Aldeer.com

FOOD PLOTS

Posted By: hunter84

FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 08:25 AM

We received about 4 1/2 inches at the club between Saturday and Monday, hopefully we will see some green this weekend... can't believe the season is upon us. GOOD LUCK Everyone !
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 03:51 PM

Yep. This heat will get it greenin up for sure.
Posted By: Maggie123

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 05:08 PM

Man, my husband and I planted Friday morning and you can see green already!! Best of luck this season!

Friday morning!

Today..

Today..

Friday morning...me pulling the cultipacker.

Today!

Today!
Posted By: gatorbait154

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 05:32 PM

Looking good!
Posted By: Out back

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jaredhunts
Yep. This heat will get it greenin up for sure.

If you planted cool season crops, like the rest of us do, the heat isn't helping at all. Rain yes, heat no.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 07:58 PM

this was a week after we planted. Now all my food plots look like golf courses
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/11/17 08:28 PM

Some good looking spots!!
Posted By: lefthorn

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:08 PM

Went and checked my two plots. Look a little thin, but lots of good growth. Winter peas taking off! I thinkif the rape will come on it will fill in good. Planted Sept 29 What say ye?

Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:13 PM

Left I'd say shade is your enemy there. Maybe top sew some clover
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:18 PM

Top sew some rye they are really thin.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

This

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:39 PM

I felt they were a little thin too. Ok, school me on food plot seeding rates. So I planted buckbuster fall mix. Wheat, oats, rye, crimson clover, and three different kinds of clover. Bag says 50 lbs per acre. Those plots are about 0.25 acres each.

How much seed mix do you usually put out??
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Waldo
Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck

This

x2. I just top sowed any bare spots in mine with winter wheat, forage oats and Marshall rye grass.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 07:41 PM

They were covered in tracks
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/17/17 09:22 PM

Should be plenty of seed may have just been covered to deep.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: lefthorn
I felt they were a little thin too. Ok, school me on food plot seeding rates. So I planted buckbuster fall mix. Wheat, oats, rye, crimson clover, and three different kinds of clover. Bag says 50 lbs per acre. Those plots are about 0.25 acres each.

How much seed mix do you usually put out??

75-100lbs/acre
Posted By: Remington270

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 07:09 AM

I always put out more seed than recommended. Wheat is cheap and oats aren't too bad, especially if you're not planting all that much acreage.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 07:10 AM

I doubt I covered it too much. Disced, disced in fert, broadcast seed, then drug it with gate of trailer.

I see the rape and clover coming up,maybe it is just slow. Or maybe the roots haven’t found the fert yet. Better than I had last year.

How long does it take rape to get nice big leaves? This plot is only 2.5 weeks old. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Around November 15 or so, gonna hit it with ammonia nitrate
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 07:13 AM

I doubt I covered it too much. Disced, disced in fert, broadcast seed, then drug it with gate of trailer.

I see the rape and clover coming up,maybe it is just slow. Or maybe the roots haven’t found the fert yet. Better than I had last year.

How long does it take rape to get nice big leaves? This plot is only 2.5 weeks old. Am I expecting too much too soon?

Uh, yes. Give it a month or two. They typically won't hit the rape until after the first frost when it sweetens up.

I would top seed with more rye if I were you.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 07:18 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Uh, yes. Give it a month or two. They typically won't hit the rape until after the first frost when it sweetens up.

I would top seed with more rye if I were you.

Ok. Thx
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/18/17 07:40 AM

We planted turnips and radishes in our plots. Within two weeks, ours had be leaves. We didn't get a rain on our plots until about the 2nd or 3rd week after planting.

I agree on top sowing some more seed. Good luck.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/21/17 10:45 AM

Here is how they look today. Shady one definitely looks a bit thin

Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/21/17 07:52 PM

Doesn't look like they've munched on that top one much.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/23/17 09:06 AM

Deer hit rape and radish as soon as it starts getting good size leaves on them, at my place, but turnips are a different story. They need a frost to sweeten them up.
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/23/17 10:36 AM

Rapeseed, Chicory and Clover all looking good, and growing well, as are the red ripper cowpeas. They have been growing taller, but I suspect that is nearing an end. I didn't expect them to really stay as long as they did, most reviews of them suggest in small plots they get mowed down. I'm pretty well covered up with acorns, I can't step anywhere without stepping on them, so that may have a lot to do with it.

With last night's rain the oats and winter peas should get a good start on germination, and hopefully we'll be green all the way past Christmas. I'll probably throw out another round of BFO in the thin spots before the next rain. Will add pictures next time.

I'm not sure that I have gained anything from planting the red-ripper cowpeas, other than they look cool growing in the food plot. Very few of my pictures are of deer actually eating in the cowpeas, they're on the clover/chicory. I think that attempting to grow them in the summer would only shade out most anything else I'd try to grow.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 06:48 AM

So is it too late to top sow any seed? Especially with the first frost/freeze forecast for this weekend?
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 07:04 AM

no
Posted By: beeline08

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 08:50 AM

I have a spot that I decided I would like to plant this late also. What would be best this late? Not necessarily looking for the quickest production but will attract and hold them better in Dec and Jan.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 09:03 AM

i just planted my plots this weekend, but i only hunt it 3-4 times till the middle of jan. But i'm in south bama too.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 09:51 AM

Cereal rye will actively grow as long as temps are above 34 degree's.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 06:07 PM

mines kicking ass , mine is as thick as the hair on a dogs back . we aint planting for seed , we planting for forage .

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/24/17 06:18 PM

i did try somting different this time , i planted half bob oats and half coker oats . i'll see if they like one over the other .
Posted By: Fatherof4

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/25/17 09:36 AM

I planted my fields a week or so ago. Did not have time to fertilize. I'm in Montgomery Co. Might have rain early Sunday morning. I will be outa town (daughter just had our 2nd grandbaby, a boy!) Can I spread fertilizer on Friday, then hopefully get rained on Sunday...will it burn the grass shoots that are coming up?
Posted By: Wj1978

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/25/17 10:27 AM

Just make sure the dew has evaporated so none of the fertilizer granules sticks to the grass.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/25/17 11:56 AM

might burn it but wont hurt it . i'd just spreed some 34-0-0 now.

give it kick in the a$$

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/26/17 08:57 AM

So, I spread fertilizer yesterday...13-13-13. Shoots were coming up, maybe 3-4" tall...hopefully this will give it a boost. Looked kinda thin to me, hopefully it will take off. At my local feed store, guy said once they get 8"-10" hit em with the ammonium nitrate...will do that as well...maybe right before Christmas.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/26/17 09:43 AM

If you have a decent deer density, I doubt they will ever get 8-10" tall.

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/26/17 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
If you have a decent deer density, I doubt they will ever get 8-10" tall.

lol yep , i always put a wire mesh cage in the field to see how it growing .
Posted By: crocker

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/26/17 08:04 PM

What area are you hunting in lefthorn?

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/26/17 10:21 PM

Fayette County
Posted By: crocker

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/27/17 08:09 AM

Fayette County

10-4. I hunt in west jefferson and the terrain looks a lot alike. We have lots of gaswells and roads

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/27/17 09:08 AM

Good point on the deer density. My farm is only 30 acres. Surrounded by fields...there are woods, but, the deer do have to travel to get to my property. Only owned it a year and a half, so still learning it. I'm in a good area, Mathews, AL, just about at the Bullock Co line...time will tell...
Posted By: jbc

Re: FOOD PLOTS - 10/27/17 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Fatherof4
I'm in a good area, Mathews, AL, just about at the Bullock Co line...time will tell...

great area
© 2024 ALDEER.COM