Aldeer.com

Slugs out of a regular shotgun

Posted By: ColeT

Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 07:56 AM

They are not very accurate!!! Last night we missed a big boar at 40 yards 4 TIMES. We defied all odds and accomplished the impossible.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 08:03 AM

Dangit man what in the heck are you shooting a boat for.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 08:16 AM

Maybe the boat was piddlin' around his dock.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 08:34 AM

Couldn't hit the broadside of a boat.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 08:41 AM

LOL spell check strikes again
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 09:13 AM

I feel your pain. When I first started hunting with slugs, I missed a big 8pt 5 times at 30 yards. Buy a rifled barrel and shoot sabots.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 09:34 AM

Talk with Elkhunter about #4 buck.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:01 AM

Did that boathog have tits?
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:03 AM

You know, growing up my dad worked at a military depot and we hunted there, it was slugs only. We both shot Remington 1100s with smooth slug barrels, always had a scope on those guns. We shot the basic Winchester 1oz rifled hollow points and those guns were surprisingly accurate. We killed deer out to 100 yards, and occasionally farther. But those smooth barrels won't shoot a saboted slug whatsoever!!
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:11 AM

Them dang boat hogs.
Posted By: sumpter_al

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr
I feel your pain. When I first started hunting with slugs, I missed a big 8pt 5 times at 30 yards. Buy a rifled barrel and shoot sabots.

Or buy an AK. More rounds mean more dead hogs. Im probably the only redneck who has one mounted on my tractor.

Targets of opportunity do not always present themselves at 30 yards.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: tbest3
Them dang boat hogs.

I'm telling ya. It was a biggun

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
You know, growing up my dad worked at a military depot and we hunted there, it was slugs only. We both shot Remington 1100s with smooth slug barrels, always had a scope on those guns. We shot the basic Winchester 1oz rifled hollow points and those guns were surprisingly accurate. We killed deer out to 100 yards, and occasionally farther. But those smooth barrels won't shoot a saboted slug whatsoever!!

lol that's the exact slugs we shot. I don't know if it had something to do with the choke tube or not, or maybe the fact it came out like a knuckle ball. But we're shooting it at a target before we use it agin.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:59 AM

dang boy, did ya shoot em BEFORE going hunting with em???
Posted By: MCW

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 10:59 AM

I have an Ithica Model 37 with a smooth bore barrel with rifle sights. Can hit a pie plate at 75 yards all day long. Killed a dandy 10 point at 52 yards last season. DRT.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 11:00 AM

Can you get just a rifled choke?
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10
Can you get just a rifled choke?

I still have an 1100 with a Remchoke barrel (21" with rifled sights). It still won't handle a modern "fast" sabot. However, Winchester makes a BRI sabot, speed is pretty slow like an old Foster style, it's pretty slick with those.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 12:17 PM

You need to shoot it at paper and see what's going on.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 12:34 PM

Some shoot them good and some dont.

My brother has a 20 gauge Rem 870 with a std smooth bore 28" modified barrel that will outshoot most rifled slug guns I've seen. At 50yds they will be touching and I wouldnt hesitate to shoot one at 150 with it.

I've got the exact same gun and I'm lucky to hit a pie plate at 50 yds with mine. It just sprays them out there randomly.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
dang boy, did ya shoot em BEFORE going hunting with em???
nope and we should have
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: slippinlipjr
Buy a rifled barrel and shoot sabots.

This! Jan 2, 2010 I missed a sho nuff stud shooting pumpkin balls out of a smooth bore barrel. Still haunts me to this day too!
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 08:41 PM

Dixie Tri Ball
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 09:31 PM

Wish I could have been there to witness this lol.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: AU7MM08

You'd of been just as shocked as me. LOL. But you'll be there before long. Just been hectic between side work and getting the land ready.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/18/17 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeT

Originally Posted By: AU7MM08

You'd of been just as shocked as me. LOL. But you'll be there before long. Just been hectic between side work and getting the land ready.

I think the 870 compact is fairly accurate with cheap slugs.
Can hit a milk jug at 20 or so yards.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 12:23 AM

Shot a deer few years ago with old mossberg 500 pump w/28 inch barrel with regular slugs. Right in front shoulders drt. I would definetly pattern at different yardage to see what is up. Follow forward while pulling trigger to reduce pull.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 09:07 AM

I like this thread. I have an 12 GA 870 Express Pump that I've been considering getting a slug barrel for, to use as a brush gun when I hunt some thicker places with close range shots. Would be cheaper than buying a lever gun for sure.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 09:50 AM

I have a youth 870 20ga. It shots the pumpkin balls good. I use to carry it all the time.
Posted By: fishman731

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 02:20 PM

Federal Truball slugs. They really improved the foster slug out of a smooth barrel. They are really accurate in my guns out to 100 yds.

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 02:25 PM

You smooth bore shooters, do you have a barrel with rifle sights or just the bead? On my 870 pump I only have the 28" vent rib with the bead sight. Just curious.
Posted By: Zbrann

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 04:45 PM

1.5oz TSS #1 with an improved cylinder. About 60 pellets... Bad little suckers.
Posted By: MCW

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/19/17 04:50 PM

My Ithaca model 37 is a smooth bore with rifle sights. Shoot rifled slugs.
Posted By: ixlr8ed

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/22/17 03:40 PM

I purchased a 20" cantilever smooth bore barrel for my Stoeger 2000 and have a Bushnell red dot on it. Modified choke. Accurate at 100 yards with the cheap Winchester 2 3/4" Rifled Slugs . Love the set up.

If you have a Stoeger P350 they have the same barrel I got for $49.99 too. They are sold out for the M2000 at that price. https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=stoeger+20%22+barrel
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/23/17 10:15 AM

If a barrel takes chokes are you unable to shoot slugs?
Posted By: Tider86

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/23/17 11:08 PM

Brenneke green lighting are very accurate in my smooth bore.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Slugs out of a regular shotgun - 09/24/17 10:32 PM

I use a rem 870 magnum smooth bore with slugs and it groups fine out to 75 yards. Havent gotten to check it at 100yds. Gonna see how far out it will reach next time. I used rifled winchester slugs i think....its been a few years ago but im almost positive thats what they were. Goodman hunter...i read about all that info years ago on my research. Dang i need to make sure again but im pretty sure you can shoot rifled slugs or smooth slugs out of smooth bored barrels with chokes. Id be afraid to try it on a full choke but think u can do it on modified and so on. I want to say u can shootem with full xhokes but id have to research again to be certain. Matter of fact my 12ga rem mag has a modified choke in it. Thats the one i was shooting groups consistently at 75 yards with a smooth bore and rifled slug. Killed some hogs at 50 yds no problem.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM