Aldeer.com

Cedar Creek SOA

Posted By: nomercy

Cedar Creek SOA - 12/06/17 11:31 PM

Got invited to be a guest on a buddy’s draw for this SOA. Tomorrow looks nasty after noon which is when we can enter the area. I’m thinking of puttin my nose in the wind and stalking/scouting til dark. Find a good place or two to set up Friday. Friday looks like crap til after noon. I’m thinking some good scouting will pay off Friday after the snow/rain. If we kill a buck it should be nice. Restrictions are 20”mains or 16” inside.
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 06:54 AM

Good luck! That's a great creek bottom. Be careful driving through there after dark that stretch of 41 turns into a zoo ! make sure you bring your tape measure and dart gun so you can weed through the bucks with 19" main beams...
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 06:57 AM

Update with how it goes. I put in for a hunt there but didn’t get drawn
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 07:19 AM

whats the best way to field judge main beam length?

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 07:21 AM

I keep y’all posted. I am a little nervous about judging one that quickly to meet the criteria for shooting. I’ll whistle and tell him to freeze for a second so I can get a good look!!
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 08:26 AM

16" inside is about ear tip to ear tip when flared out.

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 08:45 AM

Just make sure they are outside the ears and you should be fine

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 08:54 AM

I know. Just hard to do sometimes in the woods and if they are moving along. I’ve never screwed that up before but I’ve also never had a GW meeting me at the gate before a hunt to ensure I know the rules
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 10:07 AM

If you see one of those good god almighty bucks shoot. If you have to question it I wouldn't shoot

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/07/17 10:51 PM

Well..... it started at noon. Got in the woods about one. It was wet....then it was wet and cold. Zero deer seen by me. Mostly scouted. Some seriously STEEP gullies and banks in our area. Think I found a good spot for tomorrow. Rain rain go away!!

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/11/17 11:01 PM

Well? Guess it didn’t end well huh?

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/11/17 11:39 PM

Haha. It was fun....I think! We got in the woods around 10am Friday. Neither one of us saw a deer. Nobody signed in shot. Don’t think they moved much while all the white stuff was falling. It was a pretty good time all in all and glad I got to go. Looks like some great deer habitat and I found some of the largest trees rubbed up I’ve ever seen done that way.
Saturday my friend took his brother. He ended up shooting a doe. He saw a 4pt and also a nice shooter the GW had told us to look for. He is very inexperienced and didn’t want to make a mistake in shooting something too small.
We had a good time and we froze and got really wet but I’d do it again!
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/12/17 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: nomercy
Haha. It was fun....I think! We got in the woods around 10am Friday. Neither one of us saw a deer. Nobody signed in shot. Don’t think they moved much while all the white stuff was falling. It was a pretty good time all in all and glad I got to go. Looks like some great deer habitat and I found some of the largest trees rubbed up I’ve ever seen done that way.
Saturday my friend took his brother. He ended up shooting a doe. He saw a 4pt and also a nice shooter the GW had told us to look for. He is very inexperienced and didn’t want to make a mistake in shooting something too small.
well dang! I was right down the road from ceder creek during the ice storm a few years ago and they shut down for 3 days
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/12/17 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: nomercy

I hate that for you. There are some really good numbers in that area and to me it's a very easy area to hunt and see deer.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Cedar Creek SOA - 12/12/17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: johndeere5036
If you see one of those good god almighty bucks shoot. If you have to question it I wouldn't shoot

That is exactly what I tell our guests. If you have to debate whether it is a shooter or not, it isn't.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM