Aldeer.com

Doe selection

Posted By: Carlos

Doe selection - 01/16/18 10:32 PM

Some have stated that their preferred buck to harvest is an old buck. When selecting a doe, does the same criteria apply? Typically for me its been if she has young deer with her.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Doe selection - 01/16/18 10:56 PM

gun gun
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Doe selection - 01/16/18 11:23 PM

Young doe or oldest possible. I do not want to shoot one who had fawns the year I shoot her as she will likely have more next yr. If one comes out with a group who seems to have 0 to do with the young ones she wins the bullet
Posted By: Carlos

Re: Doe selection - 01/16/18 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
gun gun

So...If its brown its down(without antlers)?

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 08:28 AM

A doe is a doe. If a wad of them walk out I generally pick the largest one but it really doesn’t matter.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:11 AM

I pick the one that looks the mostly likely to stand in the woods and blow for 30 minutes.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:14 AM

I usually just pick the biggest one in the group.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:17 AM

A doe is the best bait in the world. I havn't shot one in 7 or 8 years.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:18 AM

I pick the ones that are the easiest to get to and load up.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:18 AM

Just like when I was single, I usually pick the one that gives me the best shot to take her home.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84

Winner!
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
I pick the one that looks the mostly likely to stand in the woods and blow for 30 minutes.

This!
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: jwillinfl
Just like when I was single, I usually pick the one that gives me the best shot to take her home.

I like it
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:15 AM

I prefer the one that's standing in the road.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:17 AM

It depends on what your management objective is. If you are trying to decrease the herd, which is a situation we have been in in the past, you want to shoot the young ones because over their lifespan they will produce more offspring and eat up more food (as will their offspring) than an older doe.

If you would like more deer, shoot the oldest doe because they are closer to being barren, if not already, and therefore not contributing anything to the population. In fact all they do is eat up food that could be feeding younger deer.

If you are content with where your objectives are, like we are now pretty much, shoot the one that looks the tastiest. In other words, the one most likely to drop in its tracks and not taint the meat from lactic acid from an adrenalin rush and running off.
Posted By: king

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:19 AM

I like what " jwillinfl " said !!!
Posted By: Mowens

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:24 AM

I go for the singles. If she's got a baby she's off limits.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:32 AM

Jawbone at what age do they become barren? I would think that most does die well before this happens.
We were talking about this the other day and my thoughts were, other than the meat factor, the best doe to shoot would be a young one since it will be a while before she produces where an older doe may already be carrying a young buck.
Posted By: BibbCounty

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:34 AM

A doe is a doe. If a wad of them walk out I generally pick the largest one but it really doesn’t matter.
I wish I could ride you around in the truck to say this to people all day long. I have hunted two places that wanted to fine you for killing a doe under 100 or 120lbs. I argued until I was red in the face that if you are killing a doe what difference does it make! Obviously I want to kill a bigger one if I can because i get more meat, but getting out a $100 when I roll up with a 95 lber was ludicrous. I dont hunt at either one of those places anymore.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:37 AM

The first one that presents a good shot opportunity and will have easy access for an atv/utv. I hate dragging a doe.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: jwillinfl

rofl

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 12:46 PM

There’s no evidence they reach an age in which they become barren. If they’re alive in the wild they can and still reproduce. I’ve seen no higher of a percentage of older does without fawns as I have younger ones. There are barren does, but age is not what put them there.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 12:57 PM

doe trap equals 100 dollars
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 12:58 PM

Thanks MB.

So what are your thoughts on which one is best to take out and why?
Posted By: bigt

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:17 PM

I don’t shoot does ,but I encourage my members to not shoot any with fawns for sure.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

+1

I stopped thinning does a long time ago due to coyote problem, but when I shoot a doe for the freezer I always try to take the lead spotter doe. They are usually the bigger older one, and with processor fees being ridiculous now it only makes sense to shoot the biggest doe(s).
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:24 PM

I dont shoot does with fawns. I also look for a pair of does and pick the biggest (eliminates possibility of a button buck). Also I look for the easiest one to get it and get out of there. Im not shooting a nanny way back where I have to drag her a good ways. You can put yourself in much more enjoyable scenarios.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:24 PM

I ask the question at a QDMA meeting about 15 years ago, "if a big doe and two doe yearlings walk out which one should you shoot", he said "shoot all three". I didn't buy into that statement, and I think I was right.

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Strictlybow
Thanks MB.

So what are your thoughts on which one is best to take out and why?

A doe is a doe. Their ages are not as important in the social structure as bucks. In bow season I typically choose one that appears to not have fawns, or one who’s fawns have lost spots. They’ll be fine if they’ve lost spots. In rifle season I shoot the first one to act like she’s trying to figure me out, or like others have said, the easiest to load.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:38 PM

Quote:

This, yes. I don't care if it's old or young, has others with it, whatever. But I'll try to pick the largest if possible.

And yes I'll shoot a doe that has yearlings with it. Fawns with spots? No. Anything else is fair game IF the property I'm on needs any of them killed.
Posted By: ford150man

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 01:55 PM

I always pick the biggest one in order to get the most meat.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 02:00 PM

The one that is easiest to load in truck.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 03:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the oldest doe killed in Al. was 19.5 and had a fawn that year.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
I ask the question at a QDMA meeting about 15 years ago, "if a big doe and two doe yearlings walk out which one should you shoot", he said "shoot all three". I didn't buy into that statement, and I think I was right.
Absolutely you were right!! That statement was ridiculous. The old timers used to tell us not to shoot the does because they are what has the bucks. True that.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 05:47 PM

I usually go for the biggest one unless another blows. I have a longstanding non-negotiable rule of if she blows she dies when it comes to doe killing
Posted By: ZS81

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 11:08 PM

Can't remember, been so long since I've seen one. gun
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 11:18 PM

what i would do when we could kill two a day . drop her then wait till her daughter or sister came back . lol
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 11:27 PM

I wont shoot a doe but if i did she would be the thickest girl in the bunch. Now my wimmins i like thin
Posted By: jallencrockett

Re: Doe selection - 01/17/18 11:46 PM

Have a buddy who just shot doe #8 or 9 today. All registered. I wonder what is the most registered on game check. Dude is that much of a carnivore and will eat them all. The last 4 in 4 days have been about 120 pound barren does. With long fur absent of milk bag.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 12:32 AM

What are the ages on those four does, jallen? Does he yank the jawbone to age them?
Posted By: Luke Stepp

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 12:59 AM

My preference is the oldest doe I can see while I'm in the woods, because those old one will bust you in a flash and blow forever, which can ruin a hunt.

I hunt with a guy who always shoots a doe with two yearlings. He claims the percentages are that one of the yearlings will be a buck, and killing the doe mama will keep the yearling buck closer to the ground he hunts.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 01:10 AM

Clem, its his land and he is seeing about 30 does on 2 acres of a 40 he owns.
dry doe
https://imgur.com/a/oD6Dw

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 01:13 AM

Close up of above dry doe
https://imgur.com/a/mDmQZ
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 07:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Originally Posted By: Bowhunter84

Winner!

Yep! This man has wisdom way beyond his years.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: jallencrockett
Have a buddy who just shot doe #8 or 9 today. All registered. I wonder what is the most registered on game check. Dude is that much of a carnivore and will eat them all. The last 4 in 4 days have been about 120 pound barren does. With long fur absent of milk bag.

I don't care how many does your buddy kills. Just glad I don't hunt next to him. But there really is no such thing as old barren does. There will some old and young that may have lost there baby this year. But no such thing as to old, they will have babies untill they die.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 09:14 AM

I would think its more likely that they lost their fawns early on rather than being "barren".
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 09:47 AM

Young doe, you want the older more established does to stay on you.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 10:31 AM

Barren was his wording not mine. I have a small tract perhaps one mile from where he is. I routinely see 10 to 20 does on 9 acres (80 percent of trips). I have never seen a rack buck in 8 years on property. So there is something crazy with doe numbers in area.

It is unique that the largest deer were the ones that lost fawns? Seems they would have had the preferred bedding area???

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 10:34 AM

If you really indeed had that many “barren” does on your property that weren’t having fawns at all….. then I would look to that as a sign of poor health and/or over population for the amount of food present. I bet its more likely you just have a bunch of yotes though. It’s also possible that it’s a little of both….. the does had one fawn and it was killed.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 10:42 AM

Barren was his wording not mine. I have a small tract perhaps one mile from where he is. I routinely see 10 to 20 does on 9 acres (80 percent of trips). I have never seen a rack buck in 8 years on property. So there is something crazy with doe numbers in area.

It is unique that the largest deer were the ones that lost fawns? Seems they would have had the preferred bedding area???

If there’s a lack of bucks and that many does without fawns it sounds like a sex ratio problem to me. Could it be coyotes? Possibly. But if you’re seeing that many deer without fawns and very few bucks, they they are not getting bred.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 10:52 AM

Matt makes a good point too….Maybe there’s a hunting club beside you hammering every buck in the woods……..
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 11:02 AM

Sounds like coyotes eating the fawns

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 11:20 AM

Well this is a rural little lot area with many small tracts. My guess is that the vast majority of bucks are getting shot over corn by every other homeowner in the area. But on my area all of the deer have twins typically.

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 09:03 PM

Well this is a rural little lot area with many small tracts. My guess is that the vast majority of bucks are getting shot over corn by every other homeowner in the area. But on my area all of the deer have twins typically.

That is exactly the way it is where I live. Everybody owns 10-40 acres and they kill everything with a horn and most of the ones without. I have 40 acres and it ain't worth hunting. I have run cameras over a corn feeder for 10 years and have got a picture of one mature buck in that 10 years, and I only had one picture of him at 2:30 in the morning at the end of Jan which is the rut here.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Doe selection - 01/18/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: hunterbuck
I prefer the one that's standing in the road.

Amen. I don't shoot them often, but when I do, they're gonna have at least one hoof on a club road, in a field or on a 4 wheeler trail.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM