Aldeer.com

Deer taking a nap

Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Deer taking a nap - 10/23/16 08:51 PM

Had a spike plop down 15 yards behind me while I was in a climber. It had me locked down for about half an hour. What's the longest you guys have had to wait out being locked down?
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/23/16 09:20 PM

Years ago I had a doe and yearling come in on me around 10-10:30. The yearling bed down bout 15 yards from the tree I was in while the doe wandered off. I spooked his ass off after about a hour so I could get down. Only time I have ever had a deer do that.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/23/16 09:24 PM

I had a mama bring a fawn in and bed it down a couple years ago right after I got in stand. Right before dark she came back, bleated a couple times and retrieved it. That little guy was there 2-3 hours.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 07:40 AM

Last year I had a 5 point bed down 25 yards from me. The way I was positioned in the tree, I had an perfect view of him but still would sometimes lose exactly where he was until he turned his head and I could see his rack move. It was so cool to watch how they are still alert to every sound and no wonder it's almost impossible to sneak up on them. He stayed there about 45 minutes then eased off.

Dr. B
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 07:57 AM

I've got this ladder stand set up at the edge of a landing that looks about 130 yards or so straight down a large logging road. Planted that road for the first time last year and one morning I had four does feed towards me down that nearly 100 yard greenfield for about two hours. Since they started at the far end of the road and were working their way towards me I was locked in the whole time, dead still, or I would have been busted. Watched them slowly feed from about 8:40 to 10:30 that morning, once they hit the unplanted landing about 30 yards from me they eased off.

I didn't do a good job attempting to hide the ladder stand, kind of exposed by aldeer standards, so it was fun seeing whether they were going to bust me or not. I just stayed still and they were never the wiser that a big bad hunter with a 7mag pointed right at them was right there. Kind of neat.
Posted By: TATUM

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 09:16 AM

I was in Illinois a few years ago had a yearling doe bed down about 25 yards from me. I watched her for about an hour then I got annoyed with her because I couldn't move much. Then tried to run her off waving my hands at her I even threw a stick at her she just kept on laying there so I gave up. Well at 10 that morning a big eight point came trotting thru and went straight to her and got her up. Killed him at 15 yds. You jus never know .
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 09:46 AM

I honestly wouldn't let a spike stop me from leaving a tree. I'd climb down if I were ready to leave. Is that the question? Or you just asking how long have you had one around?
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 09:56 AM

That's happened to me on two occasions. Each time it lasted about 20-30 mins before they got up and moved.
Posted By: jameyr

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/24/16 10:51 PM

A few seasons ago, I had a nice 7 pt (recognized him from pics, 3yo nicknamed "corkscrew") bed down on a ridge upwind 100 yds away for over 1.5 hrs, from 11a to after 12:30. I was in my climber, peak of the rut. He was facing and watching upwind but would doze off and his nose would gradually drop and touch the ground and he would be startled back awake. He seemed worn slap out. After awhile I decided to try to figure out how to take take his pic so my buddies could see... with a nonsmart phone and my binocs. This is best I could do. Hard to see but he's facing away with haunches towards me.

Finally a doe came by and he jumped her trail and chased her right by me. 5 min later another smaller buck came by on her trail.

One of my favorite hunts. Ended up hunting all day.

Posted By: Stickers

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/25/16 08:27 PM

I guess 5 years ago I had a nice racked buck walk in and all the sudden disappear... looking hard through binoculars I finally saw his antler tips in the sage by a pine 100 yards away.... watched him lay there 2 hrs. He got up and finally worked his way through some brush( I am only glimpsing him); he reaches a point in the brush at a creek; if he goes right , I never see him. He comes left and he walks within 50 yards of me. He steps out at 4:50 ( this is Dec 3, so it is getting dark). Stands broadside. I shoot ... clean miss him aimed in direction of setting sun. He has no idea( since boom is loud) where shot came from, but takes a jump step forward. Changes my angle to sunset and scope gathers just enough light I can see him. I shot him at 4:48pm. Very good 10 point- 145". Cool experience.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/26/16 08:55 AM

Two years ago a nice younger buck came into my food plot middle of rut and laid down right in the middle of it by himself.

He ate everything he could reach while laying down then started nodding off. He got up and stretched about an hour later.

Reminded me of hitting waffle house at 3am after drinking beer and chasing the ladies all night.
Posted By: Big Al

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/26/16 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickers
I guess 5 years ago I had a nice racked buck walk in and all the sudden disappear... looking hard through binoculars I finally saw his antler tips in the sage by a pine 100 yards away.... watched him lay there 2 hrs. He got up and finally worked his way through some brush( I am only glimpsing him); he reaches a point in the brush at a creek; if he goes right , I never see him. He comes left and he walks within 50 yards of me. He steps out at 4:50 ( this is Dec 3, so it is getting dark). Stands broadside. I shoot ... clean miss him aimed in direction of setting sun. He has no idea( since boom is loud) where shot came from, but takes a jump step forward. Changes my angle to sunset and scope gathers just enough light I can see him. I shot him at 4:48pm. Very good 10 point- 145". Cool experience.

Hey man, how did you manage to go back in time? 4:50 he stepped out, and then you shot him at 4:48. I need to learn how to do that.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/26/16 03:48 PM

I've had fawns napping under me for close to an hour or more while mom fed in the area. They would get up and stretch about every 15 minutes or so and then lay right back down until mom came to them.
Posted By: jbc

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/26/16 07:16 PM

I had a shooter buck come in on a string and plop down in palmettos at about 15 yards, and laid for hour and a half a few years ago.

I stood in lockon ready, holding bow with release on loop the whole time.

Apparently he figured it out, when he did stand up, he was skint back
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Deer taking a nap - 10/26/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Al
Originally Posted By: Stickers

Hey man, how did you manage to go back in time? 4:50 he stepped out, and then you shot him at 4:48. I need to learn how to do that.

Fatfinger typo....4:40 to 4:48
© 2024 ALDEER.COM