Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:27 PM

That has to be a joke
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:28 PM

heck of a deal if you wanna die
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:33 PM

Sweet!! I really like the climbing blocks.
Posted By: mcninja

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:36 PM

Wow.
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:38 PM

The blocks look very safe
Posted By: tikkaman

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 03:52 PM

Must be part of an estate sale.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 04:00 PM

That is a DEAL if he's throwing in that green twine
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 04:05 PM

I wish he was closer
Posted By: centralala

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 04:52 PM

I've hunted from worse. Too old now,though. A fall today reminded me of that.
Posted By: HOYT3006

Re: check these out - 04/14/17 09:57 PM

Looks like a Jerry Simmons design.
Posted By: James

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 03:48 AM

That Old School stuff there grin
Posted By: jawbone

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 06:17 AM

I've seen worse................30 years ago.
Posted By: centralala

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: jawbone

My memory is terrible so I can easily be wrong. But as I remember, 30 (+/-) was when Summit hit the market and changed hunting and safe stands. Before that was Amacker. Before that was Baker. Before that was cotton spindles and a 2x4 built stand. Before that was 2x4 nailed to the side of trees and a 2x4 built stand. I hunted and survived through them all without a fall.
Posted By: Turkeyboy

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 11:26 AM

Built and hunted from these in the early 70s. Pushed it flat up against the tree and swung the chain around and attached it, then pulled the outer edge of the stand down and pushed the sharp rod into the tree. Then jerked on the outer edge to secure it. THEN, grabbed the outer edge and pulled up! About 7 1/2 feet off the ground! And killed deer underneath! Once had three 8s to come to a scrape on a cold frosty opening day (remember those?). Stuck one at 6 steps with the recurve and watched him run and fall 50 steps out. Looked back and the other two were staring up at me! Myyyy how things have changed!
Posted By: jawbone

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: centralala
Originally Posted By: jawbone

My memory is terrible so I can easily be wrong. But as I remember, 30 (+/-) was when Summit hit the market and changed hunting and safe stands. Before that was Amacker. Before that was Baker. Before that was cotton spindles and a 2x4 built stand. Before that was 2x4 nailed to the side of trees and a 2x4 built stand. I hunted and survived through them all without a fall.

The way I remember it is first were the homemade permanent stands, next were the Bakers, as the first portable stand, then came the most dangerous, the home made copies of the Bakers. The first somewhat safe and easy to use climbers I can remember were the Amakers. After that a slew of them came along with API being the first I can remember buying. Youngsters take note that this was long before a safety harness was readily available to the hunter.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 04:38 PM

Those first safety harnesses were about useless also. I knew a guy that fell and the old "safety" harness was wrapped around his chest and he was killed, as it was designed. They found his pocket knife on the ground and the nylon strap had been partially cut. He was about 23 years old. This was in the early 70's I think.
Posted By: Fezzik

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 07:29 PM

He's been posting those for at least 6 months
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 08:21 PM

Just bought one for my Mother-in-law.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: check these out - 04/15/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
That has to be a joke

I'm here and he's been posting that ad for a long time. I just shake my head.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 07:26 AM

For all you young hunters who benefit from latest hunting technology , that's the way the original loc-ons were made in the late 70's . Even though I was young and fearless I was terrified in those . I only hunted in one a couple of times, that was enough for me.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 07:54 AM

When you found that special tree.....
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 08:55 AM

I know a few people I would like to give one of these stands.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 08:59 AM

I knew several folks in the 60's that had those death traps fall out from under them like a trap door. No safety belt either. Only saving grace was none of them were over 12 feet off the ground.

I knew a fella hunting NF while sitting on one of those. Using a 48" Bear Super Mag he took a shot at a close deer, lower limb of recurve pegged his nuts to the platform...he doubled over from pain and front flipped off the platform and hit the ground with a thud. He had to drag/crawl to his truck.
Posted By: twaldrop4

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 03:16 PM

The lock ons weren't what I found impressive. I have hunted out of much worse. The blocks on the other hand. Now that is something else
Posted By: James

Re: check these out - 04/16/17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I knew several folks in the 60's that had those death traps fall out from under them like a trap door. No safety belt either. Only saving grace was none of them were over 12 feet off the ground.

I knew a fella hunting NF while sitting on one of those. Using a 48" Bear Super Mag he took a shot at a close deer, lower limb of recurve pegged his nuts to the platform...he doubled over from pain and front flipped off the platform and hit the ground with a thud. He had to drag/crawl to his truck.
I know it's wrong but I couldn't help it I laughed. I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt though...
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: check these out - 04/18/17 08:16 PM

The best thing about those old stands was inspiring smart people to make something better. I spent many a day sitting in a homemade baker clone, scares me now just thinking about it!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM