Aldeer.com

This afternoon: Cold/Wind

Posted By: 3FFarms

This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:39 PM

Worth it? Obviously can't kill them at the house (or office). Would have liked to have been there this morning right after the rain but wasn't able to. What do all the killers think they'll do with this strong N wind today?
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:43 PM

Absolutely worth it if you can find a good spot facing south and shielded from the wind
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:44 PM

Saw 3 small rack bucks about an hour ago. Been getting cell camera pics of does all day. (Different location and wind is wrong to hunt it) and the wind is howling here
Posted By: jbc

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket62
Absolutely worth it if you can find a good spot facing south and shielded from the wind

I assume you are still hunting to the North though?

otherwise I'm not feelin your plan
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:45 PM

I've been under the impression that a large change in temps is just as important as how cold it actually gets. In other words, 70 degrees to 35 (35 degree change) could be just as good as 40 to 25 (15 degree change). In this case we're going from 70 to 25 very quickly in some places. I hope to do a short sit this evening. That said, I'm not a killer. laugh
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jbc
Originally Posted By: Rocket62

I assume you are still hunting to the North though?

otherwise I'm not feelin your plan

Absolutely. I've found that when the wind is strong that I see more deer in a sheltered area. Particularly when it's cold and even more particularly when its cold and sunny
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:28 PM

Go hunting today. It ranks about a 9 out of 10 days to be in the woods. Should be there right now.

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
Go hunting today. It ranks about a 9 out of 10 days to be in the woods. Should be there right now.

What makes a 10 out of 10?

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:33 PM

Rub it in why don't you? grin
Posted By: joshm28

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:43 PM

Just checked my 7 year old out. We are heading to a shooting house shortly. Maybe it will be good.

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: joshm28
Just checked my 7 year old out. We are heading to a shooting house shortly. Maybe it will be good.

I'm about to go check mine out too.
Posted By: ivanwright

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
Originally Posted By: joshm28

I'm about to go check mine out too.

Aw man... y'all saying this got me excited to do this one day! My 2 sons & daughter just turned 1 last week smile

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:59 PM

What makes a 10 out of 10?

If the sun was out it’d be a 10.

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 01:59 PM

LOL at Josh and Joe. I don't even try to hide it any more. On the check out form I just write "gone hunting" and turn it in.

The ladies in the office and the boys' teachers know to expect me on days like today. smile

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms

Rub it in why don't you? grin

I’m trying to provoke as many ppl to go as possible so I can see what all y’all kill. grin
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 02:22 PM

It's one of those days where it probably has little to no effect on the deer, I just ain't going because I don't enjoy hunting in the wind, and dang sure don't care to hunt in the rain.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 02:24 PM

LOL at Josh and Joe. I don't even try to hide it any more. On the check out form I just write "gone hunting" and turn it in.

The ladies in the office and the boys' teachers know to expect me on days like today. smile

I walked into Ian's classroom and his teacher said "y'all going hunting?, walked to front desk and the lady said "y'all going hunting?"

I think then know me and yes I wrote hunting on the checkout form.
Posted By: jono23

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 02:30 PM

Someone come check me out of work.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 02:42 PM

Heading to Bullock county now. Hope I don't get blown out of the tree.

Dr. B
Posted By: Recurve

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: jono23
Someone come check me out of work.
Posted By: paulfish4570

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:06 PM

if i could, i sure enough would.
Posted By: grundan

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:08 PM

I just got settled in, sitting on the north side of a big wash, looking to the s.e
Left the tree stand, got in some cedars and limestones tucked out of the winds a little. Good luck
Posted By: Recurve

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:10 PM

I’m still somewhat motivated but given I’ve put 230+ hours in a stand this season, with the wind blowing so hard and my pretty wife at home, I’m starting to get a little less motivated. Of course 2 weeks after season is over I’ll have the itch again.

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:26 PM

I’m not that bold yet. Just put “road trip” down for Hayden.
Posted By: jbc

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:29 PM

I’m not that bold yet. Just put “road trip” down for Hayden.

"outdoor learning experience"
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:39 PM

friend of mine saw 11 does mid morning today
Posted By: MCW

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:59 PM

Saw 8 does/yearlings, 1spike, and a borderline shootable 7 point this morning. At it again this pm.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 03:59 PM

I don't guess you are going since your truck was still parked at your office about 20 min ago.

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 08:09 PM

We saw 4 or 5 enter the field a little after 5, but got busted with my son trying to get the gun in position for a shot. Good start to a long weekend.
Posted By: inatree

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 08:54 PM

Thinking in the morning ought to be really good. To bad the grandaughter oldest has a softball camp tomorrow. But on the bright side the 9 year old is with her other grandfather and going tomorrow. Maybe I can get out there Sunday.
Posted By: jake44

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/12/18 08:55 PM

Killed a small 9 point at 9:10 this morning, he was cruising through after the rain
Posted By: CAL

Re: This afternoon: Cold/Wind - 01/13/18 06:33 AM

Yesterday afternoon was one of the best hunts I’ve ever experienced. Chasing was insane.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM