Aldeer.com

South Alabama rut?

Posted By: SVTErikD

South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 11:29 AM

Just wondering how the activity is in the south, headed up to North Baldwin for the weekend of 2/2 and hoping they are running. We usually make it in late January but had to wait this year. Seems like everything was a week later than usual where i hunt in MS so if thats the case they should be starting about now and rutting pretty good come beginning of February. Any reports or do you think thats accurate?
Posted By: Fl_Cracker

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 11:43 AM

They seem to be a lil late here in western Houston county . There still hitting the scrapes so that tells me they aint chasing yet . It was full blown this week last yr .
Posted By: hjgantt

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 11:54 AM

I'll be in Covington County come Friday morning. Anybody seen any activity in that area?
Posted By: High_Voltage

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 12:04 PM

Not really. Scrapes, Rubs, and young bucks trailing. Havent seen any chasing yet, but did see a doe with dark tarsals yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: Huntin' Nole

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 12:21 PM

Near Castleberry, there hasn't been much activity or signs of rutting. We did just have a few scrapes show around food plots this past week though.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 01:04 PM

February 11th should be gold.
Posted By: JayHook

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 01:26 PM

North Baldwin...Feb 2...knock your safety off when you leave the truck...just kidding but for real.
Posted By: Conecuhbuckz4

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 01:26 PM

Few of us saw small bucks chasing does 2 weekends ago around the snow. Then nothing since. Haven't really seen anything else. I'm in conecuh county, northwest of evergreen. Don't know what's up with em. Time will tell

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 01:37 PM

Lol, its usually pretty exciting end of January and early February. Last few years the end of January was fire. Seems like this year from what ive seen might be glad were going a week later.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 02:07 PM

its hot and heavy where I'm at in coffee county. Same as it always is this time of year.
Posted By: ACT3

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 02:22 PM

North Pike County hasn t been hitting on much so far.

**where Im sitting anyway
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 04:56 PM

South Monroe co. We killed 4 bucks in the last 5 days. 3 8pts and a 6pt. 3 of the 4 were alone and just cruising. One was about 5 mins behind 2 does. No chasing yet.
Posted By: bigt

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 05:47 PM

February 3 has been money for me since the extension. Scrapes just started showing up in the past week. Bucks are finally breaking up.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 06:00 PM

They are late in Pike county this year for some reason. A friend of mine killed a nice 10 yesterday just above Troy that was stinking and his neck was starting to swell.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
its hot and heavy where I'm at in coffee county. Same as it always is this time of year.

NOthing happening where we hunt at so far.
Posted By: quailman

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 06:57 PM

I see some of the best rutting activity down here during Turkey season.
Posted By: BuckRidge17

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 09:13 PM

NOthing happening where we hunt at so far. [/quote] Deer already adjusting to the season extension. Lol

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 09:34 PM

Couple years ago I had a buck I ended up killing the next year on camera chasing does in march so I dont expect much
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 09:37 PM

I watched bucks running does like crazy at work this afternoonin Pike County.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/24/18 10:25 PM

We are gonna change that to 5 bucks in 6 days. Another good one went down while checking a scrape on the edge of a plot this afternoon.
Posted By: Smells

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 07:04 AM

I have family in Pensacola. I'm thinking of going down there and hunting Perdido River WMA Feb 2-4. Never hunted it before. Drove out there once to look around last year. What is the usual rut timeline for that area?
Posted By: Fl_Cracker

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 07:48 AM

Should be now smells . Should
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 08:34 AM

When perdido has a hunt on the last few days of January, those always seemed to be the best days when I hunt there. The first few days of February should still be pretty good though. I hunt in north Baldwin county. I think we have a doe on the property that comes in heat early around the 20th. We have been overrun with bucks on that date for the last two years now, then it shuts down for a week. We saw 9 bucks last week on the 20th and 21st. Yesterday and the day before, nuthin.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 09:28 AM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr
When perdido has a hunt on the last few days of January, those always seemed to be the best days when I hunt there. The first few days of February should still be pretty good though. I hunt in north Baldwin county. I think we have a doe on the property that comes in heat early around the 20th. We have been overrun with bucks on that date for the last two years now, then it shuts down for a week. We saw 9 bucks last week on the 20th and 21st. Yesterday and the day before, nuthin.

Sounds like the peak of your rut just happened. They were looking and found now they breeding.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr

Hoping they pick back up next week. When we used to go regularly itvwas like a light switch from Jan 15th through turkey season. Back then the gun season ended on 1/31 and we saw a lot of deer, but sometimes missed the hard rut. Now we try to get there for either the last weekend in January or first weekend in February. Usually have a good bit of chasing action but sometimes better than others.
Posted By: Mudbug01

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/25/18 02:30 PM

Every year on my place on February 2-4thI've killed or seen good bucks. For some reason Feb 4th they are always in the swamp behind my house running around chasing the does that live here in full on mode . I found my first scrape 3 days ago..
Posted By: subtlevibe

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/27/18 06:38 PM

yall missed it already
Posted By: Idahomike

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/27/18 07:20 PM

All the hunters have told me the rut is late this year?
Posted By: bill

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/27/18 07:21 PM

It's on in Crenshaw and Butler right now

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/27/18 07:23 PM

Tracked a buck last nite in Ashland,he had been chasing so much he was all boney.hips sticking out,backbone poking out.poor guy was about rutted to death.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 03:29 AM

Craziest looking dang rut I have ever seen. I don't think they are full on yet in Pike county.
Posted By: Farmer64

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 03:38 AM

Coffee county not happing yet. Haven't seen any sign's.
Posted By: Bull64

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Farmer64
Coffee county not happing yet. Haven't seen any sign's.

Headed that way tomorrow.They about to start
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 03:58 AM

I got an 8 pt today that was chasing a doe with another buck in Conecuh County and had another young 3 pt chasing two does back and forth.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 04:04 AM

Here around the house they are wide open. I saw a stud and couldn't get a shot and killed a nice seven point in the pouring rain. I saw five different bucks this afternoon
Posted By: ACT3

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Craziest looking dang rut I have ever seen. I don't think they are full on yet in Pike county.

I agree. I’ve seen a couple bucks cruising but no chasing or even harassing yet.
Posted By: wew3006

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 01:43 PM

Wide open in Wilcox, 9 bucks in day and a half, chasing, tending, trailing, grunting
Need the right one to show up and stand still for just a moment. Killing me to have to go home today
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 05:41 PM

I’ve see chasing the last 3 times I’ve hunted in Western Henry Co. Killed a big 7 a couple weeks ago that was stinking like hell. It’s on.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 09:32 PM

Looking like it should still be pretty good this upcoming weekend! Can’t wait!

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/28/18 09:42 PM

I'm about tired of all this rain
Posted By: hosscat

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/29/18 03:19 PM

Pike Co. and Crenshaw Co. is pretty good right now. As long as you find the right doe there will be a buck with her.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/29/18 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I’ve see chasing the last 3 times I’ve hunted in Western Henry Co. Killed a big 7 a couple weeks ago that was stinking like hell. It’s on.

Amend that to 4 times. Saw chasing yesterday afternoon. Hope to see more this afternoon.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/29/18 10:15 PM

Dang chris I wish I can go. Cant go until Saturday afternoon
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/29/18 10:58 PM

The best indicator of the rut to me, is watching the young bucks. They'll tell ya exactly what's going on. Of course you gotta quit blasting them when they step out, lol.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/29/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by goodman_hunter
The best indicator of the rut to me, is watching the young bucks. They'll tell ya exactly what's going on. Of course you gotta quit blasting them when they step out, lol.

Lol guilty as charged sometimes!
Posted By: booner

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/30/18 12:42 AM

Been on at our place outside of pine apple. I killed a two mature 8pts this past week. Probably seen about 30 different bucks from Wednesday - Sunday.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/30/18 01:23 AM

Still slow in Mobile County.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 01/30/18 02:07 AM

Just heard the young ones are really responding to “the can” and the mature ones are starting a little. This is a good sign, should be ramped up this weekend i hope! This is in North Baldwin.

Re: South Alabama rut? - 02/03/18 02:34 PM

It's definitely on and popping! We have killed two bucks in the last three days on the club and missed a third. We haven't shot a buck since opening week up till now.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM