Aldeer.com

Loc on stands and rifle hunting?

Posted By: having fun now

Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 04:15 PM

[b][/b]When using a loc on for rifle hunting does anyone use a shooting stick for shots out to 300 yds? If so what are some recommendations. Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 06:20 PM

I have. I just get the cheap walmarts adjustable shooting stick. It has a small wrist strap that you can hang it from a hook with.

I also duct tape a piece of material ( I used a sock) around the bottom so it doesnt make any noise when using it.

I use it walking in extended to my walking shooting stick length in case I see one on my way in and out as it makes an offhand shot really steady.

They I close it down, poke it into my backpack and when In the stand, I adjust to to the height Ill need and hang it on a hook. Ready instantly if I need it.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 06:33 PM

I use a primos shooting stick. One of the short ones.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 07:17 PM

Personally, I don't like shooting sticks. If I'm gonna be presented with a long shot, then I screw in a Realtree EZ Hanger to use as a support. This has worked well for me in climbers, as well.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 07:35 PM

I use the primos shooting stick and slide it down the inside of my boot. That way I don't have to worry about it making noise or sliding through platform opening when trying to position it.

A buddy of mine bought some nice shooting rails to put around his loc-ons this fall. I think he got them from Academy or Cabela's. The floded up out of the way for entering and exiting the stand and were solid. Pretty nice rails in my opinion.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Personally, I don't like shooting sticks. If I'm gonna be presented with a long shot, then I screw in a Realtree EZ Hanger to use as a support. This has worked well for me in climbers, as well.

That's what I do if I'm in a climber that can face the tree. If not, then I use my shooting stick like squeaky is talking about
Posted By: Squadron77

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 07:52 PM

I just cut a small tree or a limb and trim the end to fit in the grate on the platform of the stand.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 08:20 PM

Warren womack made one out of pvc pipe that strapped to your knee especially for loc ons. Mighty fine apparatus. You can see it on is gear video on tha youtube
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 08:40 PM

You need a Horton knee pod.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors
You need a Horton knee pod.
hey thats it..i thought the sucker was homemade..now i want one if i aint gotta makeit
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 10:24 PM

One time a while back someone posted something pretty neat. It was like a fabric sling/loop that hung off a pivoting cantilevered rod. I’m not explaining it very well, but if that description jobs anyone’s memory please post a link
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: M48scout
One time a while back someone posted something pretty neat. It was like a fabric sling/loop that hung off a pivoting cantilevered rod. I’m not explaining it very well, but if that description jobs anyone’s memory please post a link

https://theskyrest.com

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tree-Stand-Gun-Rest-Shooting-Rest-Rifle-Rest-/281865395491
Posted By: btfl

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 10:44 PM

If you hunt it of a millennium stand, they make a shooting stick that connects to it.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/05/17 10:51 PM

This is pretty neat.
http://www.hipstickrest.com/hip-stick.html
Posted By: having fun now

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/06/17 08:37 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Got several to check out. Some pretty neat looking ideas.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/06/17 09:10 AM

I like a fold up shooting rail

[img:center]https://imgur.com/gallery/oFDLw[/img]
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/06/17 11:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

That's what I do if I'm in a climber that can face the tree. If not, then I use my shooting stick like squeaky is talking about

for super long shots, i've gotten setup with the rifle on the seat of the loc-on before (wearing a harness of course) ... i don't use shooting sticks at all in a loc-on, but then again, i'm not generally making 300+ yd shots either
Posted By: Thirdhandman

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/06/17 02:57 PM

Hip Stick is a good product made in Kentucky. Works for gun and crossbow. Priced right.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Loc on stands and rifle hunting? - 12/06/17 07:05 PM

I have several that have 2 pieces of square tubing welded on the front of the platform as brackets . I have a horse shoe shaped rail on 2 legs that slip into those brackets. The rail can be removed for bow hunting. Works mighty fine.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM