Aldeer.com

Thick pine trees

Posted By: Johnathan

Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 09:21 PM

I was going to see if anyone had any tips on hunting in thick pine trees. Seems like they're always full of bushes and honeysuckle vines can't see 10 foot.
Posted By: tiger1432

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 09:38 PM

edges would me my idea
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 09:41 PM

go up, up, up.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 09:43 PM

Worth the watch. This guy is entertaining. All the shooting starts at about 1:20. It's even got slo mo for you.

The Stick Trick
Posted By: ZS81

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: bambam32

Worth the watch. This guy is entertaining. All the shooting starts at about 1:20. It's even got slo mo for you.

The Stick Trick

I may have to hoop me a log over in some pines and give this a try!
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 10:14 PM

It depends on the age of the trees. If its a plantation and the trees are too small to climb, I like to still hunt them. They bed in them and on windy drizzly days you can walk thru them and actually walk up on a group of deer bedded together. I carry a shotgun with buckshot when I try this.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/12/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
It depends on the age of the trees. If its a plantation and the trees are too small to climb, I like to still hunt them. They bed in them and on windy drizzly days you can walk thru them and actually walk up on a group of deer bedded together. I carry a shotgun with buckshot when I try this.

I don't think you are on the same page as to THICK pines. We have 400 acres worth that are so thick you can't walk thru them at all, I've tried. It's bad enough that I shot a doe with a bow this year and she went 40 yards, it took me 20 minutes to get in there and over an hour to get her out.

Our were planted in 06 and haven't been thinned or burned yet
Posted By: Woodsman8

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/13/18 12:12 AM

If there is an interior road through the pines or on the edge of the block of the pine thicket then hunt the road (if your talking about gun hunting). The deer are going in and out of the pine thicket somewhere, you will just have to burn some boot leather to find out where. good luck!
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Thick pine trees - 01/13/18 11:55 AM

Sometimes you can climb and see into them, sometimes a ground blind and see under/through them. Either way set up on the down wind side where you can see as many trails as possible. Bucks will work that side and scent check the whole thicket for does. As always, watch how you enter and exit your stand.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM