Aldeer.com

Scouting timing

Posted By: Smells

Scouting timing - 08/12/17 04:50 PM

I don't really scout much in the summer. I figure patterns change anyway so what's the point. If I find a place covered up with tracks or other sign in May, chances are it'll be different in October. For the last couple of weeks though I've been visiting spots I'm figuring on hunting making sure I have shooting lanes for the trees I want to climb. It's so hot I'm only visiting 1 or 2 spots on a Saturday morning. I figure I can do this probably right up to the opening but wonder if I should. I've heard plenty of people say "You're best chance to kill a nice buck is the 1st time you hunt a spot. I'm sure they mean each year and that the reason is that the 1st time is when you've made your presence least known.

If I'm in there prepping a spot for hunting before the season, what do you say the minimum amount of rest time would be for that spot before I go back in to hunt it?
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Scouting timing - 08/12/17 06:17 PM

Bucks in velvet are very predictable concerning timing and patterns. Within days of losing velvet, all that goes out the window in my experience
Posted By: Whild_Bill

Re: Scouting timing - 08/12/17 07:17 PM

Mature bucks are going to pattern you period. I hunt off of what the other members do and rarely hunt the same place twice
Posted By: twistedtines

Re: Scouting timing - 08/13/17 03:17 AM

I agree with both of these guys... And when it comes to cutting shooting lanes, hanging stands, and any pre season prep, I try to have it done before the bucks come out of velvet. The bigger deer especially seem to turn into a completely different animal as soon as that happens. I don't want them to know I'm in the world the first time I hunt em
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Scouting timing - 08/13/17 01:15 PM

I do all of my major lane cutting in February. That's for 2 reasons: 1) it's still cool temps and 2) the buck sign is still fresh from the season. I don't like being in the woods this time of year. I like to leave the deer alone during the summer months.

I'll hunt the same stand through the season and haven't noticed any ill effects. I've noticed bucks to be very predictable until about the front part of November.

I'll hang my ladder stands in September. These are mainly for rifle season. My bow stands are hung on fresh buck sign a day or two before I hunt them.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM