Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 04:40 PM

Need some recommendations on who does lime spreading for
Monkeytown County.

Also, what is going/fair price for spreading lime these
days per ton?

Thanks hombres.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 04:44 PM

Co-op would be my first call. I think $25/ton spread, is a respectable price. Though some folks pay $50.
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270
Co-op would be my first call. I think $25/ton spread, is a respectable price. Though some folks pay $50.

It's been tough for me to even find someone to spread
Posted By: centralala

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 05:28 PM

Not a Co op in Montgomery. I have used the Elmore Co Co op several times and have been pleased. I request the old man (about 90 yo) because he knows my land, where to go, and where not to go. Last week I paid $35/ton at the Dallas Co. Co op UNSPREAD. Depends on where your land is, Casey's out of Lowndes Co may be an option
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 05:48 PM

We used the troy coop last summer. Spread about 75 tons. They spread about 50 tons with spreader truck and we spread 25 tons with their lime buggy. It was about $30/ton field dumped and spread on our place
Posted By: eskimo270

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 06:56 PM

$33/ton spread in Geneva co
Posted By: CNC

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 07:34 PM

Call the Co-op in Elmore County or the one in Notasulga. They have buggies you can rent as well if they're really backed up or something.
Posted By: Bar270

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 07:35 PM

Rent the buggy do it your self

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/25/17 07:56 PM

The best way is to pay a spreader truck. Their equipment and liability. Second is the buggy. If you are going back and forth to lime source. Cost and liability go up. Last year I had 1 field I needed 4 tons and wouldn't ask the spreader driver to go to it. I could get it with a buggy. Lime, buggy rental, and new rear window I had over $100/ton. Then there is the seed spreader behind a tractor. Cheap but VERY labor intensive. I did 3.16 tons last week. Just me and my shovel. I don't recommend it.
Posted By: D Wilborn

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 07:33 AM

Liquid calcium is $15.00/ gallon. Recommended 2 to 4 gallons per acre sprayed on dirt or the plants. Put it out with a sprayer on a four wheeler. Get a 25 gallon sprayer from Tractor Supply. You will be surprised at how often you will use the sprayer.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 07:51 AM

A couple of questions about the liquid calcium. How well does it mix with water, does it require agitation? If you spray it on plants would a surfactant help? Would you wait till the fall food plots are 4 or so inches tall before spraying or would it be better to spray on the old stubble of the plots planted in Oct 2016?
Posted By: Jarod

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 08:41 AM

WmHunter,

Just went through this myself and found a couple different folks that would do it. I am in Montgomery County near Sikes and Kohns. Pike County CO-OP does it for 60/ton (crazy high). Goshen Farmer's CO-OP also works our area and will do it for 34/ton for a "field dump" on your place and then they will spread it or 40/ton for "off the yard" meaning they load their spreader truck at CO-OP and then spread on your place. They charge more because they may have to do multiple trips depending on how many tons you need.

If you are getting 20 tons or more "field dump" is the way to go IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 09:29 AM

Most of our lime cost is freight getting it here in this area. $40/ton spread isn't a bad price and the one I'd choose if the terrain allowed it. Just me and what I prefer.

One good thing is you shouldn't get stuck as dry as it is. Bad thing is you're gonna need rain to make the lime work once your get it out which may be tough this summer.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 01:34 PM

Lot of good replies here.
Thanks guys.
I am definitely going to have to have it delivered and spread.
No other way for me to do it.

Later on I may do the liquid calcium thing with 4 wheeler, but for now I need a major doctoring up of things lime wise.

About 30 tons at least.
So that means field dump.
So does that mean that field dump = they deliver AND spread for X dollars per ton or that they deliver and dump for X/ton and then spread for an addition Y/ton?

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 02:53 PM

Field dump.means they deliver it in a truck that holds about 25 tons. Then they drive their spreader truck to your property. You need a tractor with a loader to load lime into their spreader truck
Posted By: mman

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 02:55 PM

We paid $40/ton to have it delivered and spread. It was not the powder, but more of a pelletized lime that didn't blow away (it was windy when they spread it).

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/26/17 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: mman
We paid $40/ton to have it delivered and spread. It was not the powder, but more of a pelletized lime that didn't blow away (it was windy when they spread it).

You probably just got a little larger mesh size lime with a little moisture in it. As longer as it spread the moisture doesn't matter. Pelletized lime is WAY more expensive than $40/ton or someone screwed up bad.

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: centralala
Originally Posted By: mman

You probably just got a little larger mesh size lime with a little moisture in it. As longer as it spread the moisture doesn't matter. Pelletized lime is WAY more expensive than $40/ton or someone screwed up bad.

I wasn't the one that bought it so I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it was not wet powdered lime. It wasn't the round pellets either. IDK???

We will have them come back and spread rainbow fertilizer this fall. I don't remember what that will cost, but I do remember it will be cheaper than us buying bags and putting it out ourselves.

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 06:41 AM

"Rainbow" and "cheap" doesn't belong in the same sentence. With them spreading it they should be able to give you the exact ratio you need. I too will be using Rainbow this year. I have been meaning to for years and laziness has gotten the best of me.

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By: centralala
"Rainbow" and "cheap" doesn't belong in the same sentence. With them spreading it they should be able to give you the exact ratio you need. I too will be using Rainbow this year. I have been meaning to for years and laziness has gotten the best of me.

Haha, you are right. I should have said "less expensive". We had soil test done after the season and yes, we do plain to get the ratio we need. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it works.
Posted By: D Wilborn

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
A couple of questions about the liquid calcium. How well does it mix with water, does it require agitation? If you spray it on plants would a surfactant help? Would you wait till the fall food plots are 4 or so inches tall before spraying or would it be better to spray on the old stubble of the plots planted in Oct 2016?

Mixes well with water, need to do a jar test if mixing with anything other than water. I don't put surfactant with the calcium, but it may help some. I am spraying it on new growth. It is recommended a quart to 1/2 gallon on foliage and 2 to 4 gallons on bare dirt.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ronfromramer
Field dump.means they deliver it in a truck that holds about 25 tons. Then they drive their spreader truck to your property. You need a tractor with a loader to load lime into their spreader truck

Well cripes, my tractor doesn't have a front end loader..........

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: WmHunter
Originally Posted By: ronfromramer

Well cripes, my tractor doesn't have a front end loader..........

I think the troy co op has one, we just had one available to use
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Lime Spreader dudes rec/prices - 04/27/17 07:41 PM

I just spread about 80 tons and had three loads dumped on my property. I used a feed and seed spreader or buggy from coop and spread their lime they had dumped.

Word of advice... dump the lime on a disked field. If you dump it on tall grass, when you get the last few scoops with your tractor bucket, you may get some grass and roots and it may clog up your buggy's moving track and door!! Jess sayin'!!!!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM