Aldeer.com

Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes?

Posted By: modoc_333

Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/16/17 09:16 PM

How do you trim around stands? Do you leave a lot of limbs to give you more cover, and just count on being able to shoot through smaller windows? Or do you cut more limbs out of the way so you can have more options in case the deer don't walk where you hoped? Thus counting more on your camo and being still to hide from the deer? My father-in-law and wife tend to leave more limbs. I have always cut more (though not 100%, I cut a lot). I would rather see more and be able to shoot more places, rather than count on the deer spending enough time in a narrow shooting lane for me to get a shot. The way I see it, it doesn't do me any good to be hidden from the deer if I can't get a shot on them. They can't see me on my couch at home, but I can't shoot them from there either! I sit still, and I use the camo I spent my hard earned money on.

So..... I am curious to hear your thoughts and how you trim around stands before the season.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/16/17 09:23 PM

If it's thick enough to have to cut shooting lanes, then I'm not worried about being seen. Now, on the edge of a green field, or in wide open hardwoods, I like some cover around me, or I get real high if that's not an option.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/16/17 09:25 PM

Hinge cut so you get the best of both worlds.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/16/17 10:50 PM

I don't trim anything
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 08:54 AM

i cut it out of the way, but i dont bow hunt either.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 09:02 AM

I only cut enough to be able to shoot. Hinge cutting is the worst in this situation from my experience.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 09:05 AM

I'll trim inconspicuous lanes well away from my tree but like to leave as much cover/junk around me as I can.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 09:18 AM

Just don't break a branch off a poison ivy vine in front of you then rub your nose like I did Saturday.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 09:30 AM

I trim very sparingly, i like trees with alot of trash at the bottom or right under me. Best tree to put a loc on in, in my oppinion if you can leave it and its in adecent spot is in a big bushy cedar just trim out a little window. But id trim very sparingly, as its easy to get carried away and cut all your cover and not realize it.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
I'll trim inconspicuous lanes well away from my tree but like to leave as much cover/junk around me as I can.

^^This
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 02:45 PM

I don’t trim at all but I’m also very wary about leaving scent. I don’t hunt a lot of places more than 3 times so it would be a waste of time anyway. I guess I’m saying I stay mobile to up my odds of killing nice bucks and I would rather leave the limbs that are in my way and shoot the deer when they pass them than leave scent while cutting them and making a bunch of racket and make the deer completely leave the area or make them super spooky when they do come in.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 04:23 PM

I used to collect old fake Christmas trees with the detachable limbs. On stands that have little to no cover I'd drill a hole and put in the fake green limbs. Worked pretty good too.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 05:32 PM

Well, y'all wouldn't like my shooting lanes. But mine will be cut early spring every year.
Posted By: Ruger8point

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 07:24 PM

The best deer hunter I know doesn't even worry about scent and wind, the only thing he worries about is cover.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 07:46 PM

Only thing I typically cut is something that is in the way of me drawing my bow or aiming my rifle right at my stand location. Other than that I leave it all. I LOVE cover and use it often.
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/17/17 10:33 PM

I guess most here don't cut much! haha.
I do like the Christmas tree idea. I want to laugh at the thought, but if it works, then it works!
Posted By: centralala

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/18/17 04:12 AM

As I said, sounds like most wouldn't approve of my shooting lanes. But it also sounds like like most are referring to bow hunting. I cut my shooting lanes with a dozer. 2-3 blade width wide and about 150-200 yards long. Done in early spring it will grow back in weeds by fall. After the first year its just bushhog early summer. Think of a small gas line or small power line.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/18/17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM
Just don't break a branch off a poison ivy vine in front of you then rub your nose like I did Saturday.

Whew.... talk about a lesson learned the hard way!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Cutting limbs... Cover or shooting lanes? - 10/18/17 06:59 AM

shooting lanes, hell I've been known to make limb barricades to move deer travel 20 yards towards my stand(the only decent tree in a monster saddle). It worked.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM