Aldeer.com

Fetal studies

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Fetal studies - 08/11/17 07:34 PM

What other info are researchers looking for when doing fetal studies? I mean after 1000's of does killed across the state over the past decades, certainly the pattern of conception dates has been established by now. Just seems like a waste of resources and animals if that's the only thing they are looking at. Maybe effects of drought on reproductive rates and other things?

Dr. B
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Fetal studies - 08/11/17 07:38 PM

Nighthunter took the weight of the fat around the heart and kidneys I belive, of the mothers to asses the health of the herd and make harvest recommendation
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Fetal studies - 08/11/17 08:23 PM

They could still be testing to see if the rut dates are changing. I heard BSK give a presentation years ago that rut dates could be shifted as the sex ratio gets closer to 1:1. If the increase in doe harvest is shifting the sex ratios, there's a legitimate chance that the conception dates are not the same as they were 10 years ago. That's my thoughts. I think that was one of the main factors in the decision to increase the doe limit years ago.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Fetal studies - 08/11/17 08:41 PM

What I've read and heard at seminars is primary rut dates shift very little. However, the closer the sex ratio gets to 1 to 1 the shorter and intense the breeding period will be.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM