Aldeer.com

Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season?

Posted By: Remington270

Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:40 AM

I'm always amazed at how many guys on here can alter their work schedule to fit around deer season. I wish I could! How many of y'all work less/ take off around deer season?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:41 AM

I don't work during deer season.....

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I don't work during deer season.....

I didn't figger you worked much during any season laugh
Posted By: BradB

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:44 AM

I usually take a week or two during early to mid-season, usually Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks and take 2-3 weeks the last of season.The holiday weeks are mainly family oriented but the rut hunt is just me out in the middle of the woods with no obligations other than chasing deer.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:45 AM

LOL!

I save 40 to 60 hours of leave for hunting season. If I don't have any meetings scheduled or deadlines due I can pretty much work the hours I want. I'll regularly work 9 to 11 hour days anyway so I can usually work 4 days during the week if I want and save the leave for later in the season

Best time to hunt deer in a pressured area is wed/thurs so I often take one of those off during a given week
Posted By: DaBreeze

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:47 AM

Unfortunately, my work causes me to be a weekend warrior.
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 09:59 AM

I usually save as much vacation as I can for hunting season but this year we had another baby boy in February so it eat my time up pretty quick.

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SuperSpike
I usually save as much vacation as I can for hunting season but this year very had another baby boy in February so it eat my time up pretty quick.

Nobody to blame but yourself laugh Congratulations.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:43 AM

You're a doc - just take off a few months.
Posted By: tbest3

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:48 AM

I'm lucky enough to, for the most part, work my 40 hours whenever I want, as long as I have my 40 by the end of the week. Plus I save up annual leave for deer/duck season.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:49 AM

I only work every other week during deer season....which is exactly like the rest of the year for me.
Posted By: MarksOutdoors

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:58 AM

Dude, you need to get your priorities straight. I get three weeks of vacation and two weeks of plant shutdown during Christmas. I always save a week of vacation for the season and probably spend half the shutdown in a tree. Vacation renews in January and I burn at least 4 days in a tree.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:13 AM

Take 3-4 weeks off around new years every year.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:28 AM

I work 7-7, so I'm a man of leisure for half the year anyway. Save my vacation for spring!!
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:28 AM

I'm in charge so.... No. I'll get a couple extra days for holidays, etc. at best.
Posted By: jono23

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:38 AM

This is the deal for me.

There is that new law being passed in January with the whole if you don't make this much salary then you have to be paid hourly deal so they know you are getting paid for hours worked or at least making minimum wage. I don't make the threshold on my salary, so I got bumped to hourly at the church. They also don't pay overtime right now due to budget reasons.

SO

With a ministry job, you hit 40 hours pretty DANG quick. Its worked out nice for deer season...because I hit 40 hours by the end of Wednesday. So I get Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday now.
Posted By: nacho

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:39 AM

Fire department schedule is the best for deer work every third day and take a day off equals 5 days of hunting. Best thing I ever did was become a firefighter!
Posted By: Big AL 76

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:43 AM

I have between atleast 5 weeks of time every year to use whenever...and can roll-over up to 160hrs a year

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jono23
This is the deal for me.

There is that new law being passed in January with the whole if you don't make this much salary then you have to be paid hourly deal so they know you are getting paid for hours worked or at least making minimum wage. I don't make the threshold on my salary, so I got bumped to hourly at the church. They also don't pay overtime right now due to budget reasons.

SO

With a ministry job, you hit 40 hours pretty DANG quick. Its worked out nice for deer season...because I hit 40 hours by the end of Wednesday. So I get Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and half of Sunday now.

Dang dude! Pretty sweet.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:54 AM

I work 4 days a week, off 3. Once a month I'm off 6 days in a row. Combine that with a week of vacation and I'll be off 15 days straight in December.
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 01:05 PM

I'm in the lawn&landscape business, so by default I work less the farther into the winter we get. This is handy because I enjoy hunting. Sadly, I prefer fishing, especially offshore, but I now stay to busy during Spring, Summer and early Fall to go much at all.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 01:07 PM

Damn at all the vacation time some folks have. Never knew folks got that much time off.
Posted By: booner

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 01:11 PM

Our work is usually pretty slow during hunting season (oil field work) and my boss understands that I will hunt regardless either way. He lets me pretty much make my own schedule during hunting season as long as I handle my side of things at work first. Even then, he knows that my truck is always packed and that I am apt to head Northbound at any given moment.
Posted By: jawbone

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 01:46 PM

Back before I retired I was getting two days off a month and could accrue time up to 480 hours. Most people wanted off in the summers so it was easy for me to take off as much time in January as I wanted. By the time the season ended, I was ready to go back to work.
Posted By: HuntingRealtor

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 02:01 PM

Heck, become a realtor like me. I can send emails and texts while hunting. Schedule meetings and showings middle of the day......
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 02:27 PM

I'm off three days one week then four the next. Usually burn a day or two vacation during the season.
Posted By: eclipse829

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 03:28 PM

I get 5 weeks a year vacation, 7 holidays, Birthday, 2 floating holidays and 160 hrs of sick time I can take without an excuse. I typically take off the 1st week or so of Bow season and then from Dec 1st through new years day. Then depending on where I'm hunting, I may take a week in Jan. My vac/sick time resets Jan 1st. No accrual.
Posted By: Whit1980

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 03:42 PM

I mostly work all week every week and hunt vicariously through you fellows.
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 03:59 PM

...I do get 2 weeks off for plant shutdown at christmas. The way my off days fall I will get almost 3 wks. It worked out good last year.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 05:55 PM

On the farm we bust our tails in the fall to get next years rice ground ready to plant.(3-4 more days and everything is done). Nothing to do all winter on the farm. My job with the sheriffs office, I work 7&7 and I get 2 weeks vacation. If I take it all at one time I get 5 weeks off. If I put a week in between I get 6 weeks off. Also with all the ground ready this time of year, that less we have to do in the spring so more turkey hunting time.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: booner
Our work is usually pretty slow during hunting season (oil field work) and my boss understands that I will hunt regardless either way. He lets me pretty much make my own schedule during hunting season as long as I handle my side of things at work first. Even then, he knows that my truck is always packed and that I am apt to head Northbound at any given moment.

what you gonna do when he calls your bluff and fires your azz?
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 07:11 PM

Im getting screwed, I get 160 hours paid sick/personal days and 7 days paid vacation. Thats if I work 50 hours/week
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 07:45 PM

Most of my work use to run out around the end of Nov. or the first week of Dec. when capital funds ran out. Wouldn't pick back up till 2nd week of Jan. when new years PO #s would come good. Last year extra money came up and we worked pretty much straight through. Hopefully this year money runs out on schedule.
Posted By: DeerNutz0U812_

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 07:54 PM

I usually take the first 2 weeks of Nov. off to hunt the rut... beers...That will leave me with a couple days of sick leave just in case... sick... I'm a Model Employee in case you didn't know it... smile
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
.. No. I'll get a couple extra days for holidays, etc. at best.

X2
Posted By: Bbdown

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 08:58 PM

I'm off everyday.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 09:08 PM

I usually take about 4 weeks off for deer season. A week in November and then usually the rest at the end of the season.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 09:40 PM

On good cold weather days I tend to get sick often. Most of the time I dont ever take off work until deer season starts though and ill take a week if possible at the end of the season.
Posted By: FlyinRN

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 10:53 PM

My schedule is similar to a firefighter, except I work every 4th day. So, I work 8 days a month. smile Plus I accrue time off. I've got about 200 hours saved right now. Come on January!
Posted By: Ant67

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/21/16 11:10 PM

Got good hunting land 4 miles south of office and another spot 6 miles west. I rarely take a whole day off. Got my shooting houses set up on fields where I can get in without spooking deer. I will usually work till about 3:45 and be in the stand by 4 on any cold day.
Posted By: firemanrob12

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/23/16 05:25 PM

PREACH ! beers
Probably one of the deciding factors was deer season and the offtime.
Posted By: March15

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/23/16 08:07 PM

I'll take a day or 2 in February. Use several weeks in turkey season.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/26/16 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbdown
I'm off everyday.

So if I shoot my hand off I can retire early?
Posted By: mman

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/27/16 06:47 AM

I work a 4 day work week so I hunt most every Friday and Saturday. I come home so I can be there on Sunday. Then I usually take off the week of Thanksgiving and 3 straight weeks at Christmas/New Years, which is mostly devoted to hunting. Then after the first of the year, I often take off the week of the MLK holiday.
Posted By: Big Al

Re: Decreased/ No work scheduled for deer season? - 10/27/16 09:25 AM

I usually try to save a week or two for the season, but being that I don't usually get to hunt any after Christmas due to high work volume, and the fact that's it's usually still pretty warm before Christmas, I usually spend the time with my wife and daughter instead of hunting. I always say I'm going to try and hunt more next year, but for the last 6 or 7 years, I usually manage to hunt only 1 or 2 days each season.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM