Aldeer.com

St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting

Posted By: ALclearcut

St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/11/17 09:25 PM

Anybody know what the deer hunting is like in that area south of I-59?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/11/17 09:38 PM

It just depends. Let me hunt the property for you this year and ill let you know. There are some studs in the area if you don't have a ton of pressure.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/11/17 09:53 PM

St Clair is overall a pretty poor county for deer. There are definitely spots with potential though. Clark8907 killed a goodun in odenville last year.

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/11/17 09:56 PM

Yea I'm not expecting the area to be anything like the Black Belt. Just hoping to see a few deer most hunts. It's hard to find decent deer numbers within 45 minutes of Birmingham.
Posted By: Reno

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 12:09 AM

Good deer in the area.. Getting permission to hunt them is the hard part
Posted By: Honolua

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 12:39 AM

I am in Margaret and we don't have a ton of big deer but I feel really blessed to see the numbers I do.

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Honolua
I am in Margaret and we don't have a ton of big deer but I feel really blessed to see the numbers I do.

That's good to know. Iv'e got a small place in the area I am hoping to see a decent amount of deer on. Mostly mature pines with thick undergrowth beneath and a small food plot, surrounded by hardwoods on the bordering property. I think it will have the cover and food sources to hold some deer in the area if there are decent numbers to begin with.
Posted By: CNC

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 08:55 AM

Used to be some good hunting around the prison.....I think Alabama Power owns some good land in that area.
Posted By: 59Hunter

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 08:01 PM

Down 231 b/t Ashville & Pell City, and east from there to the river has some big deer, and decent numbers.
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/12/17 09:00 PM

The flatwoods are full of deer.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/13/17 09:21 AM

Last year there were some shoonuff studs killed in saint clair. My buddy has 140s on camera every year. Definitely some good deer in the area if your in the right spot. The house I lived in, i had quite a few good deer on camera and killed a 134 last year.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 09:13 AM

Always been my best county to hunt in out of 5-6 different properties i've hunted.
Posted By: CNC

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 10:08 AM

The biggest deer I’ve ever laid my hands on was one that a guy I know killed in St Clair county just off few miles off the Springville exit. It scored in the high 160’s…..It had 15 scorable points with palmated G2’s…..a real heavy massive rack too. That's been nearly 15-20 years ago now.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 10:13 AM

Used to hunt in Ashville and saw boat loads of deer a killed a few good ones.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 10:23 AM

Alabama Power owns a good bit of property in springville. They're making the deer herd better
Posted By: Cummins

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 09:15 PM

I live part time at my farm in the area by Shoal Creek for 14 years...and yes there is good deer. But finding the good patches of grass to hunt is another thing...its who you know. Hunted alot of private property off Blair Farms road, and off the prison, and a few other places, including my small farm. I getting ready to sell my place but I will miss it for sure. I lived there full time and still hunting I would tell theres better places...like Majestic.

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/14/17 09:21 PM

If I can see a deer or two most days I will be very happy.
Posted By: Geno

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/15/17 08:53 AM

Had some studs come to a feeder in my mother's back yard on top of Simmons Mountain. It's in the city limits of Springville now but it was county for forever. It was unusual not to see at least one deer on the road into the property. Normally would see 4-5 on the drive in. They had no pressure so they weren't (still aren't) spooky.

I never hunted the yard deer and never hunted for horns but I did kill one of my two largest deer within a few hundred yards of the house.

Re: St Clair County: Odenville, Argo, Margaret area deer hunting - 08/16/17 06:06 PM

I checked the feeder/camera I put out about 3 weeks ago and it only has a pic of one deer; a small buck. And he was just passing through and didn't stop at the feeder. The feeder was still almost full. From my experience on other land in the past I don't usually get many pics in the summer. There seems to be so much food available that the deer don't bother the corn unless it is a really well established feeding site. At least that is what I am trying to convince myself.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM