Aldeer.com

shot placement

Posted By: canvasback

shot placement - 11/12/17 07:23 PM

Where is the ideal spot to aim on a deer broadside to drop him right there....(not including the neck)..?
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:26 PM

High shoulder shot. It breaks both shoulders, destroys the lungs and shocks the spinal system, DOTS
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: deadeye48
High shoulder shot. It breaks both shoulders, destroys the lungs and shocks the spinal system, DOTS

Yep.....upper crease of the shoulder. No tracking
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:52 PM

What they said

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:57 PM

What is considered the high shoulder?
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:58 PM

Another vote for mid-high shoulder.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: canvasback

2/3 up the shoulder.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 07:59 PM

If you want to drop them then shoot them right where the spinal chord meets the brain at the top of the neck
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 08:00 PM

Where the shoulder rounds at the top

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 08:07 PM

10-4......thanks fellas
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 08:23 PM

You miss 2" high on that high shoulder and all you get is a deer you think you killed, that jumps to its feet about the time you walk up on it, and you never see it again. I agree it puts them down, but you better err on the low side, not too high.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Mbrock
You miss 2" high on that high shoulder and all you get is a deer you think you killed, that jumps to its feet about the time you walk up on it, and you never see it again. I agree it puts them down, but you better err on the low side, not too high.

This. I learned the hard way on a very nice buck.

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 08:55 PM

So is it better to aim right at the shoulder?
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:01 PM

Worry less about dropping the deer in his tracks and concentrate on making a good shot just behind the shoulder, mid way up. Room for error in any direction and will kill the deer quickly with this shot. I hear people brag about their high shoulder shots but the conveniently forget about the wounded deer they never found.

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:05 PM

So is it better to aim right at the shoulder?

Follow the front leg up and shoot it halfway up the body cavity. That shot drops about half of the deer I shoot and the other half run no more than 30-40 yards with a double lung blood trail anybody could follow. Don't try to be a trick shot with the high shoulder thing. It works really well but there's a lot of mistakes that can happen in real life. A projectile through both lungs kills them EVERY time.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:09 PM

Here's my daughters shot from this pm. I wish she'd hit everyone e the rest of her life right here. 145 gr Barnes lrx 7-08. I can't explain it any clearer than this is placement you want.

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:10 PM

That's it right there.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
Worry less about dropping the deer in his tracks and concentrate on making a good shot just behind the shoulder, mid way up. Room for error in any direction and will kill the deer quickly with this shot. I hear people brag about their high shoulder shots but the conveniently forget about the wounded deer they never found.

Yep. Most of them are dead on arrival from the shock of the bullet.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:16 PM

257, looks like a healthy doe she took.
Congrats.
Posted By: claybird

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
Here's my daughters shot from this pm. I wish she'd hit everyone e the rest of her life right here. 145 gr Barnes lrx 7-08. I can't explain it any clearer than this is placement you want.

Textbook ^^^^^^
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 10:15 PM

Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 10:44 PM

The ideal high shoulder shot is an inch or so below the spine. It penetrates the lungs and shocks or damages the spine. The deer looses consciousness from the shock and the deer dies from bleeding out. 1-2 above the spine and the deer will drop unconscious, but instead of bleeding out it will regain consciousness about the time you open the shooting house door.
I don’t know why everyone is so determined to avoid the 50yd tracking job. Magnum calibers and fancy shot placement is often counter productive.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 11:30 PM

I told my hunters to shoot upper center of the shoulder....tho it rarely turned out that way. More like hmmmm i forgot what mr guide person said ill just aim at the middle of the body=paunch= me trompin through a thicket with a 357 tryin not to get bit in the face by a diamondback. Then ther was that one guy who shot evethang in the head... I liked that guy.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: shot placement - 11/12/17 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr

I aim at the "X." For the last 40 years I haven't lost too many with that spot. Those that I missed or didn't find, I obviously didn't hit where I wanted.

Dr. B
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Hornhntr

My aim point would be the bottom of the "U" in LUNGS. That's my high shoulder.
Posted By: CNC

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 09:08 AM

There’s actually been a study done on this that I read one time. Seems like it was a magazine article. It compiled a bunch of info from several hundred shots to see where was the highest percentage spot to hit that would drop the deer in its tracks. They concluded that there is a spot high on the shoulder that is DRT nearly every time. Seems like they said there was a major nerve that ran through that area or something. The problem with that shot in my mind though is that you’re really flirting with a back whack shot if you’re shot is off a little. I prefer to aim right behind the shoulder with a gun so that I have some margin for error.

Posted By: ColeT

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By: CNC
There’s actually been a study done on this that I read one time. Seems like it was a magazine article. It compiled a bunch of info from several hundred shots to see where was the highest percentage spot to hit that would drop the deer in its tracks. They concluded that there is a spot high on the shoulder that is DRT nearly every time. Seems like they said there was a major nerve that ran through that area or something. The problem with that shot in my mind though is that you’re really flirting with a back whack shot if you’re shot is off a little. I prefer to aim right behind the shoulder with a gun so that I have some margin for error.
Right behind the shoulder is definitely the easiest and nearly most guaranteed kill shot. It always seems to me like the worst shots go for the hardest shot.

Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 11:54 AM

D7 for me
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: rulebreaker

D7 for me

D-E7 $$$$$$$$
Posted By: mcninja

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 12:16 PM

E7 for my money.
Posted By: bowkl

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 12:36 PM

E 7
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: deadeye48

yup
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 01:39 PM

I would say 80% of the deer I check in are shot here. There is the occasional neck or head shot, some of those done on purpose and some not so much.

Good shot and congrats by the way!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcountry692001

I would say 80% of the deer I check in are shot here. There is the occasional neck or head shot, some of those done on purpose and some not so much.

Good shot and congrats by the way!

That shot looks D-7 per the chart or real close to it. Straight up the back of the leg, bout 1/2 way up the body, very high percentage with room for error. $$$$$
Posted By: CNC

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 03:26 PM

Here’s a deer skeleton for reference. The DRT spot that the article I mentioned was talking about is that plate on the upper part of the leg. If you hit them in that plate then it was like 95% DRT. That’s a risky shot though with little margin for error if you hit a little high. That plate is also what I’m assuming is stopping these bow shots in the shoulder.

Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 03:35 PM

The "plate" is a scapula.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 03:40 PM

c6 for me, DRT. have hit higher a time or 2 and it still drops them. Requires second shot. Last year i shot it with pistol to finish it off. If the deer drops its head right before you shoot it'll be high but the deer will still drop.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 03:48 PM

also gotta remember with them charts. The bullet is usually a downward angle. so exit and entrance wound is not the same.
Posted By: LetOff

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
also gotta remember with them charts. The bullet is usually a downward angle. so exit and entrance wound is not the same.

Good point.

I had the privilege of hunting with an old man about 3 years ago for a season on his land. He killed a few doe and a buck, all neck shots. Of course he stated, "They don't run on a well placed neck shot." I tried that technique and its proven correct so far. So put me down for C4. Only time I wont shoot in neck is if its a long shot and don't get a lot of those in hardwoods & pines.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 05:20 PM

Double lung. It leaves room for error and still delivers a fatal shot. My son was aiming just behind the shoulder this past Sunday and ended up shooting several inches so the bucked dropped in his tracks. It he had been aiming for a high shoulder shot and shot high by the same amount he would have likely missed or maybe wounded his first deer.

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 07:26 PM

Great info fellas....really appreciate all the input!!
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: shot placement - 11/13/17 08:40 PM

Check out this thread on the same topic from 1-2 years back.

Note: Scroll halfway down the first page for the original pic posted in the thread.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...rue#Post1415049
© 2024 ALDEER.COM