Aldeer.com

So when is the red fox rut?

Posted By: Smells

So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 12:37 PM

Saw one this morning and about a minute later saw a larger one following. The second one whom I presume was a male did something I've never observed before, he "barked at the female" low and soft and I swear it sounded like a turkey yelp. If I had only heard it and not seen it I would have been sure it was a turkey yelping. They trotted off and I heard him a few more times. After about 5 minutes I heard the sound my dog makes when I step on her foot accidentally, one sharp quick cry and that was it. Didn't hear the male anymore. I don't know but I'm thinking maybe he caught her, did the deed, and that was that.

I love being in the woods, always something new to see and learn.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 12:43 PM

Guess you finally figured out the answer to that song that was so popular a cpl yrs ago...
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: NEbamahunter
Guess you finally figured out the answer to that song that was so popular a cpl yrs ago...

Been trying to get that song out of my head ever since.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 02:03 PM

Jan-feb.

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: NEbamahunter

??? Don't know it??? I probably wouldn't know it anyway since there hasn't been any new good music made since around 1978. I probably couldn't name 3 current pop stars to save my life.

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:30 PM

Has anybody else heard the "turkey bark" or the "fox yelp". That really tripped me out.

Also, seems like I've seen people talk about shooting them, is there really any reason to do that?
Posted By: Gobble4me757

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
Has anybody else heard the "turkey bark" or the "fox yelp". That really tripped me out.

Also, seems like I've seen people talk about shooting them, is there really any reason to do that?

They kill turkey poults...anything that is an enemy of turkeys is an enemy of me...

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:35 PM

No turkeys on this property so they get a pass 'cause I like watching them.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:36 PM

I say they "yip"...that's what it sound like. There's a large concentration of them in the block of woods behind my parents' house, I see them very regularly. I've heard them make a little "yip" bark a few times over the years. I watched two reds run off a bobcat once too, they were growling and yipping at it. That was cool to see!!!
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: So when is the red fox rut? - 01/11/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
No turkeys on this property so they get a pass 'cause I like watching them.

Cause you have so many foxes....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM