Aldeer.com

clearcuts

Posted By: Bugmaster

clearcuts - 09/14/17 04:47 PM

We are currently clear cutting 1/3 of our place. This will be the first time in my life that it has been that way. How does it effect the deer and amount of deer you see? We are breaking into smaller sections so it wont all be clearcut in the same location on the property.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 04:49 PM

If you can deal with it for the first couple of years then you're set, it's tough hunting while it's just bare dirt. But once it starts growing oh boy it's good hunting and good bedding.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 05:19 PM

Pine or hardwood?
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 05:28 PM

Starting the 2nd year on ours. Last year sucked. As they cut the first section, nothing came up because of the drought. One thing for sure, the first few years are going to be very cold because of the wind. I wasn't prepared for hunting in Kansas. Lol
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 05:58 PM

If they don't poison it there will be a ton of browse for the deer. You will be surprised to see they still use the draws and low spots to walk. I've seen them bed in sunny spots on the ridges. Nobody hated it more than me, adapt and you can still kill them. Hunt safe

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:13 PM

Now this I believe. We are supposed to have 175 acres sprayed next week.
I will have lots of questions from our braintrust later.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1

On your Chambers Co property?
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:18 PM

It'll be the best hunting you got!

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:23 PM

Bugmaster, let's stay in touch.
Like a babe in the woods on this.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:43 PM

First year you'll get rare deer sightings. The next couple it will be a magnet for them until the stuff is too tall to hunt. Then it will hold a ton of deer but you can only hunt the edges as it will generally be too thick to be hunt it effectively in the interior. Some of our best hunting though, is on the edges when it is super thick.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 06:56 PM

I love clear cuts...especially during the rut. Even new clear cuts ive shot bucks crossing during the rut.
After the first year it just keeps getting better too.

just my opinion though.
Posted By: bigt

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1

If they are spraying it don't worry about hunting it this year it will be nothing but 175 acres of nothing but dirt.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 07:27 PM

What's been said above for first year. Years 2 - 5 should be very good, especially if there is a water source in the cutover.

Once they replant and some of the new pines accidentally die in the shape of a long turkey foot or L shape, those areas will be good from a tripod in years 5 - 10...especially if the brush is kept to a minimum. These areas work best if they're positioned where the first rays of sun can hit them on cold, frosty mornings.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jlbuc10

/thread

I'd rather hunt 10 acres of cutover than 100 acres of hardwoods.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 07:41 PM

Depends on whether or not the clearcut is sprayed as well as how it was cut. The club I'm in had several hundred acres clearcut this year so far. I think they're still cutting some. So far nothing has been sprayed. There's a still a lot of brush and a few hardwoods standing. Fortunate for us it's not parking lot cleared. Debris is everywhere and the deer are bedding & traveling it now. It's hard hunting. Get a good pair of binocs. You'll need them.
Posted By: Reno

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 08:13 PM

Killed a 7 point last season on the edge of a clear cut that was cut in August..
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 08:27 PM

I've always hated hunting a fresh clear cut but I've got a killer bow spot that's an island of mature hardwood trees in the middle of an old cutover it's a several hundred yard walk thru head high crap but once you get there its a little oasis
Posted By: DeerTracker

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 08:36 PM

About 125 acres of our 500 total was clearcut during bow season last year. We saw more deer overall and more quality deer than the last 5 seasons. They way ours was cut seemed to bunch the deer in the remaining woods/trees that were remaining.
The 125 acres was sprayed about 3 weeks ago and we are waiting for the burning then planting any time now.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
poison

"Selective herbicide"
Posted By: auburn17

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Reno
Killed a 7 point last season on the edge of a clear cut that was cut in August..

I also killed really good 7 last January in a clear cut that was in November, but it had not been sprayed and it was the rut
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 09:40 PM

Look for a lot of tracks where they come in and out of the cutover...figure out the predominate wind for it and put you a good. comfortable. and concealed stand up on the edge of it preferably where you can cover a lot of of ground cause the first few years will be jam up...Happy Hunting... thumbup
Posted By: Snowman257wby

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession
I love clear cuts...especially during the rut. Even new clear cuts ive shot bucks crossing during the rut.
After the first year it just keeps getting better too.

just my opinion though.

This. The will run does out in it.

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 10:11 PM

And for the long haul pick you out a nice stand spot(wind & other factors). Then make you a road wide or wider long lane ( few hundred yards if you can) & keep it sprayed knocked down or what have you every year. It just might be one of your best spots from year
3 to 10 or more!!
Posted By: Bugmaster

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 10:25 PM

They are suppose to cut this winter. It's all one big sections. We broke up the place in 10,20, and 30 acre clearcuts and leave in between areas forested. We will spray late next summer and plant next winter
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 10:46 PM

Secluded with restricted access you will do well. Clear cut in spring allows browse to grow. If you could let a certain amount grow for 2-3 years and spray all vegetation leaving no trees you would have a self supporting food plot. Rotate areas sprayed while one grows the other is sprayed. Browse and sunshine in winter with water nearby some of best self supporting habitat. Add proportionate nearby acorns you have most of what you need. If you and neighbors can do trigger restraint.

Re: clearcuts - 09/14/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Bugmaster
They are suppose to cut this winter. It's all one big sections. We broke up the place in 10,20, and 30 acre clearcuts and leave in between areas forested. We will spray late next summer and plant next winter

Either way I would see if they would let y'all keep some clean lanes like that in them.
Posted By: SouthernRoots

Re: clearcuts - 09/17/17 09:43 PM

Hunted a piece for the last 12 years that had a new section cut nearly every year. Like someone said above, the deer will actually continue to use the same draws and ridges that they have always travelled for the first few months. Almost out of habit. From what Ive seen they continue to do this until they feel pressured, then they will alter their travel ( like with any pressure I suppose).
© 2024 ALDEER.COM