Aldeer.com

Sam murphy wma

Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Sam murphy wma - 10/12/17 10:35 AM

Whats yalls expeiance. Whats the terrain like. Never been there before but ive heard good things.
Posted By: Ryano

Re: Sam murphy wma - 10/12/17 12:06 PM

Thick
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Sam murphy wma - 10/12/17 01:42 PM

^^^^

It's mostly cutover and pine thickets, but some good hunting as far as WMA's go. Healthy deer density at least last season. I would say kind of hilly, a few steep hollers. Lots of turkeys and fair number of hogs. The game wardens had a hog trap set out on one of the green fields from what I can remember.

I hunted there once late in the rifle season last year, didn't see anything myself but there was a ton of deer sign. Much more than what I'd seen at Freedom Hills or Lauderdale WMA's. It seemed to be a little more broken up into several smaller parcels than places like the 2 I just mentioned.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Sam murphy wma - 10/12/17 02:17 PM

I suggest you study the map closely. As stated above, its broken up into many small sections and you need to have a plan in place before you arrive about where to go. Lots of homes and buildings all around. There is some good opportunity if you scout thoroughly. It gets a lot of traffic on days of scheduled gun hunts. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Sam murphy wma - 10/14/17 02:01 PM

lots of piddlin up that way
Posted By: dquick1

Re: Sam murphy wma - 10/14/17 03:36 PM

Went there with a friend, and my son last year. First and last time. My friend had been up there several times and had a spot that he had done some good , in the woods. To get too it we had to drive through a lot of cutover. Trucks every 100 yards, and people shining lights. Got to our spot and I wasn't very sure about the setup. my son killed a small buck walking in, we were still going to hunt a while longer. Just to many hunters way to close. We loaded up, driving out the cutover looked like a dove field. There where hunters around the edge in treestands, and hunters scattered in the middle on dove stoles. Never seen anything like it, and I have hunted a good bit of public land.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM