallace
Originally Posted by blade

Even that wouldn't change the length of the nose on the cape mounted vs, the deer TC shot.

no doubt

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 02:51 AM

Brother that’s fine animal you killed ! Congrats!!
Shame it’s gonna bug you badly until resolved.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 03:14 AM

What sux is that you never trade up in a situation like this. Nobody ever makes a mistake that benefits you. I hate to pour salt on it but i like the deer you killed alot better.
Posted By: Hunter454

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 04:05 AM

What was the name of the taxidermist that you used? If he doesn't find and fix it I would smear his name. This is unavailable and you paid him for a service with shotty work.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 04:28 AM

Ask him if he subs out the fleshing of capes to an outside source. Sounds like that might have been where the mix-up took place.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 02:36 PM

That does not look like the same deer and I would definitely be pissed
Posted By: king

Re: Serious problem - 02/22/18 03:07 PM

the mount is not your deer, no question !!! all you got was his antlers , should have got a European , if you were not going to get his cape.

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/06/18 09:45 PM

He mave have found my cape.. Hope so.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/06/18 09:47 PM

Good luck! Hope he did find it
Posted By: AC870

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/07/18 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by top cat
He mave have found my cape.. Hope so.

Keep us posted. We want to know how it turns out.

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/08/18 10:07 PM

I think it is the correct cape and took it back for a re-mout today. I'll post up the results when I get it back. Thanks for all the input.

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/09/18 01:54 AM

My money is betting you have been professional and patient with the
mount issue and this guy has some skills or you wouldn’t have used him to start with.
I’m betting he makes it right and you Happy!
Posted By: Wade

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/12/18 01:34 AM

TC,

I understand why you want that cape. When I killed this one the cape looked better than the deer. I would have to boot up an old computer to find the field shot but here is the final version. (Or maybe I just thought this deer looked funny when I got it back, like the taxidermist mixed up the cape or something. smile
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wade

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/12/18 01:37 AM

Note the gray around the eye on your kill shot. I thought my taxi messed up the eye until I went back and looked at the field pics.

Re: Serious problem.... Updated with Pics - 03/12/18 08:50 PM

Nice wallpaper Wade thumbup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM