Aldeer.com

How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills

Posted By: Headhunter1984

How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 06:44 PM

Started when I was 11 killed my first (doe) when I was 12 and haven't let up 22 years later and 60-65 kills later.

Old school bear, Hoyt and Pse

Redhead Toxic Xt

Pse Surge

Mathews
Featherlite
Mq32
Switchback
Drenalin
Reezen 6.5
And hoping to do so with the Z7 I just picked up starting this year
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 07:06 PM

47 years, 1970-1994 two recurves, 52 deer
1995-now PSE and Mathews Switchback, 80 plus
Beginning this year with Barnett crossbow, arthritis in shoulders
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 07:32 PM

I'm 43, and I'm guessing I started bow hunting around the age of 20 (wasn't too early). First bow was a High Country Machined Supreme, then I went to a PSE Carrera, then a Mathews Switchback, now a Mathews ZXT. The most deer were killed with the Switchback, and I guess the Carrera was next. I wish I had kept up with the numbers, but all I can do is guesstimate. I killed 14 in one season (Switchback), 13 the next season (Switchback). I killed 5-10 most seasons during the early 2000's. The past few years I've killed maybe 2 per season with a bow, I know I killed 5 maybe 4/5 years ago now. In full sincerity, it's got to be approximately 80 - 90 with a bow. I tell the story that I quit using Rage broadheads because I went through two packs in one week! LOL
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 08:19 PM

About 25 years ago I bought an old bow from a friend, don't know what kind of bow. We shot in the yard for a few weeks before season and started pouring out some corn. Opening day it was about
96 degrees when I got in the stand. Mosquito's ate me up. Just before dark an old doe walked in and when she was almost 1/4 to me she saw me up in the tree. I shot at the point of the shoulder and she took off. I waited a few minutes and the skeeters really started eating so I went on the blood trail. I finally found her about a quarter mile away in an old cut over. I got her to the truck, hauled her to my friends house, gave him the deer and never shot another arrow. One shot, one deer, never more.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 08:45 PM

Since 92. Browning, Mathews, and Bowtech. Havent kept track but probably avg 1 a year or more.
Posted By: BearVenue

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 08:55 PM

First deer was a doe with a PSE Nova, been hooked ever since. That was 1998.... Since then I've owned a High Country, Champion Storm, Hoyt Trykon XL, and now a Bear Venue. I'm at 40 plus deer now, mostly does. Just a handful of bucks. Bow hunter for life!
Posted By: jawbone

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:04 PM

I started in the later 80's and have killed deer with an old Bear, a High Country, and a Matthews. It seems like I had something else between the Bear and the High Country but I can't recall the particulars.

No real idea on totals though but I guess I averaged about 5-7 does and 1 good buck per year since I started.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:06 PM

25 years. McPhearson, Mathews, and Hoyt. I've never kept up with how many total that I've killed. I probably haven't shot 10 does over the years. I learned pretty early on that bow season was the perfect time for me to take a buck.

My first deer with a bow was a 7 point. I've killed several sixes, sevens, and eight points. I believe I've only killed one 9 point and I know only one 12 point.

Probably pretty boring for some folks, but I enjoy it and feel blessed.
Posted By: AC870

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:22 PM

I ain't killed many with a bow but have used several different bows. They were all nice.
Power Mag
Jennings Uni-Force (that was a sweet shooter, responsible for multiple kills. The limbs eventually started separating. I think it was a failing common to the model).
Matthews Signature.
McPherson Ultimate Eliminator

I hadn't killed one with a bow in awhile as you might have noticed from these bow models.
I did kill a rabbit last year with my left handed McPherson Edge.
I bet not many of you guys have killed with a bow right handed and left handed.
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:27 PM

Started around age 13. Self taught. Stuck a doe that year with my Bear Whitetail II. Stuck several over the years before actually recovering one. I was 19 and it was a field full of deer. 10 rack bucks. I finally got a shot, and hit, a 1.5 yr old 8 pt. I was shooting a High Country at that time. Then I bought my first Mathews in 1996 and I've shot a bunch of them over the next 20 years. About to start my 3rd year with an Elite. I've killed several racked bucks, but nothing that makes P&Y. 115" is my biggest. I keep a running tally on my bow accessories box. It's pretty accurate, and it has 47 tally marks on it right now. I usually shoot 2-3 per year with a bow. I carry it until about the 3rd week of January, or unless weather is too crappy, until I pick up a gun. Can't make myself go all year...yet.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:27 PM

Started in 1991 with a Browning Mag Compact. Killed 2 with it.
Reflex Extreme
PSE Stingray
Mathews Q2... got it in 2000 and killed a chit load with it, lost count. Hunted with it on and off through 2012. Outback owned it during my Hoyt years and I got it back in 2007.
Mathews LX
Hoyt Xtec
Hoyt Vtec
Hoyt Trykon
Mathews Drenalin
Mathews Z7... got a 13pt with it
Mathews Chill R
Mathews Creed
Mathews HTX

No idea what my total kill number is, but I'm sitting on a 20 year long streak with at least one bow kill during bow season.
Posted By: jbc

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:52 PM

PSE Nova - 1
Jennings Buckmaster - 1

(Long break)

Hoyt Charger - 5 or so
Bowtech RPM360 - 20 or so
Mathews Halon 6 - ready to go
Posted By: tbest3

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/23/17 09:58 PM

Shot my first deer with a bow at 13 with an old McPherson. Then upgraded to a hoyt for a couple years and been shooting PSE bows ever since.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 05:04 AM

Bear Whitetail II
High Country
Hoyt
Several Mathews
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 05:37 AM

Been bow hunting 25 years. Not sure on the numbers, cuz like birthdays I quit keeping up. Killed the most with a High Country second most with a Darton.

Darton
Oneida
Bear
High Country
PSE
Posted By: woodduck

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 07:41 AM

Only killed 3 with bow. Old bear whitetail for the first. It was a small 8 point on corps land. One of those special hunts yiu still remember every detail years later. Other 2 were with a PSE
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
25 years. McPhearson, Mathews, and Hoyt. I've never kept up with how many total that I've killed. I probably haven't shot 10 does over the years. I learned pretty early on that bow season was the perfect time for me to take a buck.

My first deer with a bow was a 7 point. I've killed several sixes, sevens, and eight points. I believe I've only killed one 9 point and I know only one 12 point.

Probably pretty boring for some folks, but I enjoy it and feel blessed.

Amen, all these years later, and having killed plenty with a bow, it still gives me chicken skin even to see a doe coming in! It's just that nervousness of having to stand, and wait till it's close, and draw back without being seen, then make the shot, then all the follow up and trailing part, dang I love it! (I think that's one of the reasons I've never been a fan of crossbows, it seems to take a lot of what I enjoy about it out of it. Not starting an argument about xbows, just expressing my experiences and how I think it would differ)
Posted By: top cat

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 04:02 PM

41 years. Ben Pearson, Browning, Martin, York and PSE. Somewhere near about 65+.
Posted By: Bud Meadows

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 04:07 PM

Ive been bowhunting 55 years- since I was 15. First bow was a Bear recurve, then a Browning Super Xcelerator, now a Mathews Outback. My biggest buck I shot in 2003 with the Browning- he grossed 167 & 3/8 P&Y. Here he is:
Posted By: Bud Meadows

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 04:11 PM

Here's my second biggest buck, shot in 2001 with the same Browning bow as above. He grossed 160 P&Y even:
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 07:36 PM

I love that 167" buck thumbup
Posted By: mw2015

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 09:27 PM

14 years
Martin Jaguar
Diamond Rapture
Matthews Helim

All my deer were killed with my Matthews. There is no comparison with my first two bows.
Posted By: Headhunter1984

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 09:39 PM

Very interesting thread So far and it's so wild how the technology has changed from the yesteryear bows. Almost makes me wanna go out and find a old compound 20 years or so old and go hunt with one again.

And Bud those are some super bow bucks, and seeing that old compound gettin the Job done is very impressive. No let off, aluminum arrows, probably 3 of the old brass single pins, satellite broadheads, and the two prong arrow rest that when you draw back you hear metal sliding on metal. (I had one those old type rest way back when and I'd keep a gob of Vaseline in the crevis of my bow and run it on the rest to quite the draw) man at the memories I'm reminiscing.
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 09:43 PM

Started bow hunting in 1997.

First bow was a Jennings Uniforce 800R.

Killed lots of deer with it.

Then I switched to Mathews.

Mathews Q2XL
Mathews LX
Mathews MQ1
Mathews Switchback XT

I lost count on kills but somewhere around 40 +/- with a bow.
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 09:51 PM

Been deer hunting right at 50!years and finally started getting mad at them with bows about 29 years ago!! Been mad with a bow ever since,shot McPherson Hoyt and a bunch of mathews,!!!and still mad at those horns,
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/24/17 11:15 PM

I was probably 10. Didn't get serious about it until college.
Posted By: king

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 07:29 AM

started bow hunting in 1957, that = 60 years,and still counting waiting on October,first bow was from sears,i have since then, shot bear, browning, Jennings,hoyt,matthews, still shooting a Matthews. the first deer I killed was at choccolocco mgt.area in 1960 with a bear recurve ,it was a doe, the largest deer I ever killed was in st, clair co. on broken arrow creek, with a browning recurve , it placed in the top 10 in Alabama bowhunters for the 1975-1976 season
Posted By: Mully

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 07:58 AM

Started bow hunting in 1996 when I was 11 yrs old with a High Country Extreme. I could shoot lights out in tournaments and at targets but couldn't connect on a deer(emptied my quiver several times). In 1998 I won a McPherson Mark VIII in a tournament and connected on my first deer a 7pt that fall. Since then I have shot a High Country Brute Force, a Mathews LX, a Mathews Switchback and currently shooting a Mathews Z7. I have no idea how many deer I have killed with my bow and have never killed any monster bucks but I love to wear does out with my bow every year.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 08:23 AM

25 years. Bear, High Country, Hoyt. Bought a Mathews last year but haven't connected yet.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 11:53 AM

started in 1985.
Bear whitetail II
PSE polaris
PSE Mach 4
Mathews Feather Max
Mathews Switchback XT

No clue on number, probably around 35-40. Generally kill at least 1 a year with the bow.
Posted By: Jlu509

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 01:04 PM

Started bow hunting last year with a Bowtech Assassin, shot 1 doe so far.
Posted By: Recurve

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 01:52 PM

20 years hunting. Martin Jaguar for a few years. Then I switched to a Black Widow PMAII. I still have that bow but now I mostly use a one piece Black Widow KBX.
Posted By: teamduckdown

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 03:50 PM

Started Bow Hunting at age 10. So 17 years now, although some years, I wasn't as aggressive about it,and rarely went.

Bows:
Browning Micro Midas
PSE Spyder
Mathews Switchback
Mathews Creed XS

41 deer with the stick and string.
Posted By: Zkd22

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: AC870
I ain't killed many with a bow but have used several different bows. They were all nice.
Power Mag
Jennings Uni-Force (that was a sweet shooter, responsible for multiple kills. The limbs eventually started separating. I think it was a failing common to the model).
Matthews Signature.
McPherson Ultimate Eliminator

I hadn't killed one with a bow in awhile as you might have noticed from these bow models.
I did kill a rabbit last year with my left handed McPherson Edge.
I bet not many of you guys have killed with a bow right handed and left handed.

That edge has claimed many lives
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 05:29 PM

I started with a Bear recurve when I was 16. Killed 11 deer with that bow. Then I got a High Country Trohpy Hunter and probably killed 70-80 with that bow, just based on the painted marks each time I killed one. Then I purchased a Matthews Switchback and have taken around 45 with that bow and continue to shoot that bow today. I doubt I will ever venture out and buy another one as this ones meets all my needs. I still my old High Country and have thought about using it some this season but I like that let off too much on the Matthews. Wouldn't mind giving a traditional bow a few shots as well.
Posted By: woodsrider

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/25/17 09:57 PM

25 years, no count on kills
First bow was a Browning (Pronghorn) I think, I was 8 maybe
First hunting rig was a Mc Pherson Bantam. I grew with it.
High Country Extreme
PSE
Ben Pearson
Mathews LX (My favorite setup of all time)
PSE EVO

I have always enjoyed bow hunting and being an archer. My father started in the early 70's when he got home from the Nam. The path blazed by the early bow hunter's was a tremendous accomplishment that all of us modern day guys are deeply indebted to. Everything about the sport has come so far but its essence is still mostly pure despite technological advances in equipment.
Posted By: IsaacMcCaslin

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/27/17 03:19 PM

Got my first bow in 1992. It was a Bear, but I don't remember the model name. Got a Bear Black Panther after that and then a Browning Adrenaline. For various reasons, I went about 10 years without bow hunting at all. Within the last year, I picked it back up and got a PSE Brute Force. Pretty fond of it.

Thinking back on it, I've killed thirteen deer and a bobcat with my bow.
Posted By: Reno

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/27/17 04:31 PM

this will be my third season bow hunting. Ive killed 1 doe so far and that was 2 seasons ago. drew back on a doe last year but I was busted. im shooting a bear attitude
Posted By: hayman

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/27/17 06:42 PM

Been bow hunting 22 years.

PSE Nova 50# : killed a 7 point and a doe.

High Country Four Runner 65# : have no idea, but a lot.

Pearson Pride 65# : no idea, but a lot.
Posted By: BamaGuitarDude

Re: How long you been bow hunting, what brand bows have you killed deer with, total kills - 08/28/17 10:08 AM

- A newb; this will only be my 4th season this year (last year was a bust)

- Bear Carnage bow

- 3 deer

BGD
© 2024 ALDEER.COM