Aldeer.com

Rifle Light

Posted By: bambam32

Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:36 PM

I have a rail section I installed on my deer rifle for a bi-pod. I would like to add a detachable light for 1) recovering game or 2)walking from the stand to my truck. I would not have the light attached while hunting.

Would this be legal?
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:41 PM

Silver bracelets
Posted By: RustyShackleford

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:43 PM

good luck explaining that one.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:44 PM

I think you would be a very murky gray zone that even if you "win" you will still lose.

Get yourself a flashlight or headlamp.
Posted By: sethjamtoe

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:54 PM

Headlamp. A light attached to the rifle would be useless to get to/from the stand and will also get your azz in trouble if found with it.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:55 PM

Using your gun as a flashlight seems awful taskful. Get yourself a good flashlight or headlamp.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 08:57 PM

That's not a good idea.

They sell rechargeable headlights on eBay for $12. They work great and are very bright.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jbatey1
Using your gun as a flashlight seems awful taskful. Get yourself a good flashlight or headlamp.

Using your gun as a flashlight is asinine imho. Muzzle control should be priority number one.
Posted By: jbatey1

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: joshm28
Originally Posted By: jbatey1

Using your gun as a flashlight is asinine imho. Muzzle control should be priority number one.

No kidding.

"Hey Josh, shine your light over here so I can see."

"ok"

Boom. I'm dead.

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:23 PM

I hunt by my self a lot. I typically walk back to the truck with a cap light or no light at all. I was surprised by several unfriendly dogs while leaving the stand one night. The light would be for a situation like that, not to light the way. My fault for not explaining.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:25 PM

http://www.outdooralabama.com/legal-methods-hunting

220-2-.02 Legal Arms, Ammunition, and Equipment for Hunting

(1) GENERAL PROHIBITIONS:

(d) listed below, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt with a bow or gun that has a light source attached that is capable of casting a beam of light (including a laser sight) forward of said bow or gun or to possess such a light source adapted for attachment to said bow or gun while hunting.

---

Only says "while hunting." Does not specify the critter. A couple of years ago I contacted DCNR about setting up a rifle for raccoon hunting with an attached light/laser combo. Was told of the above prohibition.

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
http://www.outdooralabama.com/legal-methods-hunting

220-2-.02 Legal Arms, Ammunition, and Equipment for Hunting

(1) GENERAL PROHIBITIONS:

(d) listed below, it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt with a bow or gun that has a light source attached that is capable of casting a beam of light (including a laser sight) forward of said bow or gun or to possess such a light source adapted for attachment to said bow or gun while hunting.

---

Only says "while hunting." Does not specify the critter. A couple of years ago I contacted DCNR about setting up a rifle for raccoon hunting with an attached light/laser combo. Was told of the above prohibition.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Posted By: Eatmorepossum2

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 09:38 PM

This reminds me of bow hunting and carrying a scoped 44 magnum revolver for protection...lol
Posted By: SkipJack

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 10:51 PM

So a guy wants to put a railed light that is most likely over $100 with mount on his GUN to find game and walk to the deer stand in the dark when he can get a led headlamp from wally world for $20 that is 100% more useable, safe and practical for the situations he is describing...

A rail mounted weapon light is used for only one thing. Visually identifying what you are shooting at.

Man up and ask the question "Think i'll get in trouble if I have a light on my gun hunting"?

We aint stupid.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 10:55 PM

Put a light on a handgun. You should be carrying anyhow
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Rifle Light - 12/06/16 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
Put a light on a handgun. You should be carrying anyhow
yep
Posted By: Dixiecutter

Re: Rifle Light - 12/07/16 11:21 AM

perfectly legal. just show them this webpage.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Rifle Light - 12/07/16 06:34 PM

If you are going to go through the trouble and expense of mounting a light to your rifle(to see where you are going in the dark), you may as well make the light an IR torch and grab an ATN Xsite that can be used day and night. That way you can be more stealthy and spook less game allthewhile enjoying the same illegality you would have with just a light mounted.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM