Aldeer.com

Thermacells...

Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:07 PM

Are they worth the money? Also, are they completely scent free? I would think butane puts off some kinda scent. Was considering getting one but would like to hear from some who own them.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:11 PM

Yes.
No.
It's not enough scent to matter.
Have used them for years like thousands of other hunters. They work.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Yes.
No.
It's not enough scent to matter.
Have used them for years like thousands of other hunters. They work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: MC21

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:29 PM

best purchase I've made in the past 5 years.
Posted By: Booger

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:32 PM

Best invention for hunters next to gunpowder, IMO.
Posted By: DaBreeze

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:34 PM

Wonder if they would work while riding a mower? I got chewed up mowing yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:42 PM

I used mine today when running my polesaw. Best outdoor related invention since the rain suit. Damn skeeters are worse under my trees than at Wheeler Refuge I do believe.

I honestly didn't know there were people that didn't have them.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:49 PM

FYI they are selling them at discount for Amazon Prime Day tomorrow.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 06:54 PM

They work!
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:00 PM

I wish they would work on tics and chiggers.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:00 PM

Thermacells.....buy stock now. I went to the country today and in 30+ years hunting down there, I've never seen mosquitos like this year. The only way I was able to stay and check my camera was because I keep a can of bug spray in all my vehicles since I sure didn't think about before I left the house.

Thermacells work but they are not odor free as they purport. I can smell them so I know a deer can, but if the wind is in your face, it doesn't matter. Besides, I don't hate a deer bad enough to tolerate getting ate up by skeeters anyways.
Posted By: chris3954

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:11 PM

They also make a earth scent pad just for hunters. Best price I've seen has always been on Amazon.

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:13 PM

Well I guess I'll be getting one. The support seems overwhelming. Thanks for the fast input.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:26 PM

I started using one this past deer season and it has been the best purchase I've made in a long time. I mainly hunt from ground blinds and since using the thermacell no mosquitos gnats or pests of any kind
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:30 PM

If you are staying put in one place that is when they will work the best. Yeah they smell but i doubt deer are spooked by it. I doubt they smelled enough of it to associate it with humans/danger. Once November comes you aint gonna need it too much anyway. Great for turkey hunting and early bow season.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:32 PM

deadeye, I've had it keep away flying insects, but I still found a couple tics and was bitten by red bugs. Maybe mine wasn't very strong. I didn't have gnats or skeeters on me, and not even close enough I could really hear them.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:36 PM

If a deer smells the Thermacell, it's already smelled you anyway.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:40 PM

Could be because the odor concentrates inside the ground blind either way since ive been using one...no problems

Originally Posted By: blahblahblah
deadeye, I've had it keep away flying insects, but I still found a couple tics and was bitten by red bugs. Maybe mine wasn't very strong. I didn't have gnats or skeeters on me, and not even close enough I could really hear them.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla
Are they worth the money? Also, are they completely scent free? I would think butane puts off some kinda scent. Was considering getting one but would like to hear from some who own them.

Yes work great. Also make earth scent.

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Shaw
If a deer smells the Thermacell, it's already smelled you anyway.
thumbup

You might get lucky and have your odor diluted enough that they don't pay it attention like they should or they are distracted by something else, but you can't cover or mask your scent from a deer if they are downwind from you. You are hurting your chances, that day and for the future, every time you try. It took a long time for this to get into my hard head, but now, the #1 variable affecting my stand selection is the wind direction. If the wind is wrong, no matter how bad I want to sit somewhere, it won't be there with the wind at my back. I think this is the #1 rookie mistake in hunting. Sitting where you want to sit, not where the wind dictates where you sit.
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: blahblahblah

Flying insects are all they're supposed to repel.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 08:09 PM

Worth every penny, i think i have like 10 or 11 of them alotta times i carry more than one specially in turkey season an they save your dang life bout 90% of the time, the other 10 is it wont repel some bugs aaaannnnnnddd you might run out of fuel or repelent an git eat alive
Posted By: Jmxinc

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 08:14 PM

Buy one and plenty of pads and butane !!!
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Booger
Best invention for hunters next to gunpowder, IMO.

This.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 08:39 PM

No and no
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 08:59 PM

If they didn't make em I might give up early season bow hunting haha well probably not but they dang sure make it more relaxing
Posted By: Moodyc24

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 09:01 PM

Very worth every penny. I use it all the time!
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
No and no

You're weird Brad.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 10:48 PM

Worth every penny
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: Thermacells... - 07/10/17 10:56 PM

I spray diluted permethrin on my hunting clothes. It seems to work almost as good without having to bring the thermacell everywhere. It's the same ingredient in the thermacell pads.
Posted By: Night_Stalker

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 01:59 AM

Mosquitos are attracted to the Co2 you breathe out. Also, they are attracted to folks with O positive blood type than the other types.

The therma cells are supposed to be the ticket to warding off the skeeters.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 09:21 AM

Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 10:01 AM

i noticed on the box, it said dont use in enclosed space like tent. Do yall still use them in shooting house and blinds?
Posted By: BibbHunter

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 10:22 AM

FYI. Amazon has thermacells as a prime deal starting at 6:04pm.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 11:42 AM

Wouldn't go to the woods without one during bow season or turkey season. If deer smell it, they're going to smell you anyway.

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
i noticed on the box, it said dont use in enclosed space like tent. Do yall still use them in shooting house and blinds?
I've tried mine in shooting houses with the windows open and the smell still gets too strong to keep it running. I run it for awhile then shut it off and let it air out. When they start getting after me I'll just crank it back up. I have considered setting it under a house or on the steps but never got around to trying that.
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 11:49 AM

Since the odor these devices put off is the primary topic of concern with the Thermacell, what are our options as hunters for odor-free insect repellent for early season bowhunting?

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: NWALJM
Since the odor these devices put off is the primary topic of concern with the Thermacell, what are our options as hunters for odor-free insect repellent for early season bowhunting?

Same opinion. I can smell it so I know a deer can. No problem as long as the wind is in your face and the deer aren't downwind.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 12:15 PM

I'd buy one if they were 300 dollars. Worth every single penny.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 01:34 PM

If it's warm enough for mosquitoes to be out, i'm not in a shooting house unless its raining.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 01:37 PM

I own one but honestly never use it, bug spray is all I use during turkey season.
Posted By: rsm88

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 04:18 PM

Definitely worth buying.
Posted By: Tidewins

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 04:19 PM

If you are staying in the same area they work but i tried to use one fishing and did not make any difference. They would work good for hunting.
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 04:35 PM

Spend the money. You won't be disapointed. I use mine frequently.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 04:51 PM

Best invention since the wheel.
Posted By: Wade

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 10:06 PM

You goobers are missing an important Thermacell function. I take mine in December and January on cold mornings when you will never see a mosquito. Take the scent pad out and use it as a hand warmer. You can cycle it on and off and it is a toasty hand warmer or belly warmer. Been doing that for the past few years and it stays in my pack almost all season long now.

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 10:45 PM

This is a reminder to go ahead and get mine out and make sure it is in good working order. The skeeters are as bad as I've ever seen this year.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Thermacells... - 07/11/17 11:49 PM

Just put ya a couple drops of Tinks #69 on the blue pad and you'll have every freaknasty in the woods lined up at your tree waiting on a toe tag. thumbup
All jokes aside, I'll leave my bow in the truck before I forget my Thermacell.
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Thermacells... - 07/12/17 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jawbone
Originally Posted By: NWALJM

Same opinion. I can smell it so I know a deer can. No problem as long as the wind is in your face and the deer aren't downwind.

Jawbone is right on the money! If the wind is in your face the scent won't matter. I've read on other boards when thermacell first came out that the regular scent won't spook deer and they also make an earth scent as I said in earlier post. You need to check wind direction when you hunt. If the wind is going to shift you should plan your exit to not compromise position and educate the deer. You can use an Ozonics but it can reduce effectiveness of your Thermacell. You could spray your clothes with sawyer spray ahead of time to let dry. Just keep the wind in your face like Jawbone says and they won't smell Thermacell. Use earth scent as I know they won't smell that. It's like using an Earth scent wafer for cover.
Posted By: CarbonClimber1

Re: Thermacells... - 07/12/17 07:36 AM

I like to got toted off scoutin yesterday... They badddddddd tis year. I was avoidin standin water like it was lava
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Thermacells... - 07/12/17 03:08 PM

It's my go to gift for folks who don't have one.

Still cant believe they work....it's insane how well they work.

The first thing I do when turkey hunting is light my Thermacell, then I worry about everything else.

Re: Thermacells... - 07/13/17 07:09 PM

Too many positive responses so I went and got one. I kinda live in the sticks and always have mosquitoes and no-seeums buzzing around so I'm gonna light er up tonight on the back deck and give it a run.
Posted By: GoldenEagle

Re: Thermacells... - 07/14/17 12:23 AM

I use one every day in the swamps at Redstone Arsenal. I couldn't work without it.
Posted By: James

Re: Thermacells... - 07/14/17 02:42 AM

Too many positive responses so I went and got one. I kinda live in the sticks and always have mosquitoes and no-seeums buzzing around so I'm gonna light er up tonight on the back deck and give it a run.
They work good, but i haven't had much luck with gnats (Damn all mouths) down south...
Posted By: Honolua

Re: Thermacells... - 07/17/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter

If you do you will look like you have the pink eye...But I do!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM