Aldeer.com

Fawn with antlers breaking the skin?

Posted By: ChrisAU

Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 09:25 PM

Wondering if this guy hit the minerals hard at our place as a newborn or if he's 1.5?

Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 09:31 PM

face looks more 1.5

I have one on my place that looks just like him.

fawns will usually have fuzzy knots with a small hard antler on top.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 09:38 PM

Shooter!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 09:42 PM

I think he's a late born 2015 buck, about 1 year and 3 months old. Face and head sure doesn't look like a fawn.
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 10:08 PM

My 8yr old missed one just a little more than that last week. I had to look hard to find themore:) He was small though I ended up thinking he was this years deer but might not have been. I just know ive killed spikes wuth much bigger body size. Usually they're like what Fred said but I've had a few pics over the years where I could see short spikes sticking out of a knot head.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 10:20 PM

I personally have seen very few buck fawns with hard antler showing, and none of those has been over 3/8" .
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 10:56 PM

Here's a 1.5 yr old on same cam.

I ask because we were really religious with minerals this year for the first time ever on the property. About 2 weeks ago I had two button bucks within 5 yards of me, one looked like a normal button head, lumps on his noggin. The other looked like his were painful, he had good 3/4-1" knots coming out between his ears. We have multiple 1.5 year olds with 5-8" spikes and I'm wondering if a deer born in 2016 could possibly even half antlers that break the skin - I'm ignorant on the subject.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 11:00 PM

Buck fawns with hard antler on top would be fairly rare in most of Alabama. May be more common in areas like Bankhead that have an early rut and therefore early birthing date. I know it is more common in northern states.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/23/17 11:04 PM

I've had a handful over the years up here break the hairline barely but for most part little nubby bucks on their first year.
Posted By: perchjerker

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 01:26 AM

I agree with 2D. They are late born fawns due to too many does requiring late breeding to get bred. If there were few does as many say, the ones remaining would be bred quickly and you wouldn't see scrapes during turkey season.
Posted By: mman

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 06:59 AM

Last year, I saw a fawn with maybe 6" spikes. The deer was small, maybe 50 lbs or so. Never have seen anything like that before or since. Someone else in our club also saw it and made a comment that they had never seen a fawn with spikes.

We've also had some +- 100 pound deer with 1/2" or less spikes/buttons. Not sure what is going on there either, but I usually see several each year. I've always thought they were the ones that were born very late and instead of being 1 1/2 years old, they are closer to 1 year olds. Just a thought.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 07:42 AM

mman, I can promise you that spike with 6" spikes was NOT a last years fawn. Ain't possible, kind of like a bigfoot sighting. Science dosen't support it.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
mman, I can promise you that spike with 6" spikes was NOT a last years fawn. Ain't possible, kind of like a bigfoot sighting. Science dosen't support it.

Whatever. You weren't there. I know what I saw. What would you think if you saw a 50 lb deer with 6" spikes? I guess it could have been a dwarf of some kind or some type of genetic anomaly, but I know what I saw.

I saw nearly 250 deer last year while hunting. Many of them came from the location where I saw the spike. I saw many of the same deer on many occasions. I could tell many of the individual does apart because I had seen them several times. I was used to seeing deer in this area. The small deer had a fawn type head, very short, with around 6" spikes.

Another member, who hunts in the same general area who is also very experienced, mentioned to me that he had seen a fawn with antlers coming out of its head. He too thought the deer was around 50 lbs. He has always been very reliable and accurate when describing deer that he has seen. Neither of us had seen anything like it.

So, if you can promise it wasn't a fawn, how do you explain a 50 lb deer with 6" spikes?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:08 AM

Axis deer done got loose sounds like laugh

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

Haha, or maybe a keys deer wandered up into central Alabama.
Posted By: bamabound

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: mman
Originally Posted By: 257wbymag

Haha, or maybe a keys deer wandered up into central Alabama.

We better hope not, they are infected with screw worm and dying by the dozens!!!
Far as the OP topic I see half a dozen little 1/2 to 1 in spikes on our lease in Butler county every year. 75- 100 lb deer. Always thought they were late born fawns from previous year.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 09:38 AM

I'd think I saw a late deer that was small for age with six inch spikes.

I've got a doe on my place that is two years old and weighs maybe 60 pounds, a 1.5 year old buck with 2" spikes that weigh maybe sixty pounds. It happens, unlike five month old bucks with six inch spikes which does not happen.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 09:51 AM

I've got a doe on my place that is two years old and weighs maybe 60 pounds, a 1.5 year old buck with 2" spikes that weigh maybe sixty pounds. It happens, unlike five month old bucks with six inch spikes which does not happen.

Yep
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 06:37 PM

Anything is possible inside the big pen Fred.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 07:25 PM

I personally have seen very few buck fawns with hard antler showing, and none of those has been over 3/8" .

me either but with any thing there's always a rare one.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: HippieKiller
Anything is possible inside the big pen Fred.

ya'll didn't mention the "big pen".... grin
Posted By: top cat

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:36 PM

Some of our deer are born as early as June. As a result some of the button bucks are showing white tips now. And they chase does. Don't think they know why but they do.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/24/17 08:46 PM

TC, watched a good buck chasing a knothead the other day, till he caught up and sniffed him LOL I guess he needed glasses....
Posted By: RonBuck

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 08:33 AM

Just had a nice spotted 8 come through checking does .

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 10:10 AM

So, out of curiosity, how do you know it is not a fawn with 2" spikes? It's hard to believe you have a 1.5 year old buck that only weighs 60 lbs. You must have some mighty small deer on your place.

Or, in my case, it could have been some type of an anomaly where a very early fawn grew a 6" set of spikes. Unless it was some type of dwarf, there is NO WAY it was a year old, either!!!

On our property, all late buck fawns from the previous year weigh nearly 100 lbs by the next hunting season. I've seen quite a few over the years and have NEVER seen one that still only weighed around 50 lbs.

I know what I saw and what you didn't see. It had a fawn's head. It had around 6" spikes coming out of that fawn shaped head. Another experience hunter who has always been very accurate in his descriptions of deer saw a fawn with several inch spikes. We can tell the difference between a fawn and yearling. We both concluded it was a fawn. Actually, my son, also saw it.

I guess unless the deer are killed and the teeth looked at, we will never know for certain if they were fawns or yearlings.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 10:51 AM

as my wife says...whatever.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 10:55 AM

So, out of curiosity, how do you know it is not a fawn with 2" spikes? It's hard to believe you have a 1.5 year old buck that only weighs 60 lbs. You must have some mighty small deer on your place.

Or, in my case, it could have been some type of an anomaly where a very early fawn grew a 6" set of spikes. Unless it was some type of dwarf, there is NO WAY it was a year old, either!!!

On our property, all late buck fawns from the previous year weigh nearly 100 lbs by the next hunting season. I've seen quite a few over the years and have NEVER seen one that still only weighed around 50 lbs.

I know what I saw and what you didn't see. It had a fawn's head. It had around 6" spikes coming out of that fawn shaped head. Another experience hunter who has always been very accurate in his descriptions of deer saw a fawn with several inch spikes. We can tell the difference between a fawn and yearling. We both concluded it was a fawn. Actually, my son, also saw it.

I guess unless the deer are killed and the teeth looked at, we will never know for certain if they were fawns or yearlings.

If the science doesn't back up that a yearling can grow bone that big, the burden of proof is on you to prove that they can. You can say what you want all day long, but the science isn't there to support it.

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

If the science doesn't back up that a yearling can grow bone that big, the burden of proof is on you to prove that they can. You can say what you want all day long, but the science isn't there to support it.

You spent too many days alone with Gary.

I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone else. I saw a 50 lb buck with around 6" spikes. Believe it or not, I DON'T CARE!!!!

Re: Fawn with antlers breaking the skin? - 01/26/17 11:26 AM

as my wife says...whatever.

Actually, I'm with you on that one.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM