Aldeer.com

Affordable Taxidermist

Posted By: CDHunter

Affordable Taxidermist - 11/17/17 08:46 PM

Anyone know a quality whitetail taxidermist at an affordable rate?
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 08:49 PM

Lol
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 08:51 PM

Does this need to be discreet?
Posted By: CCC

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 08:55 PM

That's like asking if there are any "hot fat girls". I think you get what you pay for in taxidermy
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 08:56 PM

"Cheap" and "quality" do not belong in the same sentence man. Either go cheap. Or go for quality. And that's not just for taxidermy.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:03 PM

I almost posted right after that the wording was poor. The real question is does anyone know a taxidermist that will do a shoulder mount for less than $400 that you would send a deer to

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:04 PM

it wasn't too long ago at all you could get a damn good mount done for no more than 250 or 300. Now a bunch of guys are wanting 450 for one.
Posted By: nacho

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:07 PM

Got a friend up here that does shoulder mounts for $375 or $400. Quality work and I am very happy with his work. He’s located in elkmont so it would be a little drive from Birmingham.
Posted By: ArtisticWhitetails

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: CDHunter
it wasn't too long ago at all you could get a damn good mount done for no more than 250 or 300. Now a bunch of guys are wanting 450 for one.

That's because deer manikins went from $35 to $75 in 3 years. You can thank Uncle Sam for that, in particular Obamas EPA claimed the foam used in production of manikins was bad for the environment. So, the supply companies had to re-formulate, re-tool, etc and pass the cost of doing so down to you. Even the most mundane of things big brothers got their hand in.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:12 PM

That is a ways off but I don't mind a drive for quality work. I called a guy in Oneonta that looks like he does a decent job from his pics for $400.
Posted By: James

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
"Cheap" and "quality" do not belong in the same sentence man. Either go cheap. Or go for quality. And that's not just for taxidermy.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:19 PM

Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:22 PM

Quality to one guy might be crap to another. Go look at different peoples work in person and you will find a few you like. Then pick the one within your price range.
No different than buying a car. The last 3 i had mounted were 575 each and i am very happy with them.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr
Quality to one guy might be crap to another. Go look at different peoples work in person and you will find a few you like. Then pick the one within your price range.
No different than buying a car. The last 3 i had mounted were 575 each and i am very happy with them.

Thanks for the productive response
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:52 PM

I paid $350 over 10 years ago, so $400 for quality probably not very likely any more.
Posted By: nomercy

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 09:58 PM

Please do NOT rely on pictures. I once saw some pics and then the finished product. Wayyyyy different. Finished was complete Crap and from the pics I thought it was fine. Spend a few extra bucks. You won’t regret it and won’t even remember it after you pick it up
Posted By: PERRYCOUNTY

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 10:12 PM

1ST Shoulder mount I got done was a 10 pt for $75.00 by JOEL STONE in Leeds....1977... Price him now !!!!!!

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 10:23 PM

So anyone got any recommendations around central AL that have done good work for you?
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 10:42 PM

Ron Bettendorf in Lamar county does exceptional work for $400. Less without a plaque.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 10:45 PM

Alan at Choccolocco Taxidermy in Lincoln/Talladega area is who I use. He is a top notch guy who turns out fantastic work. He may not be done overnight and it may not be "cheap" but it will be a true work of art.... AND he'll give each and every mount the same quality time and attention whether it's a little basket rack scrub buck or a 180in Buckmaster centerfold.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BCLC
Alan at Choccolocco Taxidermy in Lincoln/Talladega area is who I use. He is a top notch guy who turns out fantastic work. He may not be done overnight and it may not be "cheap" but it will be a true work of art.... AND he'll give each and every mount the same quality time and attention whether it's a little basket rack scrub buck or a 180in Buckmaster centerfold.

^^^THIS^^^

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 11:01 PM

Thanks Mbrock and BCLC, I will definitely check both of those guys out
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 11:02 PM

Ron Bettendorf is the real deal. Good folks

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/17/17 11:05 PM

Thanks Mbrock and BCLC, I will definitely check both of those guys out

Sorghum Hollow Taxidermy and Processing is Ron's business.

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/17/17 11:06 PM

Sorghum Hollow
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/17/17 11:39 PM

Cheaper isn't always worse and expensive isn't always better. If you don't know anything about a taxidermist, go to his shop and look at the mounts in progress. Look at the eyes, mouth and how the antlers sit on the mount in particular, look at a picture of a live deer for reference, especially the eyes. I hate seeing a bug eyed deer mount. I see pictures of deer on here occasionally that IMHO shouldn't have been paid for. I have some mounts that were done in the late 70's that still look good, a guy named Ernie Render from Newton did a couple of them.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/18/17 01:03 AM

Brought To Life Taxidermy
Heflin Alabama
$355
Posted By: Recurve

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 01:24 AM

This. Last one I had was $600. He’s in Gurley. Given his skill I would’ve paid him $1k.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 01:47 AM

I haven't shoulder mounted one in quite a few years but I want to say top notch work was worth $250 to $300. Some of these prices you fellas are speaking of are absurd.
Posted By: cgardner

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr
Originally Posted By: BCLC

^^^THIS^^^

Alan has mounted 3 for me and one for my dad. I won't take one to anyone else!!
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Forrestgump1
I haven't shoulder mounted one in quite a few years but I want to say top notch work was worth $250 to $300. Some of these prices you fellas are speaking of are absurd.

How much have trucks increased in that time?

It is amazing that someone will pay thousands of dollars for hunting equipment and thousands more for an ATV and then say they don’t want to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for something that will outlast all those other items and provide a memory for the rest of your life if it is quality work. Or you can go cheap and look at it forever thinking man I sure do with I had paid a little more for that mount.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 08:24 AM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
Originally Posted By: Forrestgump1

How much have trucks increased in that time?

It is amazing that someone will pay thousands of dollars for hunting equipment and thousands more for an ATV and then say they don’t want to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for something that will outlast all those other items and provide a memory for the rest of your life if it is quality work. Or you can go cheap and look at it forever thinking man I sure do with I had paid a little more for that mount.

Yep! My brother in law wouldn't come off an extra 150 to get a quality mount but on the way home from looking at the place he stopped and bought 300 bucks of ammo to blow up a wild pigs butt.
Posted By: LoCo

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/18/17 10:02 AM

Bill Jones does them for $280. You won't have much detail, but eyes, nose and ears are fine. Don't let anyone tell you different. 3342279933
Posted By: rst87

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
Ron Bettendorf in Lamar county does exceptional work for $400. Less without a plaque.
x2
He has mounted 2 for me

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 11:33 AM

I was given Bill Jones number by Mike from Bucksters in Montgomery, was planning on giving him a call as well.
Posted By: BamaWes14

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/18/17 11:48 AM

Clear creek taxidermy in jasper. Randy does awesome work and I think he is 375$
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/18/17 01:41 PM

Artistic Whitetails near West Blocton on Hwy 5 if you don't mind the wait for better detail. Ride by there around Christmas and see all the mounts and antlers you will see why you got to wait. I would pay a little more if you don't get many big ones.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 02:27 PM

The real question is does anyone know a taxidermist that will do a shoulder mount for less than $400 that you would send a deer to

I don't.

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 05:17 PM

Anyone had any work done by Tim Robertson at Still Life Taxidermy?
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 06:21 PM

Ed Smith $275 in Moulton
Posted By: dquick1

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/18/17 07:01 PM

Daniel Williams. I think it is ceadar ridge whitetail taxidermy. He is in cullman, and does a great job.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: Affordable Taxidermist - 11/20/17 09:10 AM

if you want cheap, do a euro skull mount yourself - Google/YouTube it ... but for a shoulder mount, you need to be willing to pay $300-500 depending on what you want ...
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/20/17 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: PERRYCOUNTY
1ST Shoulder mount I got done was a 10 pt for $75.00 by JOEL STONE in Leeds....1977... Price him now !!!!!!

My first mount was done by Joel in '85 for $150. It costs a little more these days. smile
Posted By: bassseeker

Re: Cheap Quality Taxidermist - 11/20/17 01:00 PM

Ken James Taxidermy in Wellington on Hwy 431 is doing my 2nd mount now. He does quality mounts starting at 350. I'll post pictures when I pick mine up.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM