Aldeer.com

Public land game cameras

Posted By: Marksman

Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 06:45 PM

I tried searching but couldn't really find what I was looking for. What are the laws concerning game cameras on management areas and other public land? Can you use bait, attractant, or minerals in front of them before or during the season?
Posted By: Cutem

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 07:35 PM

Im almost sure it is not legal to bait. If i were you i would just do it and not give a dang.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 09:39 PM

You can put cameras out but no bait or salt. Oh and be prepared for your cameras to be stolen.
Posted By: Powpow65

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 09:49 PM

I put one out last year on public land and was ok, but it was way back in the sticks. I was turkey hunting on public land this year and there was a note nailed to a tree written to the thief of some other guys camera.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 09:54 PM

It's legal but recommended that you buy a lockbox for it or someway of locking it to the tree.

Another tip is use a climber or climbing sticks to put it above eye level on the tree to keep it out of easy sight and where someone will have to climb the tree to get to it. Angle it downward using a stick or something to get the camera angle right.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 10:30 PM

You can not leave a camera on any public land over night. If they wont let you hang a ladder stand and leave it, do you really think you can leave a camera? No sir. The law states that you have to leave the land unmolested. No permanent stands, no cameras over night or ground blinds left behind. They will fine you. There would be all types of garbage in the woods if they allowed that. Read the alabama hunting digest on laws. Everything you need to know is in that book and or any public land permits.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jakethesnake
You can not leave a camera on any public land over night. If they wont let you hang a ladder stand and leave it, do you really think you can leave a camera? No sir. The law states that you have to leave the land unmolested. No permanent stands, no cameras over night or ground blinds left behind. They will fine you. There would be all types of garbage in the woods if they allowed that. Read the alabama hunting digest on laws. Everything you need to know is in that book and or any public land permits.

shut up

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 10:35 PM

You shut up beadlescum
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 10:36 PM

You shut up beadlescum

youre about the most negative person ive ever seen on here
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/11/17 10:50 PM

I have 2 cameras out on public land here in Oregon. Both about 15ft off the ground with cable locks. Someone may steal one but, they'll work for it. Get them high and they're less noticeable.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 12:13 AM

Jake I'm pretty sure the WMA rules state you can't put up stands without the land owners permission
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 07:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
be prepared for your cameras to be stolen.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 09:58 AM

Read the back of the permit map for the particular WMA. The ones in this corner is strictly NO baiting with feed or mineral, probably a state wide regulation.

Here you can place a stand for the season, after that they will come get it.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:25 AM

Powpow65, thats correct but the wma is owned by the government, not a land owner. You cant leave stuff on government land is basically what im sayin. I wish i could. I use to see a guy leaving a ground blind on tva land a whole lot last year. It was off the beaten path. I cant believe no one stole it. I put up a lot of cams anyway, i had a guy takin a dump on one. He had no idea. Id rather seen coyotes on that cam ha
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:35 AM

Powpow65, thats correct but the wma is owned by the government, not a land owner. You cant leave stuff on government land is basically what im sayin. I wish i could. I use to see a guy leaving a ground blind on tva land a whole lot last year. It was off the beaten path. I cant believe no one stole it. I put up a lot of cams anyway, i had a guy takin a dump on one. He had no idea. Id rather seen coyotes on that cam ha

So you come on here and tell everyone it's against the rules to leave a cam out, then proceed to say you do it a lot anyway. Cool
Posted By: Out back

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:44 AM

There may be specific regulations on certain WMAs but "public land" encompasses far more than just WMAs.
On national forest lands for example you aren't supposed to build or attach any permanent structure or use nails, screws or screw in steps.
Otherwise you may put up and leave any kind of stands or cameras you're willing to risk.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:47 AM

Jake there is absolutely no expressly written law against leaving cameras out on public land. The only two regulations found are concerning permanently erecting tree stands, leaving blinds, or inserting screws or other objects that damage the tree, and removing or damaging artifacts. Here's the link toe WMA regs feel free to find the one banning game cameras.

WMA Regulations

I'd be happy to admit I was wrong if you can point it out.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:54 AM

I like the cameras because it lets me know who is in that area when im not there. Like how much pressure it gets. I got a friend that will take other peoples camera sd card out and erase it, then put it back to that camera. They only get pictures of him messin with their camera im guessing. Then they get freaked out and leave the area he says. Ha thats funny. Thats public land only of course
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:58 AM

the wma is owned by the government

Nope.

Some. Not all.

But please, tell us more bullcrap.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 10:59 AM

Water head alert.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 11:03 AM

I like the cameras because it lets me know who is in that area when im not there. Like how much pressure it gets. I got a friend that will take other peoples camera sd card out and erase it, then put it back to that camera. They only get pictures of him messin with their camera im guessing. Then they get freaked out and leave the area he says. Ha thats funny. Thats public land only of course

Marksman see above for why you need a lockbox.
Posted By: Bait57

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 12:00 PM

I hunt public land. I usually run 10-15 cams on public land all the time. Only lost one because a bear ate it up.

Back in Va I even kept several climbing stands and a few lock on stands on public land all season.

The law there is the same as here. As long as the object (stand) is not perminatly attached to the tree then it's fine.

If I leave anything on public land I have it cable locked. Not to prevent theft but to keep honest people honest.
Posted By: BibbHunter

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM
Jake there is absolutely no expressly written law against leaving cameras out on public land. The only two regulations found are concerning permanently erecting tree stands, leaving blinds, or inserting screws or other objects that damage the tree, and removing or damaging artifacts. Here's the link toe WMA regs feel free to find the one banning game cameras.

WMA Regulations

I'd be happy to admit I was wrong if you can point it out.
i consider lockon stands removable. Does the wma allow that?
Posted By: Marksman

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I read the regulations for WMAs a few days ago. It said there was no corn, salts, etc allowed to be used for hunting. It didn't say anything about for cameras, though. At least I didn't see it. Thanks for clearing it up for me
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 02:57 PM

popcorn

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 03:14 PM

I would be interested to know the definition of permanent as it applies to tree stands on public land myself.

As for cameras though, there is no reg that mentions them specifically

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 03:20 PM

Did it say anything about planting?

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 05:12 PM

I know, i have never found anything specifically stating no cameras left. Ask a gamewarden on duty if you can leave a camera in the woods. They have told me that i cant leave anything at all behind in the woods? Im pretty sure i have read where it states in a wma or reg book that you have to leave the land un molested. Im sorry if i have offended anyone. That was not my intention. Nor did i want to steer anyone wrong. Thanks and im sorry. I competely apolagize to anyone that i pissed off.
Posted By: Karl9

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 06:10 PM

For what it's worth. I was told by a game warden that if it is public land and it isn't there naturally it is littering. That was his opinion and I never found anything in writing.
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 07:00 PM

I would be interested to know the definition of permanent as it applies to tree stands on public land myself.

As for cameras though, there is no reg that mentions them specifically

Did you know that light poles on a ball field are considered temporary objects and subject to tax. Just like computers and desks. Found out the hard way. CRAZY!!!!!!
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/12/17 07:38 PM

Well, I've taken several dumps on alabamas WMA's and I didn't take those with me. Just put your camera out and hope it doesn't get stolen.
Posted By: Rip50

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Powpow65

It's not legal and consider baiting . You can try calling the District Office and get permission to do it. But be ready for several phone calls and emails to get approval. And whom ever is over the WMA will get mad. We even offered to help buy lime,fertilizer and seed.Then bring a tractor to help plant plots that they already had opening for. And it was a no go.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 01:08 AM

Any jerk caught messing with anyones game cam needs his legs broken. Screw him up and end his season. Leave other folks chit alone. That is stealing and needs to be dealt with accordingly. I hate a damn thief.
Posted By: kodiak06

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 01:21 AM

Your friends a jackass! He'd have 4 flats pretty quick if he does that to the wrong person.
Posted By: tikkaman

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 01:25 AM

When hunting public lands, one must learn to live in the woods to be part of the woods.
Animals live there naturally and we must adapt to which we choose to live.
Posted By: rulebreaker

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:01 AM

This place is going to hell in a hand basket....
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:21 AM

Jake your showing how little you know about WMA's. Most of the land the state has for WMA's is NOT owned by the state, but leased or some other agreement with private landowners to use the land for that purpose. TVA land is a different situation from the WMA's.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:25 AM

I personally know several game wardens and biologists. Thats means absolutely nothing, just saying.
But as they see it, permanent means "attached to the tree with nails or screws". Anything that can be easily removed and does no harm to the tree is not permanent, by definition.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:26 AM

They also discourage building any kind of free stand that requires digging holes. If its planted in the ground its considered permanent.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:45 AM

Thanks Outback!

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker
Any jerk caught messing with anyones game cam needs his legs broken. Screw him up and end his season. Leave other folks chit alone. That is stealing and needs to be dealt with accordingly. I hate a damn thief.

X2

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Rip50

Originally Posted By: Powpow65

It's not legal and consider baiting . You can try calling the District Office and get permission to do it. But be ready for several phone calls and emails to get approval. And whom ever is over the WMA will get mad. We even offered to help buy lime,fertilizer and seed.Then bring a tractor to help plant plots that they already had opening for. And it was a no go.

Well I probably wouldn't plant there if I could, just curious. They plant a few on the one close to me. Besides it's so much easier to just pour out some corn in front of my camera and build a shooting house up in one of those huge oak trees!

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 05:31 PM

Hi outback, your rite, i should have been more specific about the ownership of wma's so i want to apologize for that. Tikkiman i want to apologize to you as well. I been too fast to reply without thinking my words through so im sorry about that the other day and hope you forgive my dumb rear end. I been laid up with a broken foot and been goin through some personal family problems lately. So im truly sorry for any smart comment i made towards anyone on here. I will start thinking more before i react. As well as be more considerate. Im new here and didnt know how serious you guys were i guess. Boy yall dont put up with no bs thats for sure. Once again i want really want to respectfully apologize to you guys and hope yall forgive my sillyness. I will straighten up. God bless yall and hope theres no hard feelings towards me.
Posted By: LoCo

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 09:39 PM

Hi outback, your rite, i should have been more specific about the ownership of wma's so i want to apologize for that. Tikkiman i want to apologize to you as well. I been too fast to reply without thinking my words through so im sorry about that the other day and hope you forgive my dumb rear end. I been laid up with a broken foot and been goin through some personal family problems lately. So im truly sorry for any smart comment i made towards anyone on here. I will start thinking more before i react. As well as be more considerate. Im new here and didnt know how serious you guys were i guess. Boy yall dont put up with no bs thats for sure. Once again i want really want to respectfully apologize to you guys and hope yall forgive my sillyness. I will straighten up. God bless yall and hope theres no hard feelings towards me.

Yep, you're not in the club, so ya gotta watch it.

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/13/17 10:42 PM

Thankyou LoCo. I was a fool. I will watch it sir.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/14/17 01:35 AM

Game cameras on public land are fine. Climbers are also okay. When it comes to lockons and ladder stands ask the game warden. The law is too vague and could go either way.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/14/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: perchjerker

X2

Make sure the camera is off when the azz whipping is delivered. Don't want any recorded evidence of justice being applied.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/17/17 05:38 PM

lowndes wma is littered with my cameras and lock-ons. aint never had no trouble.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Public land game cameras - 08/17/17 06:26 PM

It is written in the bylaws of this site that you should not apologize for anything, ever. You gotta stand your ground, son
© 2024 ALDEER.COM