Aldeer.com

The Perfect Storm

Posted By: mcninja

The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 03:48 PM

End of the week should be a friggin dynamite time to be in the woods. Mid January is prime time for our place. Throw in 2-3 days of rain and temps dropping rapidly, and Friday afternoon/Saturday should be the golden window to be in the woods. I'm gonna be sure to be out there when the rain subsides, if not slightly before.
Posted By: 7x57_Mauser

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 04:20 PM

I knew I didn't schedule any classes on Friday's for a reason. I'll most likely be hunting BNF. Good luck!
Posted By: Phil_Army

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 04:32 PM

I can't wait to be in the woods and see ZERO deer during prime conditions. I'll look forward to it all week..
Posted By: Grant_UAB

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Phil_Army
I can't wait to be in the woods and see ZERO deer during prime conditions. I'll look forward to it all week..

You must be having the same type of season as I am.

I am going to kill whatever I see next, without question, unless its a spike.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Grant_UAB

I've never gone this late into a season and not have a mature buck encounter. Haven't seen one even from a distance, not even driving in or out in the dark. I've never seen anything like it

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 04:56 PM

I've never gone this late into a season and not have a mature buck encounter. Haven't seen one even from a distance, not even driving in or out in the dark. I've never seen anything like it

I feel your pain. Everyone that hunts around my area is seeing and killing deer. I have literally only seen a fork horn buck with one side snapped off all year, other than that I've seen does with no sign of a buck around.

I don't even get excited about trail cam pics or fresh rubs anymore.
Posted By: dquick1

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 05:16 PM

I have jumped one deer this year. Saw its tail. Worst year for me.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dquick1
I have jumped one deer this year. Saw its tail. Worst year for me.

I have been busted by three separate does this year too, just bad wind management. I keep thinking they're coming in from one way, and they come from the other.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 07:04 PM

Its bad here in northern Marshall and southeastern Madison county too. I've literally seen 5 deer all season and they were all on the same hunt.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 07:14 PM

By far the worst in limestone co that's been in a long time. Hard to see deer that are dead a few months ago
Posted By: CNC

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 07:29 PM

Maybe y'all are just bad hunters.... grin
Posted By: centralala

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 07:51 PM

Can't complain on quantity or quality I've seen. I have seen WAY less run over if that counts for anything.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
By far the worst in limestone co that's been in a long time. Hard to see deer that are dead a few months ago

Man Matt, I hate that for you. I know you worked hard to manage your herd.

Real slow for me in Marion Cty. Used to seeing a lot more where I hunt.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: CNC

It’s crossed my mind lol
Posted By: pcamper

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 09:01 PM

X2
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 09:58 PM

It’s crossed my mind lol

I thought my property was having a bad year since I hadn't seen a shooter all year. I let a buddy hunt my place while he was house sitting for me and killed 2 bucks in 3 days hunting out of my loc ons. He said "you must move too much"

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10

It’s crossed my mind lol

I thought my property was having a bad year since I hadn't seen a shooter all year. I let a buddy hunt my place while he was house sitting for me and killed 2 bucks in 3 days hunting out of my loc ons. He said "you must move too much"

Damn!

I’ve been questioning myself I can’t deny. I have been thinking about what I’ve changed in my routine since last year.

I just haven’t been in the right place at the right time yet.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 10:23 PM

Taking 2 afternoons off on the 16th and 19th. Hoping they be moving.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: mcninja
End of the week should be a friggin dynamite time to be in the woods. Mid January is prime time for our place. Throw in 2-3 days of rain and temps dropping rapidly, and Friday afternoon/Saturday should be the golden window to be in the woods. I'm gonna be sure to be out there when the rain subsides, if not slightly before.

I agree, if the forecast holds true then Sat - Mon ought to be awesome. Sure hope so.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/08/18 11:42 PM

WHNT 19 is saying the wind Sat will be NW 25-35 mph. Gonna make for some rough sits.
Posted By: BamaStrapAssassi

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/09/18 01:23 AM

I just made it back to tuscaloosa but I may take a trip back home to bow hunt a little spot for some meat in Madison county unless my buddies try to drag me to oakmulgee.
Posted By: Snowman257wby

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/09/18 01:42 AM

Same type as me but i wont be shooting whatever
Posted By: deerfeeder89

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/09/18 12:12 PM

I'll be on vacation in Gatlinburg this weekend and thought we was coming back Sunday and was going to hunt Monday before I had to be back at work Tuesday. I got informed last night that we'll be returning Monday evening. Pissed on my parade

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 09:08 AM

Shaping up for perfect timing tomorrow. I'll probably work a short day and cut out 11ish and slip in quiet around noonish and sit til dark.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 09:28 AM

VERY tempted to call in sick tomorrow if it wasn't for this audit all this week.
Posted By: Shaneomac2

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: centralala
Can't complain on quantity or quality I've seen. I have seen WAY less run over if that counts for anything.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder89
I'll be on vacation in Gatlinburg this weekend and thought we was coming back Sunday and was going to hunt Monday before I had to be back at work Tuesday. I got informed last night that we'll be returning Monday evening. Pissed on my parade

NEVER plan vacation in hunting season especially around the rut. I thought all serious hunters knew that.
Posted By: Snowman257wby

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 10:58 AM

On there feet today that for sure

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

NEVER plan vacation in hunting season especially around the rut. I thought all serious hunters knew that.

Well I usually never do. But the wife and our friends wife don't always cooperate with mine and his plans of hunting. I'll try and makeup for it the following weekend
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 11:53 AM

Well I usually never do. But the wife and our friends wife don't always cooperate with mine and his plans of hunting. I'll try and makeup for it the following weekend

You need a discreet attorney.
Posted By: CNC

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 12:18 PM

This weekend is gonna be off the chain.....There should be a lotta bucks get kilt.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors

You need a discreet attorney.

Not yet but its be nice to have him stand by discreetly
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/11/18 07:52 PM

Aint had a problem seeing deer and killing bucks this season on public land. Prolly my better season to date on pub land

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/12/18 08:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Dkhargroves
Aint had a problem seeing deer and killing bucks this season on public land. Prolly my better season to date on pub land

I haven't seen huge numbers but I've consistently seen at least 1-2 most sits, so I can't complain. They should be up and moving today.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/12/18 09:35 AM

Dark and wet here on Brindlee Mountain right now. I think it'll be good today.
Posted By: RedneckNinji

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/12/18 10:34 AM

With this weather rolling in and the moon phase I think tomorrow morning is going to be a great day. I haven't checked cameras in over a week but I've studied my daytime buck pics from the last 3 years and looks like rut should be on in my area.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/12/18 04:10 PM

Finally settled in watching an old overgrown logging road covered up with tracks and rubs, etc. Took forever to get away from the office but this feels like a good spot and a great day.

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/13/18 09:36 PM

Perfect weather conditions, but not a single deer sighting. Scratch that, one jumped across the road near the sign-in shed on the way out after dark. I'm taking my dad tomorrow and that will probably be it for this season, I've had enough

Re: The Perfect Storm - 01/13/18 10:37 PM

Perfect weather conditions, but not a single deer sighting. Scratch that, one jumped across the road near the sign-in shed on the way out after dark. I'm taking my dad tomorrow and that will probably be it for this season, I've had enough

I’m with you Phil. I jumped one going in this morning and jumped 3 coming out. Not a single deer this afternoon. I can’t decide if it’s this new lease or if it’s me!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM