Aldeer.com

Found new spot!

Posted By: blahblahblah

Found new spot! - 01/15/18 09:43 PM

We have two creeks that split from one another. I was walking the creek to the split which is swampy and in the fork is 10-15 year old pines. Inside the pines are scrapes and hooks all over and also in the creek bottoms wherever there are dry spots. I felt like I needed to back out quickly from the pines. My thinking is to get up on the hill above the creek bottoms where I can see the majority of the forks, but won't be able to see into the pines. I feel like hunting the openings is safer than going up in the thicket. What say you?
Posted By: Bama Bob

Re: Found new spot! - 01/15/18 10:07 PM

Sounds like a good plan, too many guys try to get too close and get winded. How big an area do the pines cover, can you see around the edge well?
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Found new spot! - 01/16/18 09:28 AM

I can see the point and about 50 or so yards down one side and about all of the other side. The pines are about 5 acres tapering off to natural growth at the property line.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Found new spot! - 01/16/18 09:38 AM

Sounds like a good plan. Since you can't see too far on the one side I'd do a very short and noninvasive scout around it. If you're buck hunting I'd look for a faint trail heading into the pines. Or even some big tracks around the creek. Set up on it a little off the fork with a good wind and see what happens. 5 acres is plenty of enough room for a smart buck to get in and out of undetected. Good luck!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM